• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

You know where this is heading...

Far Out

"Hey Rich," I says to my friend Rich. "Let's go look at a boat."

Now let's be clear. I don't need a boat. I own a boat. Sure she's small and almost 40 years old, but we get along well. Over the years that I've owned her we've kind of worn together, like your foot and a blown out tennis shoe. So I don't need a boat. But I've seen pictures of this one…

So we drive to Port Ludlow, a sleepy little place on Hood Canal to meet the broker. The broker's not there, but the guy that runs the marina says "Head on down, the keycode is …" Down we walk, and there she is.

The bow sprit. The clipper bow. The cutter rig. The heart-shaped transom. The transom-hung rudder. Just like the pictures. Better than the pictures.

Then the broker shows up and we go on board. Beautiful woodwork. An Origo stove -- I've always wanted an Origo stove! A propane cabin heater! Simrad instruments! Raymarine radar!! A steering wheel!! A binnacle!! A little diesel motor tucked under the cabin steps!!! Everything that I'm looking at is making another star in my eye. I'm about to go blind and not see any of the boat's faults. But that's OK, that's why I brought Rich. He's my voice of reason. "I'm finding it hard to be reasonable about this boat," I hear him say. Uh oh.

So I sleep on it. I think about standing at the steering wheel back here and looking at the bow waaay up there. I think about trying to dock 11,400 pounds by myself and shake my head. I think about all of the new things that I have to learn. I need to be a diesel mechanic, an electrician, a rigger, a contortionist. The thought of this much boat terrifies me.

And yet. And yet. She's still on a close reach in my mind, all her sails flying.

There's a YouTube video that shows how to dock a boat single-handed using a midship cleat. There's another one that shows a single-handed sailor using an after spring to get off the dock. And it turns out the there's a Web site where people who like Ericson sailboats get together to swap help, encouragement, and stories. It turns out that there are other people out there just like me. Suddenly it's not so crazy to think that I could own this boat.

It's time to call in the professionals. Captain Richard, the delivery captain, to bring her from Port Ludlow to Port Townsend for the survey. Captain Jim, the surveyor. Notice how all these people are "Captain?" I don't know why either.

Cap'n Jim crawls around the boat. He pulls things. He prods things. He opens hatches that I don't event know are there. Turns out that back in the day Cap'n Jim sold these boats. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? In any case he spends the day with her and comes up with 12 work items, none of them critical and six of them are generic items that would get called out on any boat.

Then we take her out for her sea trial. They let me drive. We put the sails up to check them out. They let me sail. I don't want to give her back when we're done.

Back into the harbor. Up on the slings and out of the water. She's huge hanging there in the slings. Cap'n Jim gets out his little hammer and starts whacking her hull. Tap, tap, tap. I'm waiting for the "thunk." It never comes. Brand new paint. The price tags are still stuck to the zincs on the prop shaft. No soft spots. No blisters. No problems.

Plunk in the water. Cap'n Richard comes to take her home. The last I see her she's off of Port Townsend banging into the wind and waves. I stand in the rain and watch her go. It's a miserable day out on the water. I want to be out there, not here.

Just to be clear, I didn't need a boat. But I want to own "Far Out," a 1982 Squadron Liberty 31, hull #72.

And now I do.

Chuck

Attachments

• DSC_0160-800x533.jpg
    DSC_0160-800x533.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 198

dt222

Member III
Chuck,

I made the same transition last year, from an E'27 to Independence '31 (hull 60) and as I was reading your first impressions I felt the same way. It is a much larger boat with a much different feel- more solid- and yes, that bowsprit is a long way out there in front. I often single hand our boat, and it just takes some time getting used to it. My mantra is just to go slow in any docking or un-docking operation. I think you're going to enjoy her.

Don

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard Chuck,

Everyone one here is crazy in love with Ericsons and there are some really talented fiberglass, rigging, carpentry ect. experts here looking to share, share, share.

MJS

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Welcome to the forum, Chuck. She certainly is tempting.

OK, someone square me away. I am familiar with the Ericson 31 Independence. What is a 31 Ericson Liberty Bruce King design not built by Ericson?

Far Out

It's confusing

Bill,

I was more than a little confused too, but I'll quote (at length) the "Ericson 31 Hull History, More Stuff" by Glyn Judson. The PO had a copy of this in the paperwork that he left with the boat:

Three companies were responsible for manufacturing our beautiful 31's. Ericson Yachts made the first 71 hulls and then made the decision to go no further. Then I think an outfit that called themselves Cape Bay Shipbuilder's Corp. located in Humarock, Mass. made just one of these pretty 31's.

George Kramer tells me that Squadron Yachts of Bristol, Rhode Island attempted to make them next. My best guess is that they made about two or three hulls only. George owns two of these hulls and one deck.

My hull number is XUHLY072M82B. The "XUH" is the code for Squadron Yachts, so it's definitely not an Ericson.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Oh! For heaven's sake! Thank you Chuck and Glyn. So this boat is like an Ericson cousin, once removed, sort of.