• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Slight Weather Helm E35-3 Carrying 147% Genny No Main Up

Doug177

Member III
Is this fairly common? My mast is raked slightly forward at top (3" maybe) compared to everybody else at the marina. The step is in the forward end of the slots so can't really go any farther forward down there unless I fiddle with it. I have never had a mast-head rig before.

Just doesn't seem quite right.

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Headsails and Helming

Is this fairly common? My mast is raked slightly forward at top (3" maybe) compared to everybody else at the marina. The step is in the forward end of the slots so can't really go any farther forward down there unless I fiddle with it. I have never had a mast-head rig before.

Just doesn't seem quite right.
Doug

Most boats will sail pretty well, albeit with some weather helm, using a large overlapping headsail.

If there is enough wind to heel the boat, like 12+ kts, hull shape will cause some weather helm. (From that wind speed upwards, you might also be feathering quite a bit of the main, or putting in a reef.)
The key, IMHO, is the overlap. With a lot of headsail (and 147% is a lot) you have a both a lot of sail area behind the mast combined with the heeling force that tries to turn the boat into the wind.

Then, there is the shape of the sail. If the sail is old or much-used, the draft has migrated aft and that will also push heeling forces further aft, and contribute to weather helm.
Further, if your main has lost some designed-in shape and the draft has moved aft, this just exacerbates the problem.

Our present boat was our first-ever masthead rig. Prior boat was a 3/4 fractional.
We sailed the present O-34 for a decade with a 135%. In 18 kts we were rail-down with some weather helm.
Nowadays we have a laminate full hoist 95, with three vertical battens. Boat is much better balanced.
(Remember that our hull is a tad less efficient going to weather than yours -- your BK-designed hull has a more symmetrical waterline.)

In my Album on this site there is a picture of us driving to weather at about 37 degrees and note that there almost no whitecaps at all- i.e. moderate winds. Boat speed was an easy 7 kts.

Your hull is easily driven, and unless you are pursuing that last nano-knot during a race, you may be surprised and pleased at how much performance you have at your disposal -- without any 'requirement' for a massive headsail.

At the least, consider using the 'off season' to have the shape of your main and genny evaluated by a skilled sailmaker.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Once the wind gets above about 18knts, I never sail my E-34 with anything other than the 130 jib. The E-34-2 and 35-3 share the same hull and rig with the 35 having a slight bit more overhang at the stern. The speed upwind under jib alone and various main and jib combinations is about the same so why bother with the hassle of the main? Contrary to what some believe, some weather helm is good. It does help you to weather if it is not excessive and, if there is a knockdown or other problem, the boat will round up instead of getting knocked down.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A slight weather helm is what you want.

But as the others said there are many factors in play before mast rake comes in (The recommended rake is in the owner's manual).