• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Folding or Feathering Prop

Spiny Norman

Member I
Amongst the projects I have planned this fall when I haul the boat is the installation of a folding or feathering prop on the old girl. I've gone over the Yachting Monthly article about said props about a dozen times. I've also looked over forum after forum trying to get a proper grip on the issue at hand. And while the article and the forums are enlightening, the big issue I see is that all boats are different in design and the spacial relationship between the keel, strut, prop and rudder. One thing I'd definitely like to avoid doing is hauling the boat a second time because of something as annoying as vibration. So my question is this:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a feathering or folding prop on their 35-2 w/ the engine under the companionway (not in the salon)? I have the original (rebuilt) 24hp Universal Atomic Diesel 5424.

My goals are rated as such:
#1 Better sailing speed
#2 Less prop walk
#3 Improved motoring "bite" in the wind and current we get here in the SF Bay.

Also, does anyone have a readily available photo of their 35-2 w/ the aft engine on the hard? I'd love to see the keel/strut/shaft/rudder combo.

Thanks

beachologist

Member I
I have a mid engine 35-2 that had a Martec folding prop. One day it fell off and I borrowed a 3 bladed prop to replace it. That 3 bladed prop cost me about a knot of boat speed. I couldn't get it off fast enough. Bought another Martec off ebay and made sure it was installed properly. The yard had installed the first one with seizing wire instead of the monel cotter pins. My boat doesn't have a lot of reverse and prop walk isn't a problem.

garryh

Member III
that gives me pause for thought. Sorry, does not address Spiny post but my new to me 35-2 (A4 under settee) has a folding prop and I was going to reinstall the two blade prop recommended for the Atomics, the main reason being that reversing with this boat is nothing short of a white knuckle affair... very scary. Was hoping I might get more control with the fixed prop. It may however have more to do with the prop/rudder distance and the small rudder than the actual prop.
Hard to believe you could lose a full knot due to prop drag..!

celtic sea

Member III
IMAG1550.jpg
Here is a pic of my 1975 E35-2 #413
SV DIJAN it needs a new zinc and paint removed from the prop and shaft by the prior PO and bottom painting.
John

Tomwine

Member II
folding prop size

What brand and type of folding prop is everyone here using on their E35-2s with Yanmars mid ship location. I'm thinking about changing my 3 blade. Wonder if I will get better performance.
Thanks
Tom

Ian S

Member III
I've had both types of propellers and both on atomic 4's at one time or another.
I doubt I will ever go back to a folding prop. I suppose if I had a super serious racer I may re-consider a folding but I have been a strong proponent for the Maxprops and been running them for over 20 years now. With every new boat I Put a Maxprop on it as a matter of course. I have come to consider it an absolute necessity. Great backing power, and good speed increase / lower drag, and more efficient than a typical fixed in fwd as well. I suppose the foldings seemed to have a bit less drag but I would say thats its damn near imperceptible. I know that there are newer fancier designs on the market that you can adjust pitch without dissasembly. I have been lucky and set mine correctly every time but once. That time I overpitched it but lived with it for the season and was no real issue, just couldn't make full revs. I suppose Im slow to change and run what I know is proven equipment. There is no feathering prop out there with more proven miles on it than the Maxprop. Give the guys at PYI a call and get their feedback. If you get lucky they do come up on eBay occasionally and if its the right dia. blade you can always have the hub modified to fit your shaft. New they are not cheap but take them off the boat before I sell it and generally have re-couped 70-80% of what I paid. So long term its a cheap investment.

Good luck: Capt. Ian

Dave N

Member III
We had the yanmar under the companion way. PO had installed a 3 blade max prop feathering prop. It was wonderful. Excellent pull in reverse. The pitch is adjustable and ours was set to provide good speed at low engine revs, 5 1/2 knots at around 1800 revs. I can't speak to the prop walk without before and after experience. However, my backing out of slip technique involved short prop engagements until the boat had a bit of speed on and this minimized the walk. Pics attached as requested.

Attachments

• DSC01504 (1024x768).jpg
    DSC01504 (1024x768).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02312 (1280x721).jpg
    DSC02312 (1280x721).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Spiny Norman

Member I
Hey Dave N,

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful boat.

John,

Painted shaft and Prop? Good fun. Thanks.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
These props sound wonderful and the Maxprop is a great temptation for $3,000.

I have a fixed three blade, 7 knots motoring, moderate prop walk, no vibration issues.

I conclude that at hull speed, say 15 knots wind and above, I am not losing speed.

At 9 knots wind speed, I am dragging a bucket and no doubt the cost is high--maybe a full knot. But no more.

Since I don't race, I don't notice it.

And if boat speed drops to 2-3 knots I am likely to turn on the engine after an hour anyhow.

The computation is different for everyone. BUt what a great piece of equipment.

Last edited: