• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shower Bilge Drain Mystery

vincentshine

Member I
Hi all,

We have recently acquired a very well maintained 1985 Ericson 30+ here in Chicago. But, like all older boats with multiple owners, there are mysteries to be solved. So looking for thoughts on this one.

As many know there are 2 bilges on the Ericson 30, the main bilge and the shower bilge with seperate pumps. Here's my problem. The connecting hose from the shower pan to the shower bilge is disconnected. I intend to replace, but there appear to be 2 holes in the bilge wall where the connecting hose should be secured. One higher hole and one lower which has been filled in with silicon. I've included a pic.

So my question is, why would some previous owner drill a hole higher and fill in the other? When I install a connecting hose I would like to have the best possible draft. Seems like the lowest hole would be the correct one.

Also, It appears the originalconnecting hose was a flexible nylon mesh hose. I would like to have the most leak proof connection on the shower side and was thinking of ridge PVC with some kind of flange cemented to the exterior shower pan wall.

All thoughts and experience welcome. We're splashing her May 12.

Thanks, Vincent

Shower Bilge.jpg

Ian S

Member III
The upper hole should have a corrugated plastic conduit for the wiring run. The drain hose should be a 3/4' nylon re-enforced hose or that at least generally that what was used at the factory. get some light in there and see if the plastic conduit got pushed out of the hole accidentally. Also good policy to plug the conduit with some soft foam to keep water from entering copiously.

Capt. Ian

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the forum.

The first question to ask about the shower bilge is whether you'll ever use it. If the answer is "probably not", that solves many problems.

Shower bilges are finicky by nature, what with hoses and capture and soapy water and human hair and float switches and so on, and some of us conclude that the whole idea of a belowdecks shower facility on a small cruising boat is more advertising than utility.

Cheers!
Christian

u079721

Contributing Partner
Welcome to the forum.

The first question to ask about the shower bilge is whether you'll ever use it. If the answer is "probably not", that solves many problems.

Shower bilges are finicky by nature, what with hoses and capture and soapy water and human hair and float switches and so on, and some of us conclude that the whole idea of a belowdecks shower facility on a small cruising boat is more advertising than utility.

Cheers!
Christian

Well I have to agree with Christian that shower bilges can be problematic. But when we were shopping for a "real" boat, my wife had three criteria. First, big enough to safely cross Lake Huron, at night, in any reasonable weather. Two, an oven. Three, a separate shower compartment. Hence we ended up with an Ericson 38-200, and I had to keep the shower bilge running, AND keep it from leaking into the regular bilge (which is the greater challenge).

vincentshine

Member I
All, Thanks for the responses.

the previous owners installed a larger holding tank which required removing the outlet in the v-berth and I suspect removed the DC wiring as well that originally ran through the bilge.

I agree the shower adds complexity with varying perceptions of value. I will be back on the boat this weekend armed with 2 solutions, replumbing the shower drain or properly plugging the shower pan drain.

With that, any suggestions on adhering and sealing the nylon mesh tubing to fiberglass?

Thanks!