• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fear and sailing, thoughts about YouTube sailing vlogs, and naked sailors...

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I like your videos. Historically, I've only really watched the Vagabonde and Delos sailing videos. I came across your videos recently, and have added them to my list of ones to watch. I like how they have a DIY feel to them, as well as the lively music and narration. My only feedback would be to improve the video quality somehow (don't ask me how, I know nothing about making videos).

Mahalo

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Nicole & Ryan,
Love your videos, so please keep them coming! You have shown us some of your sailing, but please include more when possible, especially in higher winds and waves, perhaps a video of you putting a reef/double reef in the mainsail while you're coping with building seas and winds. This suggestion is based on my guess that many people avoid going to sea due to fear of being able to manage preparations for "weather". So anything you can show us to show what it's actually like--eg. cooking while the boat is heeled over, doing repairs at sea, etc..
Thanks! Enjoy your travels!
Frank

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Hi Nicole & Ryan,
Love your videos, so please keep them coming! You have shown us some of your sailing, but please include more when possible, especially in higher winds and waves, perhaps a video of you putting a reef/double reef in the mainsail while you're coping with building seas and winds. This suggestion is based on my guess that many people avoid going to sea due to fear of being able to manage preparations for "weather". So anything you can show us to show what it's actually like--eg. cooking while the boat is heeled over, doing repairs at sea, etc..
Thanks! Enjoy your travels!
Frank

Great suggestions, thank you Frank! We will definitely be including more of what you suggest in videos to come. Cooking while underway is difficult to film as a fixed mount camera moves with the boat rather than remaining "fixed" in place. This makes it look like the cabin is staying still while the stove and cook are moving around strangely. But we purchased a device that should stabilize the camera in place thus allowing the video to show more what it is actually like. Stay tuned!

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I like your videos. Historically, I've only really watched the Vagabonde and Delos sailing videos. I came across your videos recently, and have added them to my list of ones to watch. I like how they have a DIY feel to them, as well as the lively music and narration. My only feedback would be to improve the video quality somehow (don't ask me how, I know nothing about making videos).

Mahalo

Mahalo to you! We have been working hard to improve the video quality. So far all videos were shot on a combination of gopros and a simple point-and-shoot. We've been experimenting with different settings and I've been spending a lot more time and effort in post production (with the editing software) to try to improve. It's a huge learning curve, especially considering we're not just shooting video but also sailing a boat on offshore passages. We'd be grateful if you keep watching and let us know if you notice any difference?

Guy Stevens

Ryan Something that you might find handy. Also free editing software

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/vfx-for-filmmakers

There is a lot more in this than just VFX, although they are somewhat fun too.

We are going to be heading out of here soon on an extended cruise and trying to come up with some video presentations. Delos generally doesn't do it for me, but I fear that the naked blurred out girls seem to be the driving force for their videos. I find the lack of a coherent story arc in most of them to be annoying, but I have been informed by some younger friends that reality vlogs are better than produced ones....

We have done one test film so far, with mixed results. Some sound issues that we need to work on and a few other things....

Guy
:)