• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for info on two boat listings

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Two very beautiful boats! Im no help really as I have never sailed either boat. But I think there are a few people in the forum who have owned both, if you have a technical question im sure someone can answer it. Sometimes such a broad question leaves us all a bit speachless. I think perhaps the proper place to start might be with the boats intended "pou" (Purpose Of Use) will you be singlehanding? Or entertaining whole women's volleyball teams for long weekends? My personal favorite boat Ericson ever produced is the 35 mk III. To me it looks just right. Not too big but big enough to have a walk in shower and sutch. That is unless you want to trailer in which case I think my E26 is perfect. :egrin:

Edit: just realized you might be asking if anybody knows anything about these specific bosts and not the model of boat. In which case disregard my ramblings.

2nd Edit: Welcom to the forum!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Comment from up in the 3rd balcony

From the photos, the 38 has had some of the ports replaced. The factory Raritan PH2 (high $) Head has been replaced by a lower quality one. The upholstery and formica are replacements (color and pattern choice is subjective... would not have been my choice...)

I would ask why parts were replaced.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome Huc.

Interestingly the 35 has eyebrows. Was that a factory install?

fool

Member III
Hello Huc,

Welcome aboard!

Find a surveyor with a resume and have the boat that interests you the most surveyed. Come along for the ride while he/she works and you'll get quite an education at the same time. Also check your local library for Inspecting the Aging Sailboat by Don Casey. It'll cost you some bucks up front but will level the playing field when it comes to making a rational decision. Make sure your survey includes the engine condition (oil sample) and rigging, or hire a mechanic and rigger separately.

If you need more help making a decision get the second boat surveyed too. I'd spent the extra bucks just to have that opinion on-hand. Anything your surveyor poo-poo's as a big negative will need to be fixed for insurance/marina consideration. Where I live they want to see a copy of a recent survey for both expenses. Anybody can hang out a shingle and claim to be a surveyor. As for a boat owners, not a repair yards, recommendation and ask for credentials if not to see examples of their work.

I've lived aboard my '86 35-3 for 2 1/2 years. For a single guy who occasionally single-hands and has company along for the ride, it is a terrific boat. Standing headroom, plenty of accommodation for stuff, and generally very roomy. I almost went as far as stating it is very gourmet. That's the claim to fame of a Mk III over a Mk II.

The advertisements posted don't offer enough information. The mast and standing rigging for the 35-III aren't in any of the photos. It has been out of the water so any blisters (controversial topic), if there are any that really matter, may have dried out and won't be discovered. There is more discovery to be done on what each boat is equipped with for accoutrements, such as electronics, winches, sail inventory and condition.

One last tiny tidbit of advise: Do not trust scum sucking bottom dwelling barnacle carbuncle tar balls eating brokers that both list boats and represent both the buyer and the seller. Just sayin'... there is conflict of interest in this "regulated" system of commission collecting. If you do decide to buy a boat your selection of expletives will expand but at a ratio far less than your feelings of utter joy and amazement. Of equal or more interest are the expletives used to express those very feelings of absolute bliss under sail. When I run out of those I'm often left very awed and speechless.

Regards to you and yours during your explorations...

T.

Huc

About ourselves and our usage

Thanks for replying to my thread. I guess a little more info is warranted. We have two small kids, 2 and 3, for the next few years we will be cruising the maine coast. As the kids get bigger we will venture farther afield, north to the Canadian Maritimes and eventually south for an extended trip. My wife is the experienced sailor and I have the bug and have had it for many years now. Our previous boat was owned by my wife for 13 years, Cape Dory 25, and has now been passed on to a new owner. Originally we were looking at medium displacement modified full keel boats. But have since turned our attention to the two Ericson boats I have mentioned.
My reason for this thread is to gain more information on both models in general, but also to see if anybody had looked at either of these vessels and might have more specific information.
The e38-200 is listed by Pop yachts, my interactions with them have been fine, but the broker is across the country. Strange to me. Any info on them?

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author