• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

traveler equipment replacement needs

cooper999

Member II
With the season just around the corner, I've been giving the boat a close look to check for any imminent repair needs. It seems the control ends for our traveler, which has a curved 1 1/4" (32mm) Ronstan I-beam track mounted on top of the cabin, have reached the end of their lives. The sheave on the port side block has disintegrated and needs replacement pronto (see photo), and the starboard side looks like it will soon follow.

I stopped by Annapolis Performance Sailing and they were unable to identify a replacement right off the bat, though they'll be checking with Ronstan to see what might work. I was able to identify what appears to be a potential replacement on Rig Rite's site (see NF 1331BL at http://www.rigrite.com/Travellers/RF_Travellers/RF830.html). However, I've read that their customer service experience is lacking (parts taking months to ship, difficulties with getting in touch, etc.), so I'm hesitant to go down that road just yet.

In the meantime, before APS/Ronstan provides any info on another option, I wanted to see if anyone else out there with similar setups had recently replaced/upgraded control ends. I'm not married to our exact setup though would want to find a solution that's compatible with our existing track configuration. I'm also curious to hear about folks' experiences with Rig Rite for better or worse.

Thanks as always!

IMG_8718.jpg

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Can you change blocks

How is that block secured to the control end? Is it riveted on or bolted from underneath. If it's removable just find an appropriate replacement.

e38 owner

Member III
I called Schafer and they helped me just replace the blocks.
I sent them the cars and they took care of the rest. quite reasonable.
Next option would be to work with Garhauer. The probably have a pretty good fix for whatever you are trying to do.

cooper999

Member II
Sorry for the late epilogue. APS was able to get in touch with Ronstan, which had recommendations for replacements. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks!