• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

DIY yard near Annapolis ?

steven

Sustaining Member
I'm planning a major refit of Indigo, including possibly pulling the engine, and maybe putting on a Coppercoat bottom.
Probably will have her on the hard April to August 2017.

Any recommendations on friendly yard in the area (between the Magothy and the West R.) where monthly is sane and I can work with my own contractors ?
Many of the yards that used to support this have gentrified.

I think there was a thread on this awhile back but I can't find it.

thanks

--Steve

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Steve,

I am going to try Casa Rio casariomarina.com on Cadle Creek off the Rhode River (out RT 214 short of Mayo) when I haul next time for a full winter. They allow DIY and contractors. Contractors need to register with the Yard office so the yard knows what (and how) they are doing. The yard just wants to control environmental aspects so they don't get in trouble with Maryland Natural Resources.
I asked about having HUCO Builders glass blast my bottom to bare fiberglass and it was no problem. There was another E36RH in there this past Spring so the water depth can handle 6'3" draft.

For me, coming from DC, its just as close as Back Creek in Annapolis. In Summer, I would not want to travel east past Annapolis, toward the Bay Bridge or the eastern shore, or up to the Magothy due to potential traffic issues. If you come from the north or east, the eastern shore or Magothy may be easier. Eastern shore will be cheapest. Check out Ferry Point on the Magothy if that direction works for you. My boat neighbor had his bottom done there over 2-3 weeks in the Summer and had good things to say about them.

I've used Bert Jabins on Back Creek for a 3 week summer bottom job and a 2 day mast pull. They are directly across the creek from me so I saved daily driving and boat delivery hassles during the Summer. Not that there is anything sane about their rates, but for short duration it wasn't a lot more than others. (They asked if I needed to rent a slip for my two day mast pull, but I just motored back to my slip in 5 min.)

They also allow DIY and contractors have to register. The good news is that NOBODY with a boat at Jabins works on it themselves so you have the entire yard to yourself on the weekends! Also, Rod Jabin runs the place with military precision so they are always on time and ready to go - no delays or hold ups due to them.

Mark

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
Mark,

Thanks. I've tried most of the yards you mentioned. Hit or miss - sometimes great, sometimes argh!
I live in Annapolis area so can get easily to most places north and south.

Jabins has always been good and trustworthy - when Bert ran it and continuing under Rod's management.
But the cost is pretty high (for me).

I'll take a look at Casario. Thanks for the tip.

Might see you on the water next season - I'm launching (I hope) in early Arpil.

--Steve

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Paul

I am at Herrington Harbor and they have their own contractors and the cost is not inexpensive. I would like to hear how you make out for future work to Discovery (Ericson 1983 30+).

MJS