• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-26 cross country.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I'm trying to follow your route, Shelman, but you won't hold still. So--it was Oregon to Richfield, Ut, then Las Vegas, but now--Los Angeles?

Wel there have been quite a few false starts and even a few backtracks, at one point we faced 55kt winds on highway 101 and had to turn back north and take a diffrent route. So far the majority of the route with out all the detours has been from Coos Bay to interstate 5 on hwy 42, and then all the way down through bakersfield on the 5 with a bit of a wrong turn that had us down by LA somewhere at one point. But eventually we made it back on track via interstate 15 and up through vegas and on to Utah. The plan from Utah on out is to head south via hwy 89 down to Phoenix AZ, and then to head east on inerstate 10. We have looked into a few marinas in Florida to launch the boat from, maybe near Stuart or somewhere there abouts. We have also called arround to a few places where we can park the truck and trailer, but if anybody here has had a good experience somewhere down there or knows of a cheep and secure place to park for a few months let me know.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do check Highway 89 conditions before departure. The 15 to Las Vegas is more reliable in winter.

But you knew that.

If the vehicle seems crowded at times, it is because we are all in there with you.

also

I apologize for those concrete expansion seams on the 10 Freeway

A member too considerate to correct me in public provides the following additional information for Shelman's forthcoming book:

"As a point of clarification, your teeth may have been jolted by a few expansion joints, but the vast majority are 'contraction joints', a small % are 'construction joints' [the bulkheads delineating the start and stop points of a concrete placement] and the remaining are of the 'expansion joint' variety. You and your car's suspension won't see a difference between the 3, but the pavement designer's differentiate.

Welcome to a peek at my world!"

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Were done visiting with family in Utah now and waiting for a weather window to head back down south and start easting.
IMG_0964.jpgIMG_0967.jpg

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
And the roads today.... perfect for a sleigh ride. notice the fist size snow flakes blowing sideways at 30 mph. Annother two days and hopefully a break in the weather will be coming our way.
IMG_0969.jpg

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Yup we finally got out of Utah, we took 89 south from Richfield all the way to Phoenix, and we then jibed onto inerstate ten, where we promptly hit a piece of road debris kicked over from a semi truck in the fast lane. We ended up with two busted rims and of course we blew out both tires on the left side of the trailer. We now have four new rims and four new tires and im hauling arround a thinner wallet by about $750.
Here are a pic we took allong the way.
IMG_1018.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Yup we finally got out of Utah, we took 89 south from Richfield all the way to Phoenix, and we then jibed onto inerstate ten, where we promptly hit a piece of road debris kicked over from a semi truck in the fast lane. We ended up with two busted rims and of course we blew out both tires on the left side of the trailer. We now have four new rims and four new tires and im hauling arround a thinner wallet by about $750.
Here are a pic we took allong the way.
View attachment 21192
So how is our intrepid road warrior doing? And where is he doing it?

Any update, Randy?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Just made it to our first anchorage!!!
its been a busy two weeks, but all worth it now.
Were anchored near fort pierce at the moment, heading south over the next few days.IMG_1080.jpg
i cant get the dang thing to flip over!!! Sorry. Its all from my phone

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just made it to our first anchorage!!!
its been a busy two weeks, but all worth it now.
Were anchored near fort pierce at the moment, heading south over the next few days.View attachment 21334
i cant get the dang thing to flip over!!! Sorry. Its all from my phone
Hi, Randy! Sorry you weren't able to launch your boat right side up. :nerd: But glad you made it in one piece. Looking forward to more details when you have a chance.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
We were able to launch at riverside marina at fort pierce. Its not much to look at and is mostly filled with long.. long.. long.. term residents. But they got us lifted into the water and then we spent two nights in a slip with a 2' draft, but we nade up for the extra 3' by sticking our rudder and keel the other 3' into soft mud. (Calmest feeling night ever) The marina also didn't have any potable water so we had to start our trip with about two gallons of water. Fortunately the new katadyn watermaker is humming away making 1.3 gallons an hour, all while using less than the solar panels are cranking out, so we still have 100% charged Batteries too!
We did have some more mechanical troubles with the truck on the way over, the fuel pump decided to crap out on us and cost the cruising fund annother $900 and we are still leaking coolant from the water pump. but atleast we broke down at a friends house so we got to hang out a bit longer with them.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
We were able to launch at riverside marina at fort pierce. Its not much to look at and is mostly filled with long.. long.. long.. term residents. But they got us lifted into the water and then we spent two nights in a slip with a 2' draft, but we nade up for the extra 3' by sticking our rudder and keel the other 3' into soft mud. (Calmest feeling night ever) The marina also didn't have any potable water so we had to start our trip with about two gallons of water. Fortunately the new katadyn watermaker is humming away making 1.3 gallons an hour, all while using less than the solar panels are cranking out, so we still have 100% charged Batteries too!
We did have some more mechanical troubles with the truck on the way over, the fuel pump decided to crap out on us and cost the cruising fund annother $900 and we are still leaking coolant from the water pump. but atleast we broke down at a friends house so we got to hang out a bit longer with them.
How did you manage to get your boat out of the slip with your keel 3' deep in the mud? And where are you heading next?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Alan,
We had to wait for a really high tide to power and push out of the mud slip. It took some muscling!
It was so shallow that the manatees diddnt even have enough water to stay covered. They looked like muddy stepping stones in a sorry looking mud pond.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan,
We had to wait for a really high tide to power and push out of the mud slip. It took some muscling!
It was so shallow that the manatees diddnt even have enough water to stay covered. They looked like muddy stepping stones in a sorry looking mud pond.
Glad you made it out, Randy. Check your raw water strainer to make sure you didn't take in a bunch of mud that will cause you problems later.

I'm really interested in your trip. Are you going to be updating us in the form of blog posts on the site? I'm living vicariously through you, man! You're making me want to haul my own E26 to somewhere exotic!

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Alan,
its fun to share with people who have a passion for what im doing!
i was thinking of adding to the blog but haddnt really decided if it would be easier to enter blog entries or post on this thread. Mostly thinking of all the questions and answers going back and forth might be easier on the forum thread, but it does make it harder for someone to go back and catch up on my trip to have to read all the comnents. Maybe ill do a bit of both.
Hers the picture of the day.
IMG_1106.jpg Arrg!!! Its all sideways again. Man im missing a regular computer.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Palm trees, sunshine and cookies... and T shirt weather!

:egrin:

Attachments

• Ericson Chips Deluxe.jpg
    Ericson Chips Deluxe.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan,
its fun to share with people who have a passion for what im doing!
i was thinking of adding to the blog but haddnt really decided if it would be easier to enter blog entries or post on this thread. Mostly thinking of all the questions and answers going back and forth might be easier on the forum thread, but it does make it harder for someone to go back and catch up on my trip to have to read all the comnents. Maybe ill do a bit of both.
Hers the picture of the day.
View attachment 21347 Arrg!!! Its all sideways again. Man im missing a regular computer.
Love it! Keep 'em comin'!

What's your itinerary?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Workin our way down to Miami and waiting for a good weather window to cross the gulf stream, which means no wind out of the north and not too much speed in the stream its self. Then hop over to Bimini and then make our way over to the Exumas. And then be back in Florida before hurricane season.