• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Olson 34 line drawings

markalan

Member II
Does anyone have the correct line drawings for the Olson/Ericson 34. I have found some drawings on SailboatData.com, however their drawings are clearly not the same boat that I have. For example my boat has an elliptical keel and rudder and four windows not two.
In any case they do a great job of posting data as it becomes available. I
I did find a copy of the original brochure which depicts a like image.
I would appreciate getting some accurate line drawings. Does anyone have copies?
Thanks
Mark

Olson34
Wing Ding
1990 Hull#35
San Pedro, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The first EY brochure for their Olson's was a preproduction writeup, as near as I can tell. It looked like they had copied the hull outline and keel/rudder from an Express 34 drawing. Perhaps.
That old brochure from 1988 was correct for the Olson 25 and the 911, however.

I have a correct profile drawing on a flyer from a dealer, and it's been difficult to digitalize because they chose red paper to print it on (!).
Good record keeping is often the bane of low-production-run boats, and the situation was made worse by the closing of the doors @ EY in late 1990.
I have put a poor copy into my Album here.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?albumid=26&attachmentid=8717

(The actual brochure was on this site but seems to have been lost in the major site hack in 2013.)

Regards,
Loren

markalan

Member II
Thank you Loren,
I am happy owning the boat without drawings rather than owning drawings and not a boat.
Mark

The first EY brochure for their Olson's was a preproduction writeup, as near as I can tell. It looked like they had copied the hull outline and keel/rudder from an Express 34 drawing. Perhaps.
That old brochure from 1988 was correct for the Olson 25 and the 911, however.

I have a correct profile drawing on a flyer from a dealer, and it's been difficult to digitalize because they chose red paper to print it on (!).
Good record keeping is often the bane of low-production-run boats, and the situation was made worse by the closing of the doors @ EY in late 1990.
I have put a poor copy into my Album here.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?albumid=26&attachmentid=8717

(The actual brochure was on this site but seems to have been lost in the major site hack in 2013.)

Regards,
Loren

Slick470

Member III
We have many of the same issues with the Olson 911. I ended up linking the brochure lines drawing into AutoCAD and tracing over it to create a more accurate version for my needs.

Not hard to do but it was pretty tedious.

markalan

Member II
I did find a simple line drawing of I believe hull number one. However, the windows are a different configuration. Two large windows on cabin side aft and two small forward. My windows are configured with one small aft, two large in the center and one small forward.
I just wanted to use the drawing to make an iron on tee shirt. I suppose I can make the drawing modification for that.
Thanks for your response.
Mark

We have many of the same issues with the Olson 911. I ended up linking the brochure lines drawing into AutoCAD and tracing over it to create a more accurate version for my needs.

Not hard to do but it was pretty tedious.

Slick470

Member III
Hull number one of the Olson 34 was the only one built by Pacific boats and has different windows than the Ericson built ones. It's listed on Yachtworld right now as "sale pending" The current owner put a lot of effort into the boat setting it up for short handed sailing so someone is going to get a great boat. The listing is here http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Olson-34-3021996/Alameda/CA/United-States#.WKiEZG8rJhE

As far as the windows are concerned, if you sketch up the rest of the lines drawing revising the windows is pretty easy too. Our 911 is one of the last ones built and Ericson decided to use the same opening and fixed ports as the rest of the Ericson boats instead of the standard Olson fixed windows. I appreciate the additional ventilation, but the look is a bit different than the rest of the 911's and 34s.