• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 Universal 5411 BEEP...BEEP...BEEP!

Phil Rushing

Member II
My seemingly healthy 1984 Universal 5411 in my E28+ will intermittently go BEEP...BEEP...BEEP. As my gages are nonfunctional for the most part, I don't know what its trying to tell me. It does not seem to be overly warm to touch, etc, and it will happen when the motor hasn't been running for very long. I shut it down ASAP when this happens and it will usually clear after letting it sit for 5 - 10 minutes. The oil is full and recently changed. It also seems to happen at low rpm; running at higher RPM will often make the beeping stop. I'm thinking its a malfunctioning alarm, but that is risky thinking. Also, I can't seem to be able to locate that damned beeper to see where its coming from, but it seems to be near the switch panel. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sounds like low oil pressure at idle. If you have a coolant flow sensor, it could be time to replace an impeller... If you nudge the throttle up a tick, does it go away?
Time to get those gauges fixed.

Phil Rushing

Member II
Toddster, I have a brand new impeller. The BEEP does not go away when move throttle up a tick, but does go away at higher rpm. I don't know if I have a coolant flow sensor - I'll have to look. Where would that sensor be located? Thank you!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don't know that engine- was just riffing on things that can happen at low RPM. On my engine, the flow sensor is in the raw water hose, between the strainer and the pump. Also, take a look over the transom. Really shooting in the dark without gauge readings.

Coolant flow can also be blocked, causing high temperature, by bits of old impeller lodged somewhere in the system. But as far as I know, that doesn't get any better with higher RPM...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't know the engine either. But 5411 engine information -- manual, parts--can be downloaded here:

http://www.westerbeke.com/Category/5411/5399ADA2DAF73A26740BF75E#techdocs

What I would do--which may be worth very little to you :)--is call a mechanic and go over the engine, the goal being familiarization. Couple hundred bucks.

I would intend to check the wiring and install new gauges/sensors myself. It's easy and educational.

There's more on the forum and the Net. Here's one:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1527-Universal-5411-2-Cylinder-Engine

Do you have an alarm that usually goes off when ignition circuit is turned on (oil pressure--there isn't any until the engine starts)? They can go off intermittently when worn out. But wE need to find out what the alarm means.

Last edited:

Phil Rushing

Member II
Universal 5411 going beep..beep

Thanks Christian! After being on this forum for a while now, I take what you would do as sound advice. I intend to do as you suggested and find a good mechanic to go over the engine with me. I need to learn this stuff. First step (duh!) is going to be finding out what this alarm really means. My first inclination is to change the alarm/sensor to make sure its not faulty. From there, my intention would be to clean out all hoses, then check the heat exchanger. See, I'm already learning:)
But first, I think I will go with the good mechanic. I'm a fair "back yard mechanic" (read: I know enough to be dangerous!) and I get a sense that this motor is strong and in good shape; granted its the original 32 year old motor, but it only has 750 hours on it (so I've been told and so reads the hour meter, which does work). I'll let you know what develops.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Phil,

Assuming you have good oil pressure, my guess would be a failing low oil pressure sensor, really just a pressure switch. The switch is normally closed (ON) in the ground wire of the light and alarm circuit. The lamp lights and alarm sounds when you power it up with the key to 'ON'. Oil pressure above some point pushes against the spring in the sensor to open the switch to (OFF) and silence the alarm and turn off the light.
A wiring problem could also cause this if the lamp/alarm sensor (ground) wire is randomly shorting to ground bypassing the sender/switch. The factory oil sensor wire is the small (16g) blue wire and runs from the lamp on the panel to the sensor on the engine block. The alarm should be wired in parallel with the light.

FWIW, the oil pressure switch is the same for your 5411 and my 5424.

Universal P/N is 298663 (6-8 psi) $60.95 from our not-so-good friends at Marine Diesel Direct and/or

Kubota P/N 15841-39010 $11.03 - but check the threads (NPS vs. JIS) and pressure rating.
I haven't got that far yet.

Mark

Attachments

• Oil-Switch.jpg
    Oil-Switch.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 270

EGregerson

Member III
beep beep

I'd certainly go with the senders initially; coolant temp and oil pressure. Swap those out and see what happens. Check the wiring 'loom' behind the panel and make sure the wiring is connected and corrosion free.... and pull the raw water intake and clear the line. I was over heating 'once' and it turned out to be bits of impeller fin and grass (in FL waters) packed into the heat exchanger; that's when i installed a groco strainer. Fair winds (and rpm's!)

Phil Rushing

Member II
No more BEEP!

I think the overheating issues on my '84 5411 diesel are repaired, or will be soon. I was wrong to suspect a bad sensor/gage; the engine really was overheating! (C'mon, is it REALLY ever a bad gage or sensor? Who was I kidding?) The temp gage is functioning and the engine was definitely overheating from something. I called a real diesel mechanic due to my lack of skills and that "something" turned out to be one of the usual suspects: the fresh water pump impeller. This impeller had broken into pieces which appear to have lodged in various places, including the thermostat housing and heat exchanger. How many times have you read this on this forum? Any way, since I live in San Diego, we are choosing to run with no thermostat, and we're having the heat exchanger professionally cleaned out. I should be good to go when its all back together. Its been a learning experience! Thanks to everyone for their help.

hodo

Member III
Beep Beep

Phil, I would be putting a thermostat back in, as the temperature needs to be controlled. A diesel needs a certain amount of heat to run properly. Too cool is not good, as carbon will build up quickly. It could plug the mixer/riser at the outlet of the exhaust rapidly. The thermostat also functions as a flow regulator for the engine to warm up properly. Just some food for thought, if you are hungry.
Good Luck, Harold, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker