• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First boat

McCollian

I Have the opportunity to purchase a 1989 32-200 . Preliminarie inspection it appears sound and in good condition
Question #1 It will be almost completely single handed is this or can this be set up well for that?
# 2 the draft is 6'4" It will be sailed in the Northeast , New England , L.I Sound is the draft a concern?
#3 is it a good march for a first time owner. I don't have a lot of water time .
This wasn't the boat I was looking for . I was looking at classic platic in the 30 ft range when I saw this, it stretches the parameters I set for money and length , but man what lines.
Any comments,advice,encouragement or discouragement is greatly appreciated.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Welcome! The 32 -200 is a great boat and easy to single hand. I single hand a 34-2 in the Northwest here on a regular basis. The 34 is about 3,400lbs heavier and deeper in draft. I also passed 70 a while ago. The 32 handles very quickly, much like a dingy making it easy to handle in a marina or other tight area. Also the sail controls are led aft making sail handling easy. Christian Williams single handed one to Hawaii from LA a short while ago.

By the way, the draft is 6.04 feet, not 6' 4" This should not be a problem in the New England area.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forum.

The late-model Ericson 32 is my favorite boat of all time, including the current E38. Easy to rig and sail, high construction standards, lovely lines.

Naturally it is also an advanced course in maintenance, systems analysis and check-writing.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The late-model Ericson 32 is my favorite boat of all time.

+1

I've had my E32-III for a little over a year, and just love her. Sails well, responsive, no bad habits, comfortable, well laid out on deck and below, just all-around a wonderful boat.

I mostly (almost exclusively) single-hand, and have had no problems getting sails up and down, getting in and out of docks, etc.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have done an overnight delivery on an E-32-3 (same hull, different interior layout), and it has a soft motion in 4 to 5 foot waves in the ocean. Real Solid boat.
Not so big as to overwhelm, for single handing.

Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We are on our sixth season on our 32-200 and still love the boat. I singlehand her often. She is fast, nimble, easy to sail and comfortable. We sail about 1500 miles a year on her. What a boat!

if you have any questions, just ask here or send me a PM.

Rick