• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Repainting the mast

joncyn

We have a 1984 35-3 black Kenyon spar that we would like to repaint white. We have to pull the rig to do some work on the grid under the under the mast step so now seems like a good time. There is some corrosion at the masthead and a few other places along with the assorted dings and oxidation, the paint is still very secure but after 32 years of use its time. The boat is in San Carlos MX so it's a DIY project sand the mast well with 220 and use the Interlux sand, wipe, sand wipe prekote sand precoat sand bright side sand, anyway you get the idea. Does the collective wisdom of the many here feel we'll be able to get good coverage over the black without any bleed through. We'll be rolling and tipping the final coats

Thanks alot
John & Cyn and the Mexican wonder dog Emma
Sv Alcyone
Ventura, Ca

EGregerson

Member III
paint

it seems if u get a good primer on and enough coats the black won't show thru; but i would have a bit of a problem leaving any 30 year old paint on; having my new paint relying on a base of old would trouble me.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You may have thought this through already, but for as much work as is involved with this project you might want to take the small extra step and go with Perfection two-part paint, which is much more durable than Brightside. It is a little fussier to apply, but not much.

Personally I would not change the color of the mast, and would happily tint primer black to make it even easier to recoat a black mast.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Confirm it isn't anodized black. Can be hard to tell.

I painted a boom with Brightside.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?111-Paint-Boom-Revise-Outhaul

Many coats (three) are necessary after sanding and priming, and rolling and tipping is not easy on a spar. Brightside is a miracle paint but it is thin and runny, and sags are always a threat.

I worked hard on the project and gave myself a B+. And this was in a garage, not saw horses in Mexico.

I would at least explore spray painting. In Mexico, maybe you could hire somebody to do it.

(The estimate to yank and repaint a 32-3 mast in Los Angeles was $8000.)

joncyn

Hey guys for the info sounds like perfection is the way to go, the mast is definitely painted and the paint that's there is good. Contacted someone to spray it on my initial visits he was the best guy in town had a chance to see some of his work and decided to pass!! I think after the initial sanding we'll etch than sand and spray on zinc chromate as a base to build on.

Any more ideas let me know we'll be slaveing in the yard from mid January on but at least the beer is cold and cheap

Thanks again

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>had a chance to see some of his work and decided to pass!!

:)

You'll do great and it's a worthy project. White is much more forgiving than black.