• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

O-34: Port list, Rain leak questions

markalan

Member II
Gentlemen, I have been so busy with Wing Ding haven't had a chance to communicate. I do have a couple questions.

1) I noticed adjacent to the water tank on the starboard side ahead of the galley, there are about four or more lead bars for weight distribution. Is this normal?

2) I am getting some water through the mast boot during the rain. Please don't laugh, is wax from home depot suitable to put between the mast and the deck to seal the thru deck, prior to installing rubber boot material?

3) Is there a place I should be posting Olson 34 specific questions?

When I get a chance I will take some pictures and create an album.

I appreciate having a group like this available.

Thanks,
Mark

Grizz

Grizz
Let's try it this way...

I tried to reply directly, but Microsoft nixed it, sent it back with all sorts of error messages. So I've copied what I sent and this is what it looks like:

Gentlemen, I have been so busy with Wing Ding haven't had a chance to communicate. I do have a couple questions.

1) I noticed adjacent to the water tank on the starboard side ahead of the galley, there are about four or more lead bars for weight distribution. Is this normal? Not ‘normal’, but unless you buy a brand new boat and become 1[SUP]st[/SUP] owner, there’s always a PO* lurking. I discovered 2 lead dive belts in 2 different locations, neither made any sense, both are now off the boat. You didn’t describe the size/weight of your lead bars, but it’s your boat, do what you wish with them. I’ve chosen to go the route of pulling any extraneous #’s off the boat, but we’re racing in a competitive fleet with experienced skippers doing whatever they can to gain an edge (legally). *Previous Owner

2) I am getting some water through the mast boot during the rain. Please don't laugh, is wax from home depot suitable to put between the mast and the deck to seal the thru deck, prior to installing rubber boot material? Initially I thought you meant wax, as in ‘wax to polish’. I’ll assume you mean ‘wax that you intend to stuff into the partner gap’. If that’s the case, don’t eliminate the wedges, pack the wax in/around the wedges. Wedges are important: they center the mast, stabilize the mast, especially when under load. I’ve gone the SparTite route in lieu of wedges (it’s a liquid that’s poured into the partner, hardens quickly and prevents MOST of the water, not all, from getting into the boat). Wax could do similar. We unstep every fall and restep ever spring, so far the SparTite has pulled and worked each year (cross fingers)…

3) Is there a place I should be posting Olson 34 specific questions? I’ll let Loren answer that one…

CTOlsen

Member III
O-34 weight distribution

The Olson 34's are light on the starboard side. For whatever reason, all boats after hull #1 list to port with all tanks filled. I am the second owner of hull # 118 and found 5 bags of 25# lead shot in the starboard settees' storage compartment.
Ive been lightening the port side as best I can, and added misc stuff (refrigeration) to starboard, but ballast to starboard is still required.
I'm sure Loren will weigh in- he has gone far and above the rest of us in trying to put his boat on an even keel.

Good luck, welcome to the fleet.
Craig Olsen

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Cha Cha Cha Cha Changes..........

1) I noticed adjacent to the water tank on the starboard side ahead of the galley, there are about four or more lead bars for weight distribution. Is this normal?

2) I am getting some water through the mast boot during the rain. Please don't laugh, is wax from home depot suitable to put between the mast and the deck to seal the thru deck, prior to installing rubber boot material?

Thanks,
Mark

We are a hardy little subsection of the Ericson (Viking) kingdom. :rolleyes:

Just post up questions as you wish. After all, it's little different than differentiating between trivia about an early 70's Ericson and a mid-80's one-- they are about as different. :)

If you have rain and spray leaks around the *outside* of your spar, you need to renew the seal that once was present (one piece vinyl) around the spar and cinched to the SS deck fitting with a large screw clamp. It that piece is gone, you will have to use an after market solution like the one at the chandlers that you trim to fit and glue together. We still have the original "boot", altho it is in two pieces... and glued together. It has been covered for years with a sunbrella outer cover that keeps the UV from ruining it any further. No leaks. I have a picture of it in my blog.

And then there is the (in)famous O-34 port list. Too much furniture on the starboard side, is my take on it. With only 39 (or 40) finished hulls in existence, they never got to a Mk 2 production version and addressed stuff like that.

Our boat, hull #8, did *not* have any lead bars under the starb. settee. What I did discover was that the stock Ronco 23 gallon water tank there sat on a glassed-in wood 4X4 against the bottom. There was a lot of wasted space under and behind that tank. I removed that tank and ground out the wood "riser", and then laid down some extra layers of roving on the hull and up onto the bulkhead at each end for strength. Then built a mock up for a new 38 gallon tank. That SS tank rests on the hull. When that tank is full the boat floats level. :)
(Tare weight for that tank is about 75 or 80#, and a full tank will hold about 315# of water.)

This solved the list and greatly increased our cruising range.
I also moved the battery charger from under the port cockpit seat hatch to the back of the bulkhead by the galley (i.e. inside the aft cabin).
And...... I ground off that heavy 1" plywood shelf along the hull under that same seat hatch. Replaced it with 1/2" honeycomb.
And..... moved the hot water tank, after the shell rusted out, and I bought a new 4 gallon one, to the area under the nav. seat.
And ground off all the old plywood support for that orig. water heater.

Like Craig, I mounted the fridge compressor under the galley module. This encourages you to keep some cold beer in the fridge, and helps to balance the boat!
Like Grizz, i have also reduced other weighty bits, like replacing all of the seat/settee storage covers (orig. plywood) with honeycomb, especially on the port side. Ditto for those heavy teak hatch boards -- now a feathery one piece honeycomb section.

It's been a continuing process, but then we've owned the boat since '94.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
List to Port...

I'll add the following to the discussion, especially since CT's phrase "...with all tanks filled..." has been added to the dialogue.

Our normal 'trim' in season has 5-7 gallons of diesel in the fuel tank (port side) and 3 gallons (at most) in the water tank (starboard). Pop, beer, ice and crew gear that's walked on-board each day is stowwed starboard and we believe we've achieved both balance and harmony...without adding additional weight.

Last winter the aft port freshwater tank was removed and all the support structure was ground flush. That was a fair amount of port side weight removed...but it helped. [Edit: notes were found, the actual weight removed = 47#'s; the new space created an added bonus]

The photo depicts a stern view while moored, checked on arrival and departure, just to affirm. It's a bit of an OCD affliction, self diagnosed. The hunt for balance is more intense while we're on the water, racing, as ballast (human rail meat and other gear) is being re-positioned, influencing heel and pitch, upwind or off-wind, assessed constantly.

Bottom line: we've had to work at balance, but eventually it's been discovered, 7 years in.

Hope you enjoy your journey of discovery as much as I have.

1st Sunday 5-15-2016 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

Thanks,
Mark
Hello, Mark.
I have no answers to your questions, but thought I'd pop in just the same to say, "Welcome to the neighborhood"! I noticed you boat is on E-row at Holiday Harbor when I was walking to my boat on D-row last Friday. I guess you are new in town. Nice looking boat!

markalan

Member II
Olson 34 weight distribution

Grizz,
I will have to weigh the pieces of lead ballast on the starboard side, calculate the weight of the fuel and water, then I can begin the balancing act. Sorry about the unclear wax comment as I meant to say wax ring (the type used in toilet/water closet installation).
Thanks for your valuable input and the beautiful photo of your boat.
Mark

I'll add the following to the discussion, especially since CT's phrase "...with all tanks filled..." has been added to the dialogue.

Our normal 'trim' in season has 5-7 gallons of diesel in the fuel tank (port side) and 3 gallons (at most) in the water tank (starboard). Pop, beer, ice and crew gear that's walked on-board each day is stowwed starboard and we believe we've achieved both balance and harmony...without adding additional weight.

Last winter the aft port freshwater tank was removed and all the support structure was ground flush. That was a fair amount of port side weight removed...but it helped. [Edit: notes were found, the actual weight removed = 47#'s; the new space created an added bonus]

The photo depicts a stern view while moored, checked on arrival and departure, just to affirm. It's a bit of an OCD affliction, self diagnosed. The hunt for balance is more intense while we're on the water, racing, as ballast (human rail meat and other gear) is being re-positioned, influencing heel and pitch, upwind or off-wind, assessed constantly.

Bottom line: we've had to work at balance, but eventually it's been discovered, 7 years in.

Hope you enjoy your journey of discovery as much as I have.

View attachment 21297

markalan

Member II
Olson 34 weight distribution

Craig,
I will be working on the weight distribution, a little perplexing on the surface trying to visualize what weighs enough to cause the imbalance... but it is reassuring that its not just my boat:nerd:
Thanks for your feedback.
Mark

The Olson 34's are light on the starboard side. For whatever reason, all boats after hull #1 list to port with all tanks filled. I am the second owner of hull # 118 and found 5 bags of 25# lead shot in the starboard settees' storage compartment.
Ive been lightening the port side as best I can, and added misc stuff (refrigeration) to starboard, but ballast to starboard is still required.
I'm sure Loren will weigh in- he has gone far and above the rest of us in trying to put his boat on an even keel.

Good luck, welcome to the fleet.
Craig Olsen

markalan

Member II
Olson 34 Weight distrubution

Alan,
Thanks for the welcome!
Actually, after purchasing Wing Ding, I brought her from Cabrillo Marina into my upwind slip in Holiday Harbor where my Cal 2-29 resided for about 12 years. We sold the 2-29 in one day and drifted the boat into the downwind slip across the channel. Ironically I was on D dock for a couple of years adjacent to the J 29. Please do come by if you see me as I am retired and at the boat daily (E17).
Looking forward to meeting you.
Cheers.
Mark

Hello, Mark.
I have no answers to your questions, but thought I'd pop in just the same to say, "Welcome to the neighborhood"! I noticed you boat is on E-row at Holiday Harbor when I was walking to my boat on D-row last Friday. I guess you are new in town. Nice looking boat!

markalan

Member II
Olson 34 Weight Distribution

Loren,
I am experiencing "rain spray" leakage inside around the mast. I am hoping to renew the mast boot and seal before the next storm comes in. It never rains in Southern California until I buy a boat with a mast boot leak! Then we get drought busting rain, storm after storm. Thank God for the rain!
I feel more comfortable now knowing that the weight distribution is likely the effects of more lumber on one side rather than an extra 300lbs of resin filled blisters
With regards to the tankage, I believe the boat has the original plastic water tank plus somewhere hiding is a secondary storage bladder. I need to fill both water compartments and empty some diesel from the port side Stainless Steel fuel tank. That should make a difference.
Like you and Craig, I have the refer coils mounted in the galley, mine is behind the stove.
Like you and Grizz, I also have light weight settee storage boards. All of mine are lightweight throughout the entire boat.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Cheers.:nerd:
Mark

We are a hardy little subsection of the Ericson (Viking) kingdom. :rolleyes:

Just post up questions as you wish. After all, it's little different than differentiating between trivia about an early 70's Ericson and a mid-80's one-- they are about as different. :)

If you have rain and spray leaks around the *outside* of your spar, you need to renew the seal that once was present (one piece vinyl) around the spar and cinched to the SS deck fitting with a large screw clamp. It that piece is gone, you will have to use an after market solution like the one at the chandlers that you trim to fit and glue together. We still have the original "boot", altho it is in two pieces... and glued together. It has been covered for years with a sunbrella outer cover that keeps the UV from ruining it any further. No leaks. I have a picture of it in my blog.

And then there is the (in)famous O-34 port list. Too much furniture on the starboard side, is my take on it. With only 39 (or 40) finished hulls in existence, they never got to a Mk 2 production version and addressed stuff like that.

Our boat, hull #8, did *not* have any lead bars under the starb. settee. What I did discover was that the stock Ronco 23 gallon water tank there sat on a glassed-in wood 4X4 against the bottom. There was a lot of wasted space under and behind that tank. I removed that tank and ground out the wood "riser", and then laid down some extra layers of roving on the hull and up onto the bulkhead at each end for strength. Then built a mock up for a new 38 gallon tank. That SS tank rests on the hull. When that tank is full the boat floats level. :)
(Tare weight for that tank is about 75 or 80#, and a full tank will hold about 315# of water.)

This solved the list and greatly increased our cruising range.
I also moved the battery charger from under the port cockpit seat hatch to the back of the bulkhead by the galley (i.e. inside the aft cabin).
And...... I ground off that heavy 1" plywood shelf along the hull under that same seat hatch. Replaced it with 1/2" honeycomb.
And..... moved the hot water tank, after the shell rusted out, and I bought a new 4 gallon one, to the area under the nav. seat.
And ground off all the old plywood support for that orig. water heater.

Like Craig, I mounted the fridge compressor under the galley module. This encourages you to keep some cold beer in the fridge, and helps to balance the boat!
Like Grizz, i have also reduced other weighty bits, like replacing all of the seat/settee storage covers (orig. plywood) with honeycomb, especially on the port side. Ditto for those heavy teak hatch boards -- now a feathery one piece honeycomb section.

It's been a continuing process, but then we've owned the boat since '94.

Regards,
Loren

Grizz

Grizz
More Balance Inputs...

Much as an archeologist peels layers to reveal a time-line history, this thread does likewise. These are inputs dislodged by other inputs:

• Loren's 'furniture' reference was spot on and the port side has a couple that stand out: nav station & seat + the head components, the toilet being the main culprit.
  • the cockpit locker (or whatever you call it) has a fair amount of built in 'furniture' and then we stuff all sorts of gear into it: dock lines, spare halyards, bolt cutters, sails and the Emergency Tiller. In sum, it's a fair amount of weight.
  • The water heater was yanked 6 years ago. It had been disconnected by the PO, probably 'cuz the tank had rusted, making it worthless. Unfortunately, it wasn't weighed when removed. That program began later...
  • The Rigger's Bag (soft sided, canvas, lots of pockets and space to lose tools in) used to be stowed, securely, in the Cockpit Locker, but has been moved to a equally secure spot aft of the mast, directly onto the sole. Weight low and centered = 'a good thing'.
That's enough digging for now. Have a great day. Take care.

CTOlsen

Member III
Quick fix

All you have to do is replace the head with a Carbon Fiber one and your problem will be solved.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All you have to do is replace the head with a Carbon Fiber one and your problem will be solved.

Funny, and it's actually been done! The around-the-world ultra light race boat, "Ocean Planet" was built in Portland, and the last detail the yard did when finishing it out was to mold out a CF head for it!
Mostly symbolic, but pretty cool!!
:rolleyes:

I did go aboard once, and there it was, in all it's ultralight glory.......