• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

mk 2 steering

glenc0

how hard is it to convert a wheeled steering to a tiller steered-thereby opening up the cockpit--pros and cons thanks dan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like a '76 Ericson 25, from the bio here.
Very Surprising to hear of one with a wheel.

Loren

ps: appears to be a transom hung rudder on that model. Had to be a retrofit, for a lot of $.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If it's just a matter of removing someone else's retrofit, it could be very simple.

One thing to think about, if the the wheel is at the rear of the cockpit (over the rudder post?) a tiller would move the helmsman position to the front of the cockpit. Which is a more sheltered spot in inclement weather, and at least for my boat, right over the engine exhaust standpipe, which creates a warm seat! No, wait. That's not the one thing.

The thing is that when you move the helmsman position, are the sail controls still within easy reach? And the engine controls too, for that matter. If you have to move everything, the job becomes more complex.

glenc0

i do have a 25 centerboard but was looking at a e35 mk 2-sorry for the lack of detail-i thought you could reed my mind-thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding future resale, I think most people expect wheel steering on a 35-foot cruising boat.

There's much to be said in favor of a tiller, but I never heard that it opens up the cockpit. Sort of the reverse, I'd say, since everybody has to move when you tack.

adam

Member III
The 35-2 is already mostly set up for a tiller. It doesn't have an emergency tiller per se, it has a mount post to attach a full sized tiller.

I wouldn't recommend disconnecting the wheel steering system. If you want you can just remove the wheel and throw it back on if you ever change your mind.

The most difficult part of the project if you want to do it right will be moving the engine controls and gauges from the aft of the cockpit forward where you'll have access to them when using the tiller.

p.gazibara

Member III
Cinderella was converted. The pedestal was removed and the hole was patched. Of course my boat was heavily reconfigured, the main-sheet is now just outside the companionway. I much prefer it, you can easily single-hand and short tack very easily standing behind the main-sheet block and directly between the primary winches while holding the tiller.

-P

glenc0

the picture of the engine compartment and total lack of care should shy anyone away-the boat is the one at passion yachts

Last edited: