• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

84 35-3 sheave sizes?

JoeH

Member I
Do any E 35-3 owners know the dimensions for the mast top sheaves? I replaced wire/rope halyards with all rope and have trouble with the splice going over the sheave.
I won't be pulling the mast any time soon, so trying to figure it out ahead of time.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hello Joe,

I don't recall exactly. When we bought our boat we pulled the mast. At the time the biggest line I was comfortable with was 3/8", although you might be able to use 7/16". Instead of splices I've just used knots, and cut them off ever few years to move shift all of the wear points. I think the problem with some splices is that not only are they wider, but they aren't as flexible (at least initially) and can have trouble fitting around a sheave. We used "modern" line which was so overstrength that I wasn't concerned about the "weak" knots. Its worked well for us.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I changed out the original wire/rope halyards in our '88, with a Kenyon spar, I tried 3/8", and it works... but really has some noticeable drag where it goes thru the masthead sheaves. When I went to 5/16" very low stretch (T-900) line, no more problem.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I had a 7/16" main halyard for many years that had no problem at the masthead. It died from chafe at the lower mast exit in 2015. There was no wear evident at any other location.

I did replace it with 3/8" NE Ropes VPC from Milwaukee Rigging which has very good prices. Interestingly, their Ebay store is much more expensive than their regular store. I have bought from them before and have had good service.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't know what size the sheaves are for a 35-III, but I'll share that the sheaves on a 32-III are 2.5" diameter, 0.475" wide and nominally sized for 3/8" line.

All my current halyards are 3/8", all rope. I've got a spin halyard that is telling me it wants some attention this year, and I'm probably going to replace it with 5/16" VPC so that it runs free with minimal resistance from masthead or exit slot.

My main and jib halyards will likely stay 3/8"... jib only goes up and down a few times a season, the rest of the time it is furled; the main halyard stoppers are sized for the 3/8" line and it ain't broke, so no need to change it.

$.02
Bruce

ETA: photo of 32-III masthead with 3/8" halyards. I think I have a photo of one of the sheaves, too, if that's of value...

halyards.jpg

Last edited:

EGregerson

Member III
sheaves

when i swapped out a couple of my sheaves (like 10 years ago) i noted that they had a 'V' shaped design to accommodate the wire; discussions suggested that with a wire to rope conversion, u should change to the 'U' shaped sheave; also to avoid any potential burr damage to the new rope.

a little more research: cruisersforum: the swap to rope while retaining the original V shape reduces the safe working load by compressing the rope in the V groove.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Many of us have been advised that the wire sheaves accept rope with no problem. Worth further research.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Yes, all-rope halyards will work fine over sheaves made for wire/rope halyards.

Darrel

Member I
Up the mast

Many of us have been advised that the wire sheaves accept rope with no problem. Worth further research.

After replacing my Halyards I went up the mast to do some work and decided to inspecte the sheaves accepting the rope. I can say on my '83 35-3 I have no issues with the current set up using all rope.