• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Considering buying a 36c, please help.

NatoZ

I am looking at purchasing an Ericson 36c. I am mostly interested in long distance cruising and Bluewater passages. I need a boat that can cruise the Caribbean, and possibly cross oceans, safely. I'm not looking for anything that is super fast, nor do I have much desire to race. It looks like a solid boat and a comfortable liveaboard which are both requirements, but I haven't been able to find much information on the 36c's long distance cruising capabilities. Looks like the rig is a little short but like I said I'm not looking to go anywhere fast. If anyone has experience with Ocean crossings or long passages, say East Coast to Bermuda it would be very helpful.

Tof

E36 cutter

Hey!

We are from Canada and we just bought one (in fact the survey is scheduled for next Friday ).
Will tell you next year as we plan to sail to Cuba, St Marteens...for a full stop in Belize..
Draft is 5.7' and bow is 12'...Not perfect for the reefs but with a good dinghy...

Cheers,
Chris

37stories

James A.Burton
I own a 36C and live aboard. There are documents availible here on the download tab, that have the original sales brochure, along with sea trial reports. She is a blue water boat.

Tof

Hello James,

Many thanks for your feed back. Just got the doc!

Maybe you know...I had to send my stay-sail for repair and the guy said me that I better get a new one.
That's fine as the survey told me the same thing:)
I have a question for you...Do i must get a new sail built in 8 Oz or something less expensive will do the job?
Asking to myself and I really don't know:( - Any suggestion?

Anyway...Thank you again for getting back to me!
Cheers,
Chris

elguapo1072

I'm also looking into buying a 36C. According to the specifications, the S.A Displacement is only 13.45 (slow). I realize that the calculation excluded the sailstay area which is misleading. My concern is will it sail in Lake Ontario where 4-10Kt wind is common in the summer? I will generally use this for day sailing and occasional weekend trips. I currently have an Albin Scampi 30 with an S.A Displacement of 16.13.

From the owners here, can someone give me an idea on how this boat perform in 4-10Kt winds with all foresails and mainsail open?

Thanks in advance.

Brass Dragon

Member II
Puget Sound summers are similar, mostly 5 to10 kts wind. I feel we are keeping up with most but the lightweights going into the wind thru beam reach or so. With 10 kts wind, she does fine with broad reach too.
With a only a 10 ft boom, we have a pretty small downwind profile and are slow going downwind in light winds. I guess I could pole out the jib. A drifter would help too, but I'd have to go below and fish it out.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm also looking into buying a 36C. According to the specifications, the S.A Displacement is only 13.45 (slow). I realize that the calculation excluded the sailstay area which is misleading. My concern is will it sail in Lake Ontario where 4-10Kt wind is common in the summer? I will generally use this for day sailing and occasional weekend trips. I currently have an Albin Scampi 30 with an S.A Displacement of 16.13.

From the owners here, can someone give me an idea on how this boat perform in 4-10Kt winds with all foresails and mainsail open?

Thanks in advance.
One thing that raw statistics will not tell you is the importance of the hull and keel shape and profile. Bruce King is famous for designing hulls with minimal wetted surface low drag for their size. While no one can "fool the water" there is still a lot difference in shape and drag of a hull. No personal experience with that model, but I have crewed on a number of different makes of boat, and similar "numbers" do not always forecast similar performance.

elguapo1072

36c has a beam of 12' which marina neighbors consider "fat" as their beams are under 10'. I think when the boat is back in the water I'll take it for a sea trial before deciding. I currently have a 30' Albin Scampi which can move at a tolerable speed on 5 Kt winds. I'm not expecting the 36c to be as fast but at least move and not drift otherwise I can't use it for most of the season.

elguapo1072

Puget Sound summers are similar, mostly 5 to10 kts wind. I feel we are keeping up with most but the lightweights going into the wind thru beam reach or so. With 10 kts wind, she does fine with broad reach too.
With a only a 10 ft boom, we have a pretty small downwind profile and are slow going downwind in light winds. I guess I could pole out the jib. A drifter would help too, but I'd have to go below and fish it out.
Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like it's not as bad as my marina neighbors are saying mind you they never seen a 36c. I need to have a sea trial before deciding.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like the rig is a little short

In my experience the last thing a shorthanded cruising-boat sailor wants on an ocean passage is a tall rig. You will be reefed much of the time, for comfort and precaution. Lots of sail area is for full crews.