• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy Insurance

davisr

Member III
Surprised to discover that the subject of dinghy insurance does not seem to be a subject of discussion on any of the sailing forums. I assumed that it would be one that would have generated countless threads.

Recently I purchased a motor for mine, which meant that I had to register the dinghy as a vessel with the State of South Carolina. This starting to make me wonder about insurance, not replacement, but liability. There are all sorts of scenarios I can imagine where a dinghy, separated from the mothership, perhaps far separated, could be found liable for an accident.

Thoughts? Experience?

Don Smith

Member II
Surprised to discover that the subject of dinghy insurance does not seem to be a subject of discussion on any of the sailing forums. I assumed that it would be one that would have generated countless threads.

Recently I purchased a motor for mine, which meant that I had to register the dinghy as a vessel with the State of South Carolina. This starting to make me wonder about insurance, not replacement, but liability. There are all sorts of scenarios I can imagine where a dinghy, separated from the mothership, perhaps far separated, could be found liable for an accident.

Thoughts? Experience?

Check with the insurance agent who sold you your homeowner's policy. If your dingy is small and has a small outboard it may be covered automatically for liability coverage. If not, liability coverage probably can be added for a small additional charge.

Captain Don
Gitana, E26

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I read somewhere--probably in the Boat US newsletter--that theft of "new" outboards off of stern rails was endemic.

They recommended covering, read disguising, them so they don't look "new."

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I read somewhere--probably in the Boat US newsletter--that theft of "new" outboards off of stern rails was endemic.

They recommended covering, read disguising, them so they don't look "new."

How have I done with my disguise? I don't receive many compliments.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Taressa Lacey 007A.jpg
    Taressa Lacey 007A.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 175

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
BTW, my outboard, a 1976 Johnson 2 cylinder, 2 cycle, 4hp is available. My son took my dinghy and left the motor. It's in the Albany NY area and can be available in the spring in the Lk Champlain, Philadelphia, or Rock Hall MD areas.

Send me a private message if you are interested.