Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ericson 32-3 Refrigeration

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It seems remotely possible. Do let us know what you find.
    The manual wiring diagram for my boat (a decade or so earlier) was more like a suggestion that the builders didnít take very seriously. Some of the wires were glassed into the hull-deck joint, but most of them were rotten by the time that I took possession.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

My diagram shows OPT AC or DC refrigeration/ice maker but no STD wires. My AC panel has a breaker labeled "Refrigeration" with a nice marine AC cable attached and run to a coil in the lazarette near the reefer compressor. My reefer is DC and has it's wired to the DC panel "spare" breaker. I don't know if my reefer is a factory option or installed by a PO but I'd guess factory since both wires are run. Maybe the option was just for the wiring on my model? The AC cable was so long I was able to cut ten feet off the end to use for another AC circuit and still use it for an AC/DC power supply near the compressor to run the reefer in port. All my AC cable is yellow not black per the diagram

In the case of the STD 10ga DC wires, it's easy to see someone in the past pulling them and using them for another purpose.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

Blog Entries
    I have the same thing as Mark. A heavy gray three-wire bundle run from the so-called "refrigeration" AC breaker back under the cockpit, where it hangs coiled and unconnected. Apparently factory installed.

But my Dometic is DC-only, so the wire has never been used. I don't really know why it's there.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Partner

Three Dimensional Chess

As I continue to puzzle from afar, it occurs to me that the easy run back to the lazarette isnít as easy as I thought. If Iím comparing photos and diagrams correctly , coring out of the ice box will put me somewhere under the tilt cabinetóa space that is covered by a sheet of plywood. Any idea whatís under there?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2C194FA-150B-44D4-92FA-5D7A75960E39.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	26309
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA

Contributing Partner

A Cold One

While I donít want get too deep into the gory details, come late May, one will be able to enjoy a cold beverage on arrival at Aylwin, on dock or mooring. Never did find the magic refrigerator cable run and was grateful for the arrival of a panel-supporting, flashlight-holding friend from a few boats down in the yard as I attempted to get to that lower right hand corner breaker.
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA

Quote Originally Posted by Filkee View Post
    ...come late May, one will be able to enjoy a cold beverage on arrival at Aylwin, on dock or mooring.
    Promises, promises...
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think I've posted in another thread about this, but it's been a big issue with my living aboard - my refrigerator is a murderous freezing machine, content with nothing less than exploded (and then refrozen) cans of anything that goes into it. It doesn't matter if the cans are above the plate, next to the plate, touching the plate, etc - everything freezes, everything explodes. The controller switch has "auto" and "freeze" as options - if Auto provides this level of icy doom, I can't imagine what Freeze would do.

Anyone know if it's possible to retrofit an isotherm unit with a different thermostat / controller, or is there anything else I can do to make this a usable fridge instead of a device for Absolute 0 science experiments?
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Geoff,

My refrigeration is way oversized to support cruising in Mexico and maybe operating as a freezer. I've found adding insulation between the cold plate and the rest of the box keeps stuff from freezing. Set on '1', the lower level will freeze on all but the hottest summer days without the insulation.

See post #10 here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...-refrigeration

I accidently set my control at '10' instead of '1' this spring and recorded 13F in the lower level and 26F on the top level the next day which was in the high 70s outside. So, it will function as a freezer.

Mark
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markvone View Post
    Geoff,

My refrigeration is way oversized to support cruising in Mexico and maybe operating as a freezer. I've found adding insulation between the cold plate and the rest of the box keeps stuff from freezing. Set on '1', the lower level will freeze on all but the hottest summer days without the insulation.

See post #10 here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...-refrigeration

I accidently set my control at '10' instead of '1' this spring and recorded 13F in the lower level and 26F on the top level the next day which was in the high 70s outside. So, it will function as a freezer.

Mark
    Thanks Mark, there's that other thread. I was trying to imagine how I could insulate it better and that looks pretty good. I'll give it a shot.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Installed and runs great

I think I donít need that isotherm lid, it seems to be cosmetic. Otherwise this is a straightforward installation. I may need to upgrade my batteries, but that remains to be seen. Also a selfie before I dived in to the install. Thanks everyone for your ideas and support.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5095.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	26849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	26847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	26848
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Contributing Partner

Refrigerator Storage Concepts

Never did find the magic wire but my refrigerator is running and now comes the contemplation of item distribution. When itís 42 degrees at the top of the coil, itís making ice down by the drain. So it goes, but Iím trying to find a post from Christian that showed a simple yet elegant way to suspend beverages in the ample air space. My wife is dubious but my faith is strong.
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA

Quote Originally Posted by Filkee View Post
    Never did find the magic wire but my refrigerator is running and now comes the contemplation of item distribution. When itís 42 degrees at the top of the coil, itís making ice down by the drain. So it goes, but Iím trying to find a post from Christian that showed a simple yet elegant way to suspend beverages in the ample air space. My wife is dubious but my faith is strong.
    Remember, you promised.
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Blog Entries
    I was probably bragging about the canvas bags I use to dangle Diet Coke, water and beer. They hang, or rest on something else down there.

The E38 refrigerator is deep, and it's mostly so you can pull the bags up by their pennant instead of free-diving for a green can in the darkness.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Partner

Promises

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Metzger View Post
    Remember, you promised.
    I remember. If the rain would stop for a few days I might even get off the mooring.
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSteve View Post
    The Ericson brochure claims the 32-3 icebox is a "6 cubic foot insulated ice box with insulated top and lid". I believe them regarding the insulation, my block ice lasts all weekend.

To add electric refrigeration, the price of the Isotherm VE150 is tempting, but it says it is for refrigerating 5.3 cubic feet. My goal is to keep a 12 pack of beer and condiments cold between visits (not extended cruising). I'll still put a bag of ice cubes in when I am aboard, and still use block ice when I am cruising for a few days.

I'm wondering if the 5.3 cubic foot unit will be up to that task?

Any opinions appreciated.
    Have you considered maybe just a portable DC fridge? The good ones aren't cheap (about the same price as the unit you're looking at) but it keep the sodas so cold that when I open them they instantly freeze (you can turn it down)! they'll also freeze fish rock hard. draws no more than 2.5 amps with no peak voltage and can operate in vibration and 30 degrees inclination. compressor/motor only has one single moving part. Engle fridge.