• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Fixed Port !988 Mark III

greg harris

Seeking a starboard side aft fixed port for 1988 Ericson mark III. (right above the stove)
Repaired leak three years ago and last evening I stood for 5 minutes as the glass just cracked totally before my eyes.
Anyway, looked at the hassle to replace the tempered glass in the frame and figure if anyone has a frame with glass i would go that route.

Call me if you have one to sell 703-431-1280...or email: gjh@gregharrislaw.com

thanks.

Greg Harris

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
port glass

Good luck Greg,

I approached this problem the same way and found out that Ericson ports did not follow a standardized design. After several false starts (wonderful fellow Ericson owners provided me with their unused ports) I found that none fit my 1983 Ericson 30+.

I am currently looking for the specialized glass god that can find a replacement for the ONE port glass I dropped... Damn.

mjs

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Replacement EY fixed port questions come up regularly. Relying on memory without searching, I sort of recall that their signature trapezoidal port shape was special ordered from Lewmar. No joy nowadays when a replacement is wanted...
Plan B might be to have a replacement built. There is a company or two in our area and certainly some where you are that can do this. IIRC the only limitation is the radius of the frame corner, and that they may not have the sharper angle of the stock EY port corners.

Plan C, and only mentioned because it is the stock fixed port scheme used on the Olson's, is an external lens with no framing. Less 'fancy' but easier to keep water tight.

http://www.boatwindows.com/products/standard-duty-fixed-window-series-1150/
Here is their page on designing fixed ports/windows. I notice that their standard series can have a corner radius of 2.5 inches. FWIW some friends of our used this company for four large fixed ports on their Cascade 36 over a decade ago and they still look near-new.

Anyhow, choices... options... challenges....
:rolleyes:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Greg,

If the frame is still in good shape an auto glass shop should be able to cut a piece of tempered glass for you (with a tint if you want it) and install it within the frame. Then you can reinstall the frame with butyl tape or the sealant of your choice. That may be the simplest & most reasonably priced route.

mfield

Member III
I think the answer is plastics.

Since the port is over the stove, often a hot damp area it would be interesting to put in an opening portlight. Has anyone attempted this?

greg harris

thanks

Thanks to all. i did locate a member who has the tempered glass....but not sure i can do all the sealing of the glass in the frame just perfectly so in addition to hatchmasters, there is also Select Plastics in Connecticut that do this. called them 203-866-3767 and they do the whole thing with your frame for $269. so i am leaning that way. Got pushed off track last couple of weeks with the cold blast so back to it this week end.

thanks for all the helpful info. You all are really a great resource.

Greg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
After having gone through this job, replacing everything with the original laminated glass, I'm having some buyer's remorse. It was one of those jobs that grew in time and expense as it went along. For about the same amount of effort (in my imagination) I could have abandoned those odd-shaped large fixed ports and replaced them with some sturdier and more standard opening ports.

frick

Member III
The Auto Glass Shop is what I was going to recomend

Greg,

If the frame is still in good shape an auto glass shop should be able to cut a piece of tempered glass for you (with a tint if you want it) and install it within the frame. Then you can reinstall the frame with butyl tape or the sealant of your choice. That may be the simplest & most reasonably priced route.

A Friend did the auto glass shop route... The Replaced the lens, the inner gasket and all his port lights.
Came in a good price too. (Like WHY WHY cheaper than a full port light replacement)

Rick+

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Dow 795 bedding material.

It might be easier than you think. Unscrew the two side plates and pull the frame apart. Pull out the gasket and remains of glass. Clean it all up with a wire wheel and solvent. Have a new piece of glass or plastic made. Using Dow 795 rebed the glass/plastic in the frame. Use a rubber caulk tool to create a clean edge. This should last for years until the next time, when you can replace it. Should cost you under $100. I used butyl sealant for frame to cabin top. I figure if it fails its easy to remove and cleanup.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?14575-Tips-for-removing-original-portlights

greg harris

Select plastics useless

Update. So I remove the frame, photo it and send to select plastics...aka hatch masters ame company and the self-described "hatch guru" calls me and says he doesn't like my frame, hated it when it came out in 1988, says he can't fix, and tells me to try it myself. But the gasket won't seal and every other excuse. Absolutely useless. And says it's not a lewmar and it's dumb to have tempered glass in a portlight....so it's off to a glass shop to see if they can cut a piece, and fix it. Sometimes boat guys are just useless.

lot of good ideas from the guys on this site and appreciate all your thoughts

greg harris

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Replacement glass

Del Ray Glass in Alexandria Va.
6621 Richmond Highway
Alexandria Va. 22306
Phone: 703-683-1144

These guys replaced the glass with 1/8" tempered glass and installed the glass in the original frame for $70.

MJS

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Greg, got a photo? Is the '88 ERicson 35 different from previous models?

And I agree on the attitude at Select Plastics. Right up there with RigRite in my book.

Ian S

Member III
Gonna have to chime in on this one.
I will preface this by saying I have no affiliation with Hatchmasters
If you want your Lewmar fixed ports rebuilt you have one legitimate option and that is Select plastics. like it to not.
I have sent my own ports out years ago along with many customers ports over the years and have had a couple that needed to be sent back. Which was taken care of promptly. There are a couple of specific components and tools needed to properly reassemble these. Select plastics is the ONLY company I know of making the specific gaskets and tooling for these ports so if you DIY the project you will be re-using your old crappy, dry rotted gaskets. Tony is right! these fixed ports from Lewmar are junk! that is a true statement, period. I also agree that glass is a poor choice particularly for a lens that size. I don't think I would consider tempered glass for this application. I don't believe the frame would hold the sufficient thickness of glass nescessary. I think I would have been through several glass lenses by now even if tempered. If they were to be glass it would be laminated glass in addition to being tempered. just like commercial windshields.

Often times (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT!) the reason these ports can not be rebuilt is because the owner has ruined them by either trying to disassemble them himself 1st or has bent the frame during removal. Of course the owner is p.o'ed and says "Hatchmasters" sucks they said my port lights are junk?? well? maybe they are! I can tell you this much. you won't find another one!
The moral is be careful. This can quickly snowball into an even more costly proposition.

I for one am thankful we have at least somebody willing to provide parts and rebuilding service for these. I hate to see many fellow Ericson owners dismiss them outright as an option because of some bad press here in the forum. Now, if anybody else has sent out 20 ports to them with a high rate of success you just chime on in.
I do however share Christians sediments regarding Rig Rite. Now that being said many people can thank their lucky stars that somebody still has these parts. Yes the prices are nuts, yes the service may be pretty impersonal, but it's supply and demand, simple economics. If you don't want to pay it, than don't friggin buy it! just buy a whole new spar if thats what you want to do. I don't like seeing these companies get thrown under the bus due to some post. Its easy to pile on.
Now Rig rite (although gritting my teeth) has saved my and many a sailors ass! by coming up with a part made from unobtanium. Yea yea yea i can hear it now, just have it made for 1/2 the money. maybe? but some things you need now, not in three months. Buck up guys this aint a cheap hobby.

Rant complete
Capt. Ian

Last edited:

greg harris

Final update

So after select plastics tells me he can't fix it, (same guy is hatchmasters and select plastics) I have a glass guy at the house for some sealed windows and ask him and show him the frame....he says no problem, cuts the piece of Lexann installs in frame and back to me the next day. Put back on boat and so far so good.

So so I am now a believer in glass shops.....and the heck with the guys claiming to be marine fixed port experts.

thanks again to all for your thoughts.

greg Harris

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
port replacements

Hi Greg,

I have a good relationship with Select Plastics (had them update two hatches) and I liked the work.

As in a previous post,I also had port glass replaced by a glass shop which I also recommended.

I am not sure but the skills to do this work seem to be dying along with competition.

It is always good to hear from the team about their experiences to use as measuring sticks.

MJS

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Contact Bomar in Canada. I replaced all of our fixed ports with new ones. A little pricy but well worth it.

greg harris

Hi Greg,

I have a good relationship with Select Plastics (had them update two hatches) and I liked the work.

As in a previous post,I also had port glass replaced by a glass shop which I also recommended.

I am not sure but the skills to do this work seem to be dying along with competition.

It is always good to hear from the team about their experiences to use as measuring sticks.

MJS

I am glad they did some good for you. The guy was not helpful for me. wish you well
greg harris