Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I fell for it ("Fake" USCG Documentation Service)

post mark

sounds like USCG is now mailing directly to the address of record of the CoD
    Valinor 1987 E34 Hull#243 2005 Volvo Penta D1-30

Contributing Partner
    Channel Islands Harbor, California, United States

5 year renewal

FYI... USCG certificate of vessel documentation can now be renewed for 1 to 5 years at $26 bucks per year:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-28-130935-400

Just be aware the "fake" documentation companies can charge as much as $300 bucks for five years.

Cheers,

Max
    September Sun
    ERY35240D686

Contributing Partner

USVesselDocumentation

Back in the spring, I started the process of reviving the USCG documentation of my boat.
    I think I found USVesselDocumentation by on-line search - I don't think I realized it was an independent service and not part of the USCG.
    But, I will say they did a lot legwork to get this task finally completed successfully.
    My situation:
    - I bought my boat from the estate of another member of our yacht club - he had bought it as a current documented vessel about 5 years earlier
    - he bought it from a guy in FL, who has since died (I'm trying to ignore the trend here)
    - ownership was formally changed in the USCG records, but when renewal of the annual fee came around, it was not renewed.
    - huge complicating factor - in TN, privately owned boats have to be registered (and fee paid, of course), but the State does not issue any sort of Title. Even though I could prove I'd registered the boat, and I had a bill of sale from the estate I bought it from, the USCG didn't accept those documents as proof of ownership. Apparently, USCG wasn't aware that a small number of States don't issue Titles on private boats.
    - but,
    USVesselDocumentation found documents that convinced USCG that it was a thing.
    - it took 5 months, and I had to go back to the end of the queue at USCG three times (i.e., each time I/we sent an extra document that USCG required in lieu of the 'normal' documents they expect to see - ~10 weeks in the queue each time)
    - but, next year, I'll be paying the renewal fee directly to USCG, and, thanks to this thread, I will be on the alert if
    USVesselDocumentation sends me a reminder that looks like it's from the USCG.
    Thanks!!
    E32-3 #655
    Traveller
    Knoxville, TN

Blog Entries
    To clarify a question about my documentation, I telephoned the US Government.

A nice woman answered and we chatted amicably. I was all set, turns out it wasn't time to renew yet.

Sounds like vivid dreaming, I know, but it happened.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. This has happened to me before.

Name:  documentaton.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  60.3 KB
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting