• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tanks on 36C

wetjim

Member I
Now that the weather has warmed up, we've finally begun to clean out the 36C we purchased last fall. Unfortunately the previous owner used the boat as a giant garbage can, and we were unable to see everything up until now. After filling a dumpster, we started opening cabinets, and storage spaces. We are stumped because so far we haven't found a holding tank, or fresh water tank. Anyone have an idea of where they might be located on a 36C? Silly us, thought they might be in the same areas that they were in our 32, but that was a nope!:rolleyes:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes I did. Know any dirty little secrets?

No dirty secrets. The boat used to belong to my dad and I did sail on her. When he had her
it was kept immaculate and I mean showroom new. It was sad to see what a deplorable state of
deterioration she was in when offered for sale.

wetjim

Member I
I, as well as the salesman at the boatyard agree. Would have liked to have seen it when your dad owned it. Though it's going to be a long row to hoe, I believe she is savable and worth doing so. This will be the second Ericson I've brought back.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin,

I just connected with your name.... Any relation to our beloved Naval Architect?

He's my father. BTW, there was a print of a David Barker illustration of one of his custom designs
in the salon. Did that survive?

Martin

wetjim

Member I
Martin,

It's an honor. Several years ago we made a trip out to Maine and I had, had considered stopping in at his office, but didn't. When I learned of his passing I've regretted that decision since. The print disappeared along with the sails a few months before I could take ownership. It was not a good situation from which I got her. It was a boatyard repo. This boat is hull #3, are you sure this is the boat?

Jim

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Martin,

It's an honor. Several years ago we made a trip out to Maine and I had, had considered stopping in at his office, but didn't. When I learned of his passing I've regretted that decision since. The print disappeared along with the sails a few months before I could take ownership. It was not a good situation from which I got her. It was a boatyard repo. This boat is hull #3, are you sure this is the boat?

Jim

Last time I checked, he was alive and well and shoveling snow last weekend!

Pretty sure it was his boat. It went to Wisconsin after he sold it, and I recall
seeing that print in one of the broker photos.

wetjim

Member I
Wow, do I feel foolish. I don't remember where I had learned of his death, but I am really glad he's not. When you talk to him next, give him my best and tell him I will try to do my best on the restoration and will try to publish pics as we progress. The print was on board when I first looked at the boat. I remember the octagonal skylight catching my attention. Beautiful as usual...

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Whew

Pretty sure it was his boat. It went to Wisconsin after he sold it, and I recall

Gotta delete the Google search history this thread generated!

wetjim

Member I

Martin,
Spent the morning going through the formerly water-soaked papers we pulled off the boat, and have found the bill of sale from your dad. We also have the survey your father had provided the buyers at the time of sale, and through that have been able to locate the water tanks. Although it covers the holding tank as well, the survey doesn't reveal it's location. Since we have unseasonably warm weather for Wisconsin this weekend, we will spend it working on the boat, perhaps we will find it then. Unfortunately, the boat is in even more deplorable condition than just the sales photos would indicate. It sat for several years, uncovered, with a open hole from a windlass that had been removed from her deck. She filled with rain water up to about six inches over the sole. We will need to replace the sole as well as repair/refinish the interior. We may have to repair or replace support beams beneath the sole, we won't know for sure until we pull it up. There's also a good chance we will have to replace all mechanical systems including the engine.

We are (my wife and I) history buffs. We have restored an 175 year old historic home. Although we know we have to update many systems, we are sticklers for restoring things as close to original as possible. Although we can't say that we would put the Ericson plaid back in, we would also love to restore this boat to as close to how your father had it as possible. Any information or pictures you might have to aid us in restoring her, would be greatly appreciated.

The news story that I heard in passing, must have been regarding the Governer of New Mexico, also named Bruce King. I'm certainly happy to know that your dad is still with us! Although I still regret not stopping in his office when we were in Boothbay. I will PM you with my e-mail address so that you may send me any information privately, that you are willing to share.

We are incredibly honored to be able to restore this beautiful yacht, and you and your parents are always welcome aboard her, if you're ever in this neck of the woods, or corner of the sea.

Jim

wetjim

Member I
Eureka! !

We finally found the holding tank! It was located under the battery bank in the port lazarette. Mystery solved!:)

erikwfab

Member II
fresh water tank

The fresh water tank on my 36C hull #8 is located under the sole in the bilge just forward of the engine to about one foot aft of the mast, stainless.
Tank may be for sale with boat included......

wetjim

Member I
The fresh water tank on my 36C hull #8 is located under the sole in the bilge just forward of the engine to about one foot aft of the mast, stainless.
Tank may be for sale with boat included......

Thanks!
We found the survey from the sale to the previous owner and it confirms that the fresh water tank should be located there!

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Jim,

I thought I would revisit this thread and see how you were doing with the 36 project. Any progress pics you could share with us?

Martin

wetjim

Member I
Jim,

I thought I would revisit this thread and see how you were doing with the 36 project. Any progress pics you could share with us?

Martin

Hi Martin,

It's great to hear from you again.

It's been going slower than I'd like it to. We are still mostly in deconstruction. We've removed all the doors, drawers etc. and I've been refinishing those in the workshop. I spent an entire summer building a temporary structure over the boat so that I could start removing deck fittings while protecting it from the weather. Unfortunately the village made us take it back down, which further delayed our progress. Now we have it shrunk wrapped to halt further damage. We have the headliner removed, and will be removing the sole next. This summer we're hoping to get a better handle on whether or not the engine is salvagable. With each layer we tackle, we find more work to do, but do it we will. It will be nice when we will finally be able to turn the corner and start putting things into the boat, instead of just ripping things out. It's very sad that she's been so badly neglected. Here are a couple of before pictures and how the woodwork's turning out. As you can see, the water damage is extensive. It's heartbreaking, but the vision of how beautiful she will be when finished keeps us going.
Jim

20170212_130918.jpg20170402_133536.jpg20190127_123252.jpg20170624_174531.jpg

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Jim,

Great to hear back from you! Thank you for the update. Having done similar work on my
own boat, I know it can feel at times overwhelming. But hey the good news is that the wood
looks like it's cleaning up just fine. That interior is going to look great when it's finished. Keep
up the good work!

Martin
PS:
Here's a couple of before and after pics of my project. It's a lot of work, but
I just kept my head down and plugged away at it.

DSCN2216.jpg

DSCN2845.jpg

Last edited:

wetjim

Member I
Martin,

That looks absolutely Great! It gives me hope in the darkest days of my restoration. Can i ask what material you used for the head liner as that is the same effect i want to achieve?

Thanks,

Jim

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Hi Jim,

It's 1/4 inch plywood I v-grooved with a router. The back side got a coat of epoxy and the show side got painted. 1/4 inch teak
battens cover the seams, and they received a side bead detail on the edges. The bead detail was repeated in the fascia moulding
made for the house sides. Hope that helps you.

Best,

Martin

Last edited: