• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Crealock 26

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
An old friend of mine here used to sail an E-26-1. He really like the way it sailed. (He had earlier owned an E-23-2, and knew Ericson's pretty well.)

Post up some pix when you can.

Regards,
Loren

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Welcome to the forum, 26. You have just tapped into the best knowledge/experience base of everything Ericson.

one21five

Member I
Thanks for the welcome :)

I'll post some pics when I can. Looking forward to sailing her this summer.

She needs a bit of work to get her up and sailing but I'll plug away at it, part of the fun.

Here is my list of things to do, might as well make the list for all to see and I can keep track on the site as well:

- First get the radio transmitting. Going to start with a new PL-259 connector on the antenna cable - corrosion evident. (she receives well with the center only connected, doesn't receive with it fully connected and screwed on). No transmit.

-new shackle on anchor - corrosion.

-buy 6 new flares

-Rig up a reefing system - main is in good shape - has only one but deep reef. There is a block and cleat on the mast that will work for the clew, and another block and cleat on the mast I could use. The main halyard winch is mounted on the mast. The winches are old ratcheting types but work well.
I don't plan on leading all lines aft at this point.

-rig up a downhaul for the foresail. This line I will run aft to the cockpit.

-she only came with a Genoa. Purchase a used working jib. I think I have a line on one for $200. Has one reef. Hope I can get it.

-Put a block system on the topping lift. Right now it is not adjustable. Far from ideal.

-Put a block on the outhaul. Right now it is not adjustable.

-Draw out a wiring diagram

-Has a Honda 9.9 with alternator. It is charging fine. Needs a new disconnect if the motor is to be removed for service. Right now it is wired direct but does have overcharge protection at the batteries. Someone suggested a trailer tail light connector for the disconnect. Will look into Honda part.

-Find the spark plug wrench if it has one - or get one - and a couple of new plugs and check gap.

-remove life lines. Everyone might not agree with this. I mainly single hand and use a harness. I am 6' 2 and these lifelines come up below my knees. I can not put my foot between the cabin and the toe rail as I leave the cockpit as the stanchion is right there - my foot has to go up and over the stanchion, and even then the toe rail to cabin distance is only about 8 inches. One part of the boat I do not like. With this set up you are forced to go up and over the cabin to get to the mast or bow. I know the lifelines could still save me if I was heeled over and somehow slipped to the low side, but I will be clipped on so this won't happen. Perhaps I will rig up lifelines in the cockpit only somehow for when I have guest on my yacht :)

-rig up jacklines

-repair aft bilge cover supports - only held on with three sides - one side appears to have come out due to rot on the floor. This is one area that concerns me although there is no spongy areas evident went walking on the cabin floor. I haven't spent the time investigating this yet, just put a large board covering the hole. Jeesh does this boat ever have a deep bilge. You could break a leg if you fell through.

-haul out and bottom paint - this will add to the list for sure. Hope she's all ok down there! I bought her on good faith sitting in the water.

-general cleaning inside and out.

-top side paint when I get a chance - she looks pretty rough but the paint that is peeling has plenty of paint below that! Gives her an "well used" look that I don't mind for now ha ha.

-I see some evidence of leakage into the cabin from the fairlead track on the port side...

Bit of a list, I keep you posted on the progress. Any comments welcome.

Cheers

-

-

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I see no problem removing the lifelines, but I would do it after sailing the boat half a dozen times.

You may adapt to the existing layout, it's hard to know in advance. And there's plenty else to do....

one21five

Member I
Good point on the lifelines Christian, I'll take your advice and sail it a few times. I noticed the other day I am already getting more used to just walking around on the boat, building up the familiarity and confidence of footing on deck.

If I do take them off I'll leave the bases as they provide a tie on point for bumpers etc, and they are there if I change my mind...

one21five

Member I
Thanks for the suggestion Mark I'll check that out.

I was on the boat for a couple hours today... didn't get much done! But I sure enjoyed it, ha ha.

one21five

Member I
Re-attached the tiller today, it needed some work at the attach point. A friend and I went out the other day to fix it, "a twenty minute job"... ha ha. A couple days went by by the time it was done.

Got the cockpit drains draining... scrubbed a large portion of the seafood off the bottom. Cooked lunch and wished I was out sailing... :)

one21five

Member I
Took Joyride out for the first real sail together, me and her...

Beautiful day here in Victoria, Nice steady North at 10 knots... Very low tide and flooding.

Was great to have the sails up, and being the first sail and all, and having lots of reefs and islets to navigate coming out of Oak Bay (I was heading East towards Discovery Island) I left the engine down just in case...

Well when it came to tack she sure didn't want to move through the wind, she just wouldn't do it! She would slowly move into the wind, the foresail would flap, and then she would back down again into a very stable close haul. Very stable. That part I really liked. Hands off, she sailed beautifully. I cursed her out loud for not tacking! Language I normally don't use in my everyday life. But at the same time I silently praised her stability... and I blamed myself for not getting all the crap off the keel and rudder as well as I should have. Perhaps that was the problem. I knew we'd sort this out.

I was getting close to a reef so I fired up the 9.9 Honda outboard, started first pull, and tacked with the engine, no problem. Shut the motor off, enjoyed her close hauled stability for a few minutes as I approached Cattle Point and then tried to trick her into tacking again - more speed on a beam reach, luffed the foresail as she came through, less rudder, more rudder... harden the main, slacken the main... she just wouldn't do it. Then the light bulb turned on. I reached back to the trusty Honda, and without starting it I turned her, and of course! That was my real rudder! She tacked no problem... I laughed at myself and asked Joyride for forgiveness... Ha Ha! Sorry Joyride!

I only had time for a quicky with her but I can't wait for next time. Even try it with the engine up next time. Yeah :)

one21five

Member I
I haven't been sitting idly by on shore! I've been on Joyride many a time since my last post. Slowly but surely I have been progressing. The list I first started has not shrunk at all. More items make it on, and I've made that a bit of a past time while I waste away precious hours just sitting on the beautiful water... and how precious those hours are! When I am on shore the hours go by at a break neck speed. On the water twice as fast or more! I am always disappointed to return to shore.

Attachments

• Joyride.jpg
    Joyride.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like you're having fun.

Sorry to be slow, but I didn't quite get what happened with the rudder..."Then the light bulb turned on."

What was the problem?

one21five

Member I
Hi Christian,

Yes having a great time. Many adventures. Understandable on the "light bulb moment". I didn't make myself too clear, but what I was trying to explain was that the outboard motor was over powering the rudder... with the outboard down it acts as a rudder more so than the actual rudder... I imagine it is because the outboard is so far aft...

And yes, I have sailed with the motor up and.... .... she still doesn't like to tack!

She will point within a few degrees into the wind and decide that is far enough! Back to my comfortable tack, Skipper, please take me back there! - I've tried to trick her with various combinations of hardenings and slackings of the sails with some success but why must it be so difficult? Something is not right.

Weight too far aft with the outboard? Too much "Bow" showing to the wind? I have a 15 gallon stainless water tank in the bow and I think I'll try filling it and see if that makes a difference. I do make her through the tack no problem if I use the engine as a tiller but that is a little weird. People might laugh.

I still haven't "pulled her" yet so who knows what kind of seafood is growing on the keel. I am able to clean every other surface well except the keel while she is on the mooring. I plan to take her out and do the bottom in the near future, third week of October if all stars align with family and friends and temperatures and humidity. Perhaps that will provide an answer. But all the above being said, she sails VERY nicely on that close hauled tack and anywhere downwind of it :)

one21five

Member I
Most of my to do list is complete! I've been out enjoying some great winter sailing weather... Cold but I keep busy so I stay warm!

IMG_20171220_161257.jpgIMG_20171220_160926.jpg

one21five

Member I
All the previous problems with tacking were solved with the cleaning and painting the bottom. She had a small reef growing on her ha ha. Just finished a 4 day trip from Sydney BC to the mouth of Jervis Inlet and Joyride's new home in Saltery Bay. Route was Sydney to Montague Harbour then through Dodd Narrows to Nanaimo then across Georgia Straight south of Texada Island, past Pender Harbour and Hardy Island then into Saltery Bay. The crossing of Georgia Straight was rough for 4 hours but Joyride handled it well.

one21five

Member I
The more I sail her the more I appreciate her design. A great boat.

I complained earlier about having to go over the cabin top to reach the mast or bow. I don't find it a problem now and because of it I have gained a very good habit - I am always attached to the boat with my harness.

one21five

Member I
Its been awhile since I posted here. Was out in Joyride today, sailed along the north shore of Hardy Island then over to Maude Bay and back to Saltery Bay. Still love sailing her. She has remained at Saltery Bay government dock in Jervis Inlet since 2019 sailing mainly September to March. Cool weather that time of year but no shortage of wind. Beautiful area to sail as some of know. ;) I normally keep the main reefed and a jib up front for winter sailing but today I was under full sails enjoying a rare (for me) summer sail.

Last edited: