• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor at SB Island

paul culver

Member III
Do any of you SoCal Ericsons have recent experience with overnight anchoring at Santa Barbara Island? I'm considering the southeast end rather than the landing area but welcome any and all input.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Do any of you SoCal Ericsons have recent experience with overnight anchoring at Santa Barbara Island? I'm considering the southeast end rather than the landing area but welcome any and all input.

Paul
E29 "Bear"
I've anchored at SB Island several times, though not recently. My only experience is in the main anchorage area, near the landing. Holding is generally poor. My past trips all used Danforth anchors on previous boats. I've not anchored there with the more modern anchor design on my current boat, which is a Rocna. I'd have a bit more confidence in it. Overall, though, I'd say that the holding there leaves something to be desired and I'd set an anchor alarm or keep a good watch. However, in the prevailing wind pattern your first point of contact might be the West End of Catalina if you drag (assuming you don't smack into another boat first). :nerd:

paul culver

Member III
Thanks for the feedback Alan. The chart shows a rocky bottom up by the landing so I was curious about dragging. I've been to the island only once many many years ago and the owner anchored in the southeast portion where the chart indicates a sandy bottom. Fagan's guide only mentions the landing area for overnight anchoring.

Paul
E29 "Bear"