• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

380 questions

Tahoe

Hello,

New poster here. My wife and I are looking at a 1998 380.

Our first boat was an Ericson 23, followed by a C&C 34/36, followed by an Olson 25 that we race on a lake. We're looking for something well built and seaworthy that can still sail to weather and have landed on this pretty girl as the target of our current obsession.

We'll be sailing in the San Francisco bay and doing some coastal cruising N and S from there with our young boys. We would love to take her down south with the Baja Haha.

Is there anyone out there that can comment on how the 380 would do with the predominant conditions in and around the bay?

Regarding construction/fit/finish, how does the 380 compare to other Pacific Seacraft made boats?

Thanks very much for your help.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pardon my curiosity but are you shopping the one in Texas for about $120K ?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Theory sounds right. I think the highest E38 asking price I saw when I was looking was $80,000 US. On the other hand, my slipmate has put his 1994 Tartan 38 up for $130,000.

Tahoe--It's a great boat, but any broker can look up for you the average sale price of E38s. Condition, equipment and age--in roughly that order--cause big variations, but the range is pretty much between 30K (a project boat) and 70K (a finished boat).

gadangit

Member III
Yep, that's the one. Know anything about it?
I know the boat, it is 10’ from mine. It is in mint condition inside and out. I’ve sailed with the owner on my boat a few times and against him in some regattas. Money was no object in the maintenance and upkeep of this boat.

Tahoe

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the info!

I know the boat is super pricey, but it seems so well taken care of. For resale, I wonder if having the Pacific Seacraft label on there would add anything to the bargain.

I grew up on boats in FL. The UV is relentless, though it does seem that the gelcoat is in good condition.

Thanks again for the help. This group seems as active and enthusiastic as my previous C&C group... an invaluable resource.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
PS may mean something to some people, but I think the reality is this: the Bruce King E38 was drawn to be handsome and traditional. Read "small" by $120,000 standards.

Just a year or two after 1998 the "new" Beneteaus had wide transoms, lots of light and that blown-out moderne look,--and they're competing in that price range today. Matter of taste. Or lack of same.

One thing a 1998 Ericson does have going for it is a yacht loan. There's an age cutoff for mortgages--somewhere around 30 years.

For most of our boats, you have to write a check. It dissuades the impulsive.