• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Heaving To E28+

matt_southbound

For some reason I can't quite get my boat to heave to correctly. I sheet in the main, backwond the jib,and lock the wheel all the way over, but the bow falls way off the wind. This brings me beam to the waves, with the boat bouncing around quite a bit. I tried furling the jib to take some pressure off the bow, but this didn't work well either, and the boat began picking up speed from the mainsail.

Any tips from owners of similarl boats?

paul culver

Member III
Try going into the heave-to from a reach rather than close hauled and see if that helps. Also are you locking the wheel in a position that turns the boat into the wind?

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Last edited:

bolbmw

Member III
You'll need to play with all sail controls to see what you can do. Mainsheet, traveller, etc. As a sloop you may never get it to truly heave to and make no way. I find with my 30+ I can get pretty close but I can't stop the boat. If you're falling off of the wind, try powering up the mainsail a bit. It's a delicate balance between making way and pointing the right way and it's not a fin keeled sloops strength, but you should be able to get really close.

paul culver

Member III
You'll need to play with all sail controls to see what you can do. Mainsheet, traveller, etc. As a sloop you may never get it to truly heave to and make no way. I find with my 30+ I can get pretty close but I can't stop the boat. If you're falling off of the wind, try powering up the mainsail a bit. It's a delicate balance between making way and pointing the right way and it's not a fin keeled sloops strength, but you should be able to get really close.

Well said and yes the boat will always make some way.

Paul
E29 "Bear"