• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Used sails from E-38

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have three used dacron sails of indeterminate age that I got with the boat in 2003. I have purchased a new 135% roller-reefing genoa/jib and a new main, so these are surplus. None of them are torn.

300 sq. ft. main - some stains, 2 reef points
300 sq. ft. jib - about a 90% size, some stains, not roller reefing
155% genoa - I have hardly used it since it can't be effectively furled/reefed to a smaller size when a breeze kicks up suddenly

All are in bags. I am in the Seattle area. I am also trying to donate them, but I've just started to look at that option.

Make offer.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sails were given away

Not available any longer. I found a loft that would take them and hold them until a sail-re-user could come pick them up.

I called Seattle's Center for Wooden Boats (cwb.org) twice and never heard back from them.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I accepted the princely sum of $200 from Minnie's (local yacht surplus) for my old main and 135 genoa. They were not bad, probably 10-12 years old, full battens.

"We are so full of sails we don't even have room for them," the owner said. "So sorry, I know they're worth more. Here, take a free T-shirt".

Our old sails are shed awnings or drop cloths or whatever you can think up. Unless you have a needy and similar boat nearby, no market value at all.

Seems a shame.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I have three used dacron sails of indeterminate age that I got with the boat in 2003. I have purchased a new 135% roller-reefing genoa/jib and a new main, so these are surplus. None of them are torn.

300 sq. ft. main - some stains, 2 reef points
300 sq. ft. jib - about a 90% size, some stains, not roller reefing
155% genoa - I have hardly used it since it can't be effectively furled/reefed to a smaller size when a breeze kicks up suddenly

All are in bags. I am in the Seattle area. I am also trying to donate them, but I've just started to look at that option.

Make offer.

I have what I believe may be the original E38 Ulmer (UK) sails that I haven't even pulled from their bags yet as they appear to have stitching that's fallen apart and I will probably look to off load them as you have. I then have a set of 15 year old North Sails that were rigged and are probably OK for now, they're currently at the local North Sails loft being winter serviced.

I'd be very interested to know what size genoa you selected and why, also the brand of sails and cost if that's OK.

Cheers,
Mike

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have what I believe may be the original E38 Ulmer (UK) sails that I haven't even pulled from their bags yet as they appear to have stitching that's fallen apart and I will probably look to off load them as you have. I then have a set of 15 year old North Sails that were rigged and are probably OK for now, they're currently at the local North Sails loft being winter serviced.

I'd be very interested to know what size genoa you selected and why, also the brand of sails and cost if that's OK.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I hope this info helps.

I didn't do a detailed comparison of the various local sailmakers and spreadsheet it to compare the costs and claims. I selected North because I liked their cruising laminates and wanted to try them after racing on other people's boats with laminated sails. I did investigate heavy duty dacron through the rumor mill, but I didn't get an estimate. North's quotes were within my budget and I went forward (this was before I retired!).

I talked to the sailmaker quite a bit about the 100% jib vs. 130% genoa. I had a hard time with the 155% during the first season with the boat. So I used the 100% almost exclusively after that and liked it. My E38 with the old main and 100% jib didn't sail well to windward unless the wind is at least 10 knots. I am hoping that the laminate at 130% will drop that figure down to around 8. We'll see.

My North main is full batten with two reef points, and I installed a Tides Marine track ($600) in place of the aluminum insert that was in the mast. The track was a recommendation of the sailmaker and it is working out well. I can hoist it almost to the top myself without a winch, jacking it at the mast. It falls easily into my lazy jacks. The spec is as follows: 7.4 oz. NLXW+360+SISIL. It is the standard 300 sq. ft. triangular main.

The jib/genoa is a furling 130%, 7.0 oz. NLXW SISIL. It is designed to be roller furled and is marked to help me hit approximately 90% at the first reef.

The total cost for both sails was just under $14,000, including 9.5% sales tax, in 2014. I did get a discount - they were running a "sale" at the time.

This picture was taken while checking the main's reef points and running rigging. Wind was under 10 knots. I don't have a shot of the jib yet.

20150704_122036-small.jpg

Last edited:

lnill

Member III
Seabags

There is a company in Portland ME called "Seabags" that will take your sails and make you a free custom bag in return. I have a duffle with the logo from my first boats main and a large tote with the Ericson logo from our current boats original main.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi Mike,
I hope this info helps.

I didn't do a detailed comparison of the various local sailmakers and spreadsheet it to compare the costs and claims. I selected North because I liked their cruising laminates and wanted to try them after racing on other people's boats with laminated sails. I did investigate heavy duty dacron through the rumor mill, but I didn't get an estimate. North's quotes were within my budget and I went forward (this was before I retired!).

I talked to the sailmaker quite a bit about the 100% jib vs. 130% genoa. I had a hard time with the 155% during the first season with the boat. So I used the 100% almost exclusively after that and liked it. My E38 with the old main and 100% jib didn't sail well to windward unless the wind is at least 10 knots. I am hoping that the laminate at 130% will drop that figure down to around 8. We'll see.

My North main is full batten with two reef points, and I installed a Tides Marine track ($600) in place of the aluminum insert that was in the mast. The track was a recommendation of the sailmaker and it is working out well. I can hoist it almost to the top myself without a winch, jacking it at the mast. It falls easily into my lazy jacks. The spec is as follows: 7.4 oz. NLXW+360+SISIL. It is the standard 300 sq. ft. triangular main.

The jib/genoa is a furling 130%, 7.0 oz. NLXW SISIL. It is designed to be roller furled and is marked to help me hit approximately 90% at the first reef.

The total cost for both sails was just under $14,000, including 9.5% sales tax, in 2014. I did get a discount - they were running a "sale" at the time.

This picture was taken while checking the main's reef points and running rigging. Wind was under 10 knots. I don't have a shot of the jib yet.

View attachment 21726

Hey Craig, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Your 130% looks to be a good choice, I'll see how my 150% performs this summer in the Long Island Sound breezes before making any decision. Videos of the Tides Marine track performance look impressive when hoisting or dropping the main. I've a Dutchman system so will just have to see how that performs this season.

Cheers.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
There is a company in Portland ME called "Seabags" that will take your sails and make you a free custom bag in return. I have a duffle with the logo from my first boats main and a large tote with the Ericson logo from our current boats original main.

I'll look into Seabags as they have a local shop in Mystic, CT. It looks like if they accept the sail they can be dropped off at a local shop.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
SA note

Hey Craig, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Your 130% looks to be a good choice, I'll see how my 150% performs this summer in the Long Island Sound breezes before making any decision. Videos of the Tides Marine track performance look impressive when hoisting or dropping the main. I've a Dutchman system so will just have to see how that performs this season.

Cheers.

And, while pondering "how much is enough" headsail, remember that the picture of our boat doing over 7 Kts to hard on the wind in about 12 kts true shows a 95% composite jib with three battens.
Your BK-designed hull is, after all, Very easily driven, unlike the newer vacation homes marketed as sailboats. :rolleyes:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?albumid=26&attachmentid=19173

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Uses on your boat

I used my old mainsail to make a wheel cover, binnacle cover, winch covers, and a spinnaker for the dinghy. Sprayed like crazy with scotch guard. They've lasted two years in the Mid-Atlantic so far. Probably need some type of UV protection spray further south.

Small dinghy spin.jpgSpin1JPG.jpgwheel cover.jpgBin.jpg

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Kudos!

I used my old mainsail to make a wheel cover, binnacle cover, winch covers, and a spinnaker for the dinghy. Sprayed like crazy with scotch guard. They've lasted two years in the Mid-Atlantic so far. Probably need some type of UV protection spray further south.

Love that spinnaker for the dinghy idea. Very good uses for old sails. I kinda wish you'd posted this a month ago, but then I think of the space they took up in my garage and ... it was ok to donate them for something other than the landfill. Supposedly the company will use them for bags and such, as the company in Maine does. I have heard from a sailmaker that there is a used sail business in Friday Harbor, WA. But you have to deliver to them.

If you have more cloth maybe you could make one of those mortar-deployed kite spinnakers like our fishy friend in Waterworld used.