• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Re-gluing the teak saloon table

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The end of my teak dining table came loose. Table is in otherwise great condition.

I've heard teak is difficult to glue because of its naturally oily nature. What should i use to glue this back together. I have standard woodworking glue and some old two-part Resorcinol left over from a previous project up in the garage. Should I buy something else?

Ken

20170329_121435.jpg20170329_121534.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ah, jeez, I'd reach for the Gorilla glue. You've got all those pins, lots of surface area, and if it comes apart again no problem.

Usually I wipe the surfaces with acetone to get off the teak oil first.

You see the depth of my commitment to perfection in cases like this.

But if the surfaces don't mate clean, I use epoxy on mahogany or teak. Can't clamp it hard as with glue, but it fills gaps and grips well if preceded by that acetone rubdown.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'd start with Gorilla Glue. AFAIK, Gorilla Glue = a little polyurethane. 5200 = a LOT of polyurethane.

(Don't tell anybody, but I glued my hatch boards back together with 5200. They were trash and I didn't care what they looked like. But... came out surprisingly nice after refinishing. (Crepe! It's time to refinish them again, already! (Or finally build better ones.))) After six years, the joints with 5200 are still rock solid.

Last edited:

dt222

Member III
I use resorcinol, because I have it on hand (not the easiest to come by) and have never had a problem in any of my projects as long as you don't mind a small purple glue line (if it is visible at all).

Don

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use resorcinol, because I have it on hand (not the easiest to come by) and have never had a problem in any of my projects as long as you don't mind a small purple glue line (if it is visible at all).

Don

That is pretty much my rationale for using West System epoxy for several decades. It's on hand, with various thickeners, and I am used to it. I have been thru more than one set of their pumps.
Using it again this week, matter of fact...
:)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
West System has been a great addition to the shop... but I've had decidedly mixed results getting it to stick to hardwoods.

jarnold67

Member II
Titebond III worked for me

I used Titebond III carpenters glue to put mine back together a few years back. Personally, I find that Gorilla glue, while effective, can make a mess and I can clean up Titebond much quicker.

Best o' luck,
John

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We used TiteBond as well. We have 2 kids who use that settee as a bed (and sometimes trampoline) with the table as a support. Its held up great so far.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Thanks to all for all the input. I guess Titebond it is. I have it in the garage, have had good results in the past.....no mixing, no fumes, water cleanup.

Sounds like there are many ways to skin this cat.

Ian S

Member III
Titebond III +1 I've been a carpenter for 35 years, and worked as a professional shipwright. Yes urethane glue (gorilla glue) will be incredibly strong but also a mess! Make certain to clamp (this is a must!) with a couple pieces of sacrificial hardwood flanks. wipe the excess with a damp cloth or sponge (BOOM DONE!) no need for anything more than carpenters glue and if your really worried about humidity go for the titebond 3 which is rated for exterior applications. otherwise I just use good ol, yellow glue. BTW same thing the rest of the joinery is glued up with.

Capt. Ian