• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pre-departure cabin upgrades

p.gazibara

Member III
As I continue to ready Cinderella for departure in September, here are some updates on what I have been up to. It has been cold here in Seattle, so I have been focusing my time indoors working on making the interior a little more cruise oriented rather than the spartan racer she was when I purchased her.

To take the nip off the frigid temps, I added a Dickinson Newport diesel heater. I was given the heater from a friend, who didn't want it anymore. The heater was completely plugged up with soot, I had to disassemble the whole thing and clean/reinstall. Down to the fan that had seized after sitting for so long. A little sanding and some lube on the bushings, and the fan was free to spin again.

IMG_4063.jpgIMG_4077.jpgIMG_4082.jpg

It was a bit of a struggle to convince myself to cut a hole in the cabin-top for the chimney, but sailing in the winter here in the PNW is a much bigger pleasure now! I'm not so sure what we will do with it when we make it to the lower latitudes, but that a future decision!

More updates to come!

p.gazibara

Member III
Adding to the port settee

I started by building out the port settee into a U shape that will be a dinette. From what I could tell this was a standard layout to most E35's and it was a much better use of spcae than the wide open floor I had after removing the old yanmar.

IMG_4124.jpgIMG_4126.jpgIMG_4127.jpgIMG_4128.jpg

I still have to round the corners with some finish strips, but for now at least I have more storage to keep my tools out of the way and dry!

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 265

p.gazibara

Member III
Adding Cabinets and Hull Rigidity

To complete the process, I added some storage tabbed to the hull for a little added rigidity for the upcoming bluewater stint. It was quite a challenge to draw an imaginary "straight" line across the boat and make templates from that line to the hull form. Fortunately, between the wood and the hull I glued in a 1/2" strip of foam, so my templates didn't have to be perfect. From what I am told this prevents the hull from having any single point of stress to to the swelling of the wood or something like that.

After the foam was in place, I use about a quart of west system epoxy to tab the plywood to the hull with three 4" strips of fiberglass cloth on both sides of each panel. I also whipped up a thickened epoxy to use as a fillet to the hull joint. All in all, the new addition is stout!

IMG_4192.jpgIMG_4193.jpgIMG_4194.jpgIMG_4195.jpgIMG_4196.jpg

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I really wanted to add a diesel heater to my boat as well, but couldnt decide on which one, in the end I decided that on a 26' boat there are some things that just have to be done with out. I also plan to be in a more temperate climate sooner because of the fact that my boat is on a trailer making 50 mph towards Florida, I am most interested in any and all cruising upgrades that you have chosen to make to your boat, I have spent the last five years doing just that, and am now getting ready to put my choices to the test and see how I have done. I look forward to your future posts and updates.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
Finishing the New Cabinets

I now finally have a place to secure my stereo and the associated cabling to connect any devices. I also have storage all along the hull! She is becoming a cruiser more and more every day. I still have yet to sew new cushion covers for the dinette and make the frames for the sliding doors that will be installed in the openings.

I also added the insulation back onto the hull. I have one layer of 1/2" polystyrene directly against the hull that I used gorilla glue construction adhesive to hold in place, followed by two layers of reflectix. I attached the reflectix to the polystyrene using 3M spray adhesive.

IMG_4206.jpgIMG_4205.jpgIMG_4208.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4211.jpg

I am now getting a better idea on how to utilize space within the boat. The other dangerous thing this project spawned was confidence in my ability to modify the layout. Many changes are to come...

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Your two new posts showed up just as I made a post comenting on your heater.
I really like what you are doing with the port settee, I agree the acres of open floor space seemed like a total waste to me too even on my little E-26. I also expanded the settee on my boat. In my case into a full size permanant bed, and its been the best upgrade I have made yet! Thanks again for sharing.

p.gazibara

Member III
I really wanted to add a diesel heater to my boat as well, but couldnt decide on which one, in the end I decided that on a 26' boat there are some things that just have to be done with out. I also plan to be in a more temperate climate sooner because of the fact that my boat is on a trailer making 50 mph towards Florida, I am most interested in any and all cruising upgrades that you have chosen to make to your boat, I have spent the last five years doing just that, and am now getting ready to put my choices to the test and see how I have done. I look forward to your future posts and updates.

Congrats! it must feel great to finally be en route! I was hesitant to add the heater, but there is still quite a bit of sailing that we will be doing before the weather warms up. We will be heading to Port Townsend this spring to pull the mast, inspect the rig/make upgrades. We will also be hauling her out to inspect the bottom/add through hulls, possibly repitch the prop. That along with any racing we do before June, it will be nice to have the heat aboard.

Considering I'm a live-aboard and it has been cold, I am pretty happy with the heater so far.

p.gazibara

Member III
New Companion Way Ladder

I have three major interior areas remaining to tackle. The head is basically bare hull with a toilet all by it's lonesome (though it's the best head on the market), I will be building out the starboard side settee to make more storage for long distance cruising, and probably the most important upgrade will be re configuring the galley.

I am starting the galley remodel by modifying the companion way steps. When I bought Cinderella, she didn't have anything, you had to step on the counter-top then down to a fuel tank, then you were inside. All the while you had to be careful not to step on the exhaust hose coming from the yanmar. Since removing the diesel and going electric (see: best decision I have made to date) I have a clean slate to reconfigure the entry area along with the galley.

I used some cardboard to mock up what the entry steps will look like. I find it challenging to get a good feel for space without a mock up. I want to avoid feeling cramped in the galley to starboard and at the chart table to port. I also want to have a "natural" feel on entry and exit of the boat.

Here is what I have come up with. This project will be more challenging, as I am going to attempt to round the edges to make more space and prevent sharp edges. I will also be gaining even more storage and finally cover up the electric motor.

IMG_4218.jpgIMG_4219.jpgIMG_4220.jpg

I'll begin this project next week. I will hopefully be racing one of the local races here on the sound this coming weekend and I don't want to have a mess to contend with at 30 degrees!

I eventually plan to move the sink and build out more counter space when I tear into the starboard settee project.

p.gazibara

Member III
I found use for some of the scrap wood I had laying around, she is starting to look like a yacht again!

I finally glassed in the sole where the yanmar once stood. The teak panel in the middle was salvaged and will be an access point to the bilge area. After I make the remainder of the modifications, I plan to repaint the sole with kiwigrip deck paint. It is currently very slick and a slight hazard when underway beyond 20 degrees.

IMG_4215.jpg

I also used a piece of scrap to cover the front of the shelving forward in the vee berth.

IMG_4216.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Big Project !

You might find this boat rebuild blog interesting. The boat is a different make, but similar age and size to yours. This couple moors next to us, and it has been great to visit aboard every few months and marvel at the progress.
https://gypsykramer.wordpress.com

There is an Archives icon on the lower left, and you can select reports from the beginning and work your way to the present.

These big projects are very gratifying, even tho some months the progress might be slow.

Best,
Loren

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've been contemplating a project somewhat similar to your steps. What is your plan to maintain access to the bilge? On my boat, that hatch under the steps is the main sump and bilge pump area - needs rapid access and daily inspection.

p.gazibara

Member III
I've been contemplating a project somewhat similar to your steps. What is your plan to maintain access to the bilge? On my boat, that hatch under the steps is the main sump and bilge pump area - needs rapid access and daily inspection.

My bilge is the same way, also my electric motor is mounted directly above the prop shaft which runs through the bilge. If you look closely at the photos, I actually built the steps in two pieces. The farthest aft will become a rigid part of the cabinets. The part forward (two lowest steps) will attach via latches. The latches should allow me to connect and disconnect the front steps which will give me access to the bilge.

ill post pictures of the build next week.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Cool. I really should get on some of these projects while Arcturus is frozen into the ice (3" thick today!) But basic survival: shoveling snow, putting chains on and off the jeep, cutting firewood, struggling in and out of winter drag, etc., seem to take up the whole day.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
May not be directly relevant, but I thought this ladder had some interesting features. Note that the top two steps have little lockers and the bottom two are on a removable panel for engine access. I think it was on a Union Cutter 34. Pretty steep ladder though.
IMG_1625.jpg

Glyn Judson

Even less relevant to the audience at large.

All, On the topic of ladders and E27's specifically, we know a couple who own one that they bought with an outboard fitted in place of the original A4. Well that gave them a lot of extra space to stow stuff where the engine was. We all consulted on how to make access easier given the ladder being in the way of the engine room door and where to stash it while shifting cargo, etc so here's what we came up with. I attached a mahogany 1X3 to the inside vertical of the companionway tread using a piano hinge and lots of screws. I then simply moved the ladder hardware to the new hinged board which worked out perfectly to now swing it up out of the way and temporarily latch the underside, aft edge of the step to an eye we screwed to the forward wood aperture trim of the sliding hatch. Now it's so convenient for them to swing that baby up and out of the way, remove the door and gain access to stuff in there. The fun part was doing the initial head scratching and coming up with what ended up being a very simple solution to this problem. Glyn

p.gazibara

Member III
It seems like the most challenging thing is to get the angle of the ladder right so that entry and exit is not awkward. For example, a really steep ladder in my boat would have you hitting your head on the dodger before you were high enough to exit the boat. Too shallow and the ladder is taking up too much space. That was the reason for the cardboard model, to try and get a feel for the space and shape.

p.gazibara

Member III
Fiberglassing a "Chimney-Step"

So previously the hole in the cabintop where my Dickinson Newport stack exited was half-***ed. The weather has warmed up here in Seattle enough for me to finally add the new pad to the deck for the chimney flange to mount to. The flange was a 7" ring that needed a level platform to mount to in order to create a waterproof seal.

I proceeded to purchase a paint mixing bucket with a 7.5" bottom to use as a mould. I used some paper to make a template of the deck shape and proceeded to draw that onto the bucket. With some scissors I cut the shape of the template onto the bucket and glassed over the mould.

IMG_4230.jpg

It ended up being pretty close. I realized that the cap didn't extend deep enough to allow the barometric damper to fit below it, so I ended up cutting 1.5" off the mould. I then glassed it in place on the deck above the hole.

IMG_4233.jpgIMG_4234.jpg

End result came out pretty well! I left the mould as part of the mess, I'm not sure if it was a terrible idea or not considering it is just a plastic bucket, but I figured it couldn't hurt considering I'm not glassing the inside to the deck.

Here are a few photos from further away.

IMG_4235.jpgIMG_4232.jpg

Once dry, I will sand and paint to match. If I'm lucky most won't realize it wasn't original.

Cheers,
-P