• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gelatinous Chunks in Antifreeze/Coolant Change

JSM

Member III
Congrats on the new boat ! I used an oil change suction pump to get all of the coolant out of the reservoir. I also removed the heat ex changer and opened it up to inspect the inside (found a small impeller fragment) the inside of the HX was in surprisingly good shape with just a light coating of minerals due to the fact that the boat has been in fresh water all of its life. Gave the HX an overnight soak in lime away and replaced the gaskets on the ends.
I also replaced all of the hoses on the engine. By the time I was done I felt that there really wasn't much left to flush and just refilled the system with fresh antifreeze. Everything has been fine since then.

Thanks JSM. There is always a fear as you go through the process that you may be missing something. We had the HX tested as a precaution and it failed, so we have one on order. In the meantime, we will take your advice and make sure we have drained it completely and look at the hoses.

JSM

Member III
Old Boats are Great Teachers.

Funny how taking stuff apart and putting it back together (sometimes several times) takes the mystery out of things. I was in your shoes three years ago and don't know where I'd be without the folks on this forum. Keep twisting wrenches and asking questions. Before you know it you will be one with your boat !