• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Aft end of boom - Part Wear Remedies/Ideas?

EMKoper

Member II
Hello, happy start of the season to all!

Of the parts of the boat that are in constant slow-motion state of becoming broken, I offer this below photo for advice and assistance. This is a close up of the metal part at the aft end of the boom (if anyone knows the name of this part or what it is made of, please let me know ... it also holds the sheaves for the reefing system and I think the outhaul) and it shows some considerable wear on both the port/starboard side. In the photo you can see the wire line that is the topping lift and the main halyard that is supporting the boom attached to a snap hook. The wear are on this side is indicated by the red arrow but you can see the wear on the opposite side through the snap hook.

I presume this is caused by 30 years of wear of the boom against the wire topping lift or the snap hook while at the dock ... or ... the potential that a PO regularly kept tension on the topping lift during sail which forced the wear. The first seems like the forces while at rest are random and not so rough at that location on the part. The second seems like it would be lots of sailing with the topping lift under tension (and they sailed to the same to port as starboard it seems, since the wear is even on each side)

What do you think caused such wear?

Has anyone had such an issue?

How did you resolve it/repair it or give it a new surface to wear?

I am cringing at the potential cost of a new machined part ... I am doubting I'll find one of these on a shelf anywhere. Were Ericson mid-80's booms common with any other boat type that i might widen my search for a replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 240

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It looks like you have an internal boom topping lift to hold the boom up. Very important piece of gear. If they ever break or let go, mayhem.

If so, the aluminum ears with pin don't serve a purpose. Maybe they were originally for a mast topping lift (adjustable through a masthead sheave). Maybe they're there because some people like to lead their halyard back after sailing.

Mine looked worse than yours--gouged and worn such that they could snag a line. I couldn't figure out the cause of the wear either. *

I ground them off with angle grinder.

*Well, I guess on second thought it's pretty obvious: The topping lift is a wire. It is often slack while sailing--very slack, if you keep the boom low to make it easier to put the sail cover on. While sailing, the TL wire slaps around, wearing away the aluminum ears. We know we're supposed to get up there and tighten the TL up, but something else always comes up. Like beer.

ragged.JPG ground.JPG
Before and After

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
It the picture is correct and the wear is only around the topping lift pin one might buy a garhauer vang and not use the topping lift

EMKoper

Member II
.... only around the topping lift pin ...

I think Christian is right ... the pin doesn't serve any purpose today except let my main halyard support the boom at the dock. There might be a grinding in my future (which is the free fix to prevent future issues) ... I don't see any reason why my topping lift would fail at the dock or need halyard support. Except that is where my main halyard rests when not in use ... that is where it has always been and I haven't questioned it.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Good News and Bad News - Kenyon Parts at Rig Rite

Eric,

I feel bad that I have to be the EY.o member that tells you this info but sooner or later someone had too. :mad:

Good News. Yes, there are parts for your boom sitting on a shelf at Rig Rite. Rig Rite buys the remaining parts and drawings/design info, maybe even spare parts, from the deceased mast manufactures and provides parts. Their website is worth browsing to see what parts look like and who made them, plus model/part numbers. Here is the page for the E35 boom:

http://rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/3756-boom.php

You may find that some small custom part for your mast or boom is needed and they have it or will make it.

Bad News, you need to be sitting down when you hear the prices. Rig Rite is also not known for stupendous customer service although I've had decent support the few times I've talked to them. You WILL know what the highest price you are facing for a part is after you talk to Rig Rite!
For example: my Goiot opening ports, 3" x 10" acrylic lens - $135 each. Actual material price for four ports - $20. Cut and trimmed myself for free. Obviously, not a part you should get from Rig Rite. I DID buy the mast track gate parts from Rig Rite for my Kenyon mast. Overpriced, but less than $20 and saved me time at a machine shop.

Mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree it is good to know RigRite is there while we try every possible other option.

Allow me to note something in Eric's photo above: that split cotter ring. Our boats are full of them and most are worn out. A straight cotter pin is better.

A sprung ring will eventually snag on double braid and get quietly yanked out. Unlikely anybody will notice. Until the pin falls out.

Almost all the pins they secure--lifelines among them--are critical gear.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks for that link, Mark. The very bottom item on the list has long been missing from my boat. (At first I thought it was the same as the pic in the OP - same shape, different thing.) I've been getting by with various shackles and toggles that I can squeeze through the slot. Nothing has lasted very long. Next up, short of trying to have someone fabricate it, I may just try lashings.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If that's the outhaul car, my sailmaker told me not to replace mine.

He prefers a simple length of Dacron tape with Velcro both sides. Installed through the outhaul cringle and around the boom, it slides with outhaul adjustments.

1third reef 1.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have the outhaul car, or at least the bottom part of it. What's missing is the triangular thingy that actually attaches the clew to the car.

Another way of looking at is that Darwinian Selection has eliminated these weak links from the boat, and maybe it's time for something else to fill that niche.

EMKoper

Member II
"*Well, I guess on second thought it's pretty obvious: The topping lift is a wire. It is often slack while sailing--very slack, if you keep the boom low to make it easier to put the sail cover on. While sailing, the TL wire slaps around, wearing away the aluminum ears."

Hum... I am not sure it is so obvious. My topping lift while sailing (while slightly slack, as it should be... or a little more slack, as it usually is) doesn't slap around at all under general conditions. With my bimini set-up, I need some tension on the lift to avoid boom contact at crossing but while not in transition the line is usually a little slack but never moving violently. Usually it ends up a little slack and resting on the downwind side mostly behind the main. I think the cause is still undetermined but I will watch more closely this season.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your fitting may be different. No doubt on mine. You can see the proximity of wire to alum in the 'before' picture.

Ian S

Member III
If you want to repair the Tang which may prove unnecessary you can take that fitting to any good welder and have it either spliced or built back up and ground back to the desired shape. We have sent out many aluminum castings to be repaired or modified in just such a manner. Propeller shops are generally capable of this work too, so maybe start there.
Also wanted to reiterate what Christian had said about split rings, DITCH EM! they are trouble.thier like a barbed hook around braided line and will only be matter of time until one gets snagged and pulled out. Racing on an E38 many years ago and the guy had used split rings on the cap shroud lower pins. we came about and I noticed the rig was about two feet off to leeward (I was trimming the main). I said OH S__T! I screamed come about -- right now! Only reason he didn't loose the rig or least the top of the rig was because we had a reef in her. Scary! It did leave a few ripples in the top of the spar though.

Capt. Ian