• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 Shoal draft (4' 11") mast height - short rig or standard rig?

Reefpoints

Member I
Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing an E35-3 with the shoal draft (4' 11"). Does anyone know if all E35-3 shoal draft boats have the short rig (I measurement = 43) or are they generally the standard mast height (I measurement = 46)?

I'm really hoping this one I'm looking at has the taller rig!

Thank you!

Reefpoints

Member I
Standard (tall) rig!!! :)

FYI, the brokerage allowed me to measure the rig. I pre-marked some spare line (at 39') for the P measurement of a 35-3. I hoisted it and sure enough the P-measurement came in at 39'. So, I can definitively state that a shoal draft 35-3 can have a standard rig.

My 1983 E35-3 is a shoal draft of 4'-11" and has a mast ht. of 44'-8" at deck.
When I ordered the boat in 83' there was only a deep or shallow keel option.

No mast height option.

Sketcher

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't recall a short rig being offered on the 35-III - I think they were all the same.

If I recall correctly, both the deep keel and shoal keel result in the same displacement and close to the same righting moment. So it makes sense they'd have the same rig.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Check the keel too.

Reefpoints,

I would personally verify that the boat is actually the shoal draft keel model and measure the draft if possible. If it is hauled, it will be easy and you may have already done this.

Brokers are notorious for not putting a lot of effort into the "details" of a listing. They often rely on the current owner for information which may be inaccurate.

I've read several posts on our site where buyers travelled some distance to view a boat only to find that the keel draft not as described in the listing.

For an E35-3, you would not want to be surprised by a 6 foot plus "standard, deep or competition" keel if you are looking for a shallow draft version.

Also, I would want to know if the "shoal" keel was the Ericson design, a Mars Metal modified deep keel done by a previous owner (actual draft?) or a wing keel (if one was available).

Also, my 1984 E26 was a shoal keel/standard rig and no short rig option was available. As bgary states, the righting moment was very close on both keel versions.

Mark

Reefpoints

Member I
My 1983 E35-3 is a shoal draft of 4'-11" and has a mast ht. of 44'-8" at deck.
When I ordered the boat in 83' there was only a deep or shallow keel option.

No mast height option.

Sketcher

Thank you for replying! FYI the "I" measurement is from the top of the mast to gunwale (where the shrouds meet the deck) - not to the cabin top (where the mast meets the deck). That extra foot and change puts you at 46 feet.

Reefpoints

Member I
bgary and markvone,

Thank you for the information! It never would've crossed my mind to measure the keel - good advice!