• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pulling Atomic 4 for rebuild

Thursty30

Member II
Looks like this weekend is finally going to present the weather window I have been waiting for to tackle the first major project of my re-fit.

Going to attempt to pull the atomic 4 from my 74 E-29 and bring it home so I can disassemble it before bringing it to my local motor shop to have it cleaned and machined. I am going to let them replace anything they see fit and return me a like new short block. Unless of course the block is compromised, then we'll have to have a different conversation.

I have pulled and rebuilt a handful of auto/motorcycle motors in this fashion, so I am pretty confident I can figure this one out, but this boat is my foray into a marine project. I do have a service and overhaul manual that the PO was kind enough to leave on the boat. All the same, if anyone has done this and can offer some advice on road blocks or special tools I might need before I head up it's always appreciated.

I'll be back to let every one know how it goes or if I run up against any problems to solve. Hopefully the weather sticks around, once I clear the motor and make some space a complete plumbing overhaul is the next step.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm sure you've consulted the other threads here on yanking an A4.

Great project (which I've never done). If you feel like taking pictures and posting progress it would be a big service to the next guy.

Thursty30

Member II
I never seem to tired of reading through this website, fountain of knowledge as well as a good way to get my fix while I wait out the weather so I can start realizing some of the projects I spend my days dreaming about.

I plan on documenting all of my re-fit and I will certainly post them here. Yours has even got me considering starting a blog.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Thoughts from ancient history

Hey Thursty: your post brought back a misadventure from the past......In 1971 (that is AD) I had an Atomic 4 in a Cal 29.....pulled to to store for the winter in late October on a Saturday, and left on Sunday for a trip that kept me away until the following Friday.....

In that beginning week of November we had a freak freeze that cracked the block and exhaust manifold ... the temp went down midweek to just below freezing for 24 hours......to this day I do not feel that that much damage should have befallen that engine....but it did...

I drove up to Oshkosh and got a short block and new manifold and a friend who owned an auto shop had his top mechanic swap out all that was needed....and I remember only that the points and condenser were the same that came out of a Chevy Nova....

Never pulled the boat again that I did not IMMEDIATELY drain the block and the manifold on that boat and any other that I have owned.

I was a rather simple engine, and remained Bullet Proof ever after.....

I will be back in Northpoint Marina in Winthrop Harbor after 5/4....If I can give you a hand or any advice contact me back channel...

Best of luck

pmarsha3

Member II
I recommend spending time with the Moyer Marine website. There is a wealth of information about the Atomic four. Be extremely careful with the bolts holding the access plate to the water jacket. The tip of the bolts are exposed to coolant and are likely rusted. Good luck.

http://www.moyermarine.com

chitown

Best of luck with the refit. I'm researching the same for my E28 purchased from Lasrson up in Waukegan while I living in Chicago. I'm back east now with my E28 short tacking the Hudson sure do miss those days on Lake Michigan.
Don't mean to hijack you thread but if anyone knows about Universal M12 re-powers for E28 would be like to know about them.

Tom Bradley

tom sailmaker
Atomic 4

Do your self a huge favor and check the MOYER MARINE site. They cover everything you will need to know and they sell the parts you will need. They explain how to pull the engine and what not to hook the lifting sling to,etc etc to selling new recondition short -to long -to complete blocks. The best advice you will ever get regarding an ATOMIC 4 is don't touch it until you get and realty read the MOYER manual. This will save you time, money and let you know what your looking at and the condition. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

Thursty30

Member II
O man, lots to catch up on. Some of you will be receiving PM's. I appreciate all the insight, I am very familiar with the Moyer Marine website.

Other than the weather not cooperating, cold and rainy all day, it was a successful trip. Pretty strait forward. Once I spent a few minutes with the Moyer manual getting my bearings and identifying the parts that are not typical to the automotive motors I am used too, it only took about an hour and a half to get everything disconnected and unbolted.

Got all the way to lifting the nuts off the motor mounts, but didn't get around to rigging and actually pulling it today. I will be on the road all next week but I will likely do a write up and post some pictures when I get back and complete the project including tear down. The designers of this boat sure did us shade tree mechanics a favor, once you pull the covers off the thing might as well be sitting on the dinning room table, easy to work on. Mapped out a plan to lift the motor as well, *should* be relatively easy.

I did discover that there is a leak where the rudder penetrates the cockpit and passes through the berth space behind the engine. Anyone else seen this? Nothing dramatic as long as it hasn't created a soft spot in the cockpit floor, but something I will address when I upgrade the rudder & assembly this spring. So far seems to be the only wet spot in the boat, and I did take advantage of the rain to do some in depth exploring for leaks. Chain plates are all bone dry too.

Dan Clifford

M 12 replacement A boat neighbor ordered a Kabuta 2 cy from Japan used for $450..

Best of luck with the refit. I'm researching the same for my E28 purchased from Lasrson up in Waukegan while I living in Chicago. I'm back east now with my E28 short tacking the Hudson sure do miss those days on Lake Michigan.
Don't mean to hijack you thread but if anyone knows about Universal M12 re-powers for E28 would be like to know about them.
A boat neighbor ordered a Kabuta 2 cy from Japan used for $450.. Evidently they have to change out motors even when its not necessary You'll have to google the when where and how..

Thursty30

Member II
Update

For those interested, I was finally able to remove my motor this weekend. No major hiccups, there was a little flex in the boom when loaded, even though I supported it with the halyard forward of my winch and the topping lift at the aft end. That made me extremely uncomfortable, but I was already committed so I took it smooth (slow). Was able to lift strait off the mounts, then by lowering the engine onto the bridge of companionway hatch, I was able to remove enough tension to slide the winch aft. Re-lift and land in a cradle I built that was waiting in the cockpit. Ultimately with the flex in the boom, and the movement in the cradle even with the load over center I decided I was not comfortable swinging the engine over the side as planned. The yard is going to use a fork lift to get it out of the cockpit for me this afternoon. Some pictures of my rigging are attached. The engine compartment and motor mounts all seem to be solid and in really good shape. 20170422_102603.jpg20170422_102623.jpg20170422_110321.jpg20170422_110324.jpg

Emerald

When you put it back in, try having the halyard on the boom at the exact location the hoist is attached, not back a foot or whatever that distance was. If the lines are next to each other, the boom really shouldn't be in a position to flex but just be an intermediary to "connect" the halyard to the hoist. Hopefully you'll have no issues on the rebuild. These engines are dead simple. I've had issues with corrosion around the water gallery and the side of the block cracking through the holes where the head bolts go. The block actually opened up when torquing the head down. There's a machine shop that does these engines that actually knows where to drill and tap screws to pull the side back together, which is what we did. It's now been over 6 years, and it has not failed. This is a friend's boat, not mine, but I tend to his A4 among other things.

Thursty30

Member II
When you put it back in, try having the halyard on the boom at the exact location the hoist is attached, not back a foot or whatever that distance was. If the lines are next to each other, the boom really shouldn't be in a position to flex but just be an intermediary to "connect" the halyard to the hoist. Hopefully you'll have no issues on the rebuild. These engines are dead simple. I've had issues with corrosion around the water gallery and the side of the block cracking through the holes where the head bolts go. The block actually opened up when torquing the head down. There's a machine shop that does these engines that actually knows where to drill and tap screws to pull the side back together, which is what we did. It's now been over 6 years, and it has not failed. This is a friend's boat, not mine, but I tend to his A4 among other things.

I was wondering about the distance between the rigging, thought it would be close enough. I'm sure you're right, though I am hoping the yard will be cleared out a little when I am ready to replace the motor and can get a fork lift to it.

Interesting about the split block, I am not seeing anything that alarms me as I tear it down yet, but if the machine shop sees something when I bring it to them to have it boil/blasted/milled Ill ask you for some more info.

AndrewD

If you need to source some parts, give David at David's Yacht Service a call. I just rebuilt my carb and fuel pump and he was a great source for parts and knowledge. For me, the added bonus is that I can drive down there to get parts and install them same day. He also services them.

Thursty30

Member II
If you need to source some parts, give David at David's Yacht Service a call. I just rebuilt my carb and fuel pump and he was a great source for parts and knowledge. For me, the added bonus is that I can drive down there to get parts and install them same day. He also services them.

Would be quite a drive for me, haha. I appreciate the source though. When I get a parts list together I'll look him up.