• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tanks on 36C

wetjim

Member I
Martin,

Wow, from the pic, i never would have guessed that it's a plywood application. Was it a marine grade or a paint grade veneer? The grooves look so smooth.

Jim

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin,

Wow, from the pic, i never would have guessed that it's a plywood application. Was it a marine grade or a paint grade veneer? The grooves look so smooth.

Jim

Nothing fancy, just good old fir ply. If I were to do it over, I'd go with higher grade stuff like Garnica. The benefit of doing it
this way is you can take it down easily and access the deck hardware anywhere in the boat.

wetjim

Member I
Absolutely on the access. Just wondering, when you did the routing, did you have voids between the plys and if so, did you fill them?

gadangit

Member III
Martin,

That looks absolutely Great! It gives me hope in the darkest days of my restoration. Can i ask what material you used for the head liner as that is the same effect i want to achieve?

Thanks,

Jim

What Martin did is pretty classy looking and I'm a bit jealous. We took a simpler route using 1/4" almond melamine panels with a heavy epoxy coating on the back. As Martin said, easy to take down and get to the deck fittings or put new holes in the deck. The most difficult part of this installation is getting a faired mounting surface along the length of the boat so everything looks uniform. We used essentially 1x1 stringers on 2' centers that are varying heights set off the fiberglass above. The height gets set by a long board spanning as many as possible to get it on a uniform plane.

Good luck with your project!

Chris
Head Liner2.jpg
View attachment 26027