• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Using oak in the interior?

adam

Member III
I'm thinking of using some white oak in the interior of my boat. I like it for the price and look of it. I'm thinking of using it for trim along the portlights and for some galley additions.

I think it will work great, but is it sacrilege to mix the original mahogany with oak in the interior of an Ericson?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes.

:)

But it's your boat and if you like the way it looks maybe everybody else will, too. So why not.

Mahogany at Home Depot is not too expensive, though, and I don't think the difference in price would be a big deal.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Adam,

I agree with Christian, in both regards. One thing you might want to do - if you use oak in one area of the cabin try to find other areas throughout the cabin to make oak accents. That way it could look intentional. That said, with that approach I can turn a three week project into a three month project on my boat. :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oak is really hard

Machining/shaping mahogany is a Lot easier than working on oak. If your original wood is mahogany it seems like using the same wood would be easiest to blend in with a bit of stain.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
+1
Just try turning a few wood screws into a piece of white oak. Then ask yourself how far you want to take that...
Scuse me... gotta go throw another piece of oak on the fire.

adam

Member III
Thanks for the info everyone. The biggest place I want to use it is trim above and below the portlights that's strong enough to attach things to: curtains, pots, etc?

I might still go with oak. I'm worried the darker wood high up will make the cabin feel darker. Plus, in the worst case I can always just swap it out later. :)

dt222

Member III
Another consideration is what happens if the finish (varnish, sealer, epoxy) fails on the oak, you'll end up with very noticeable dark streaks while the failure on mahogany or teak is less noticeable.

But as others have said, it's your boat and it only needs to please you.

Don

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't rule out paint, either, even thought that's sacrilege too.

When the veneer gets beat up, or maybe the aluminum deadlight trim has gone dull....

attachment.php

frick

Member III
Red Oak not White

If I were going for Oak I would use Red Oak.
White Oak, if it gets wet will turn gray and black. Red Oak does not!

Rick+

FredB

Tlingit Sailor
Hard wood

I have run into this problem on other boats I've used Purple Heart in place of iron bark and like the looks better.
I think if your creative with your blends of wood the outcome could be nice to look at I personally think it's a owner preference... hardwood is used for its longevity and strength on a vessel thanks Fred

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, and this is T2. Traditional Ericson, but also a peat bog of soaked brown.

I myself prefer a little light (in the case of T1, Interlux Brightside Hatteras Off-White)

1-ERicson 381 interior - Copy.JPG

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... it never occurred to me to paint the inside of the hatches. But back when I built my house, it was astonishing how much more light got reflected inside when I painted the window casings white.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The polished aluminum inside trim of those fixed lights was dulled by time, so I sanded and sprayed with Brightside using Preval sprayers.

But any hardware-store spray can would've worked just as well and been a lot easier. Specifically, Rustoleum "Professional High Performance Enamel Glossy Aluminum."And if you don;t like it, acetone takes it off in one wipe. Or paint remover.

Makes it easy to experiment if the old metal trim looks beat.

Last edited:
From Hilco on Sketcher....

Oak is a hardwood, in either white oak or red oak....and it's porous. Great for furniture and interior trim in homes.....BAD for weathered areas, even inside the boat.
Cherry is OK...if varnished.

The oak will accept moisture and split/warp.

Stay with Teak...it has natural anti-moisture properties.

Hilco

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Hatteras Brightside

Hi Christian - All the access panels were peeling and I'm in the process of stripping them because it's something brainless I can do in the basement between tuning skis, but I'm wondering if this is also the paint I should be using once I get them cleaned up. The plywood underneath is surprisingly nice, but I can't quite see my way clear to varnishing something that goes under the cushions.

Yes, and this is T2. Traditional Ericson, but also a peat bog of soaked brown.

I myself prefer a little light (in the case of T1, Interlux Brightside Hatteras Off-White)

View attachment 21167

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My whole "hidden" interior boat--access hatches, plywood under bunks, storage bays--is painted Interlux Brightside Hatteras off-white. But that's just because I had it open, some two years old.

I also use it for inside lazarette and anchor locker covers, and some visible parts of the hull below the cockpit. It stays shiny and spruces things up.

But any good semi-gloss exterior house paint would be fine, and cover better too. These areas rarely get wet and Brightside is expensive.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A good color match

When I was looking for a reasonable match for the EY gel coat color on our interior moldings, the warm off-white "Hatteras" was very close. I was trying to keep weight gain under control for the cruising bits I was adding... so I replaced almost all of the settee top lids with honeycomb panels. Those factory lids were about 3/4" plywood, and rather heavy. Ditto for the nav seat and forepeak berth filler.

Anyhow, it appears to be as close as you can get with an off-the-shelf paint.

gkjtexoma

Member II
White paint?

Don't rule out paint, either, even thought that's sacrilege too.

When the veneer gets beat up, or maybe the aluminum deadlight trim has gone dull....

attachment.php

Hello Christian,

Great looking interior shot. I'm thinking about dong that on my E30+ (the veneer is indeed beaten up). What shade of white and type of paint did you use?

On another note. I've watched a bunch of your videos -- excellent job on all. The best I've seen on sailing! I also ordered your book through Amazon and it arrives today.