• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Switch Panel - What's this one for?

attachment.php

Here is the switch panel on my 1973 E27. As you can see, a couple of them have apparently been re-purposed. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what the BOW LT. switch is for. All the others are known to me. RUNNING LTS controls the bow red-and-green as well as the stern light. MASTHEAD LT is the steaming light. The rest are what they say they are. I haven't discovered anything affected by the BOW LT switch. It's hot side (blue) leads to the terminal block under the port lazarette, like all the rest. From there I haven't taken things out/apart enough to trace it. Anybody happen to know what it was intended for, or are there just too many variations?

Attachments

• E27 Switches.jpg
    E27 Switches.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 531

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It is possibly for a fixture on the front of the mast, about spreader height, that illuminates the bow deck. I have one that is on the bottom of a steaming light. That's my guess.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Frequently that is a switch label used for a steaming light. As there is no other steaming light on your panel, this seems most likely

celtic sea

Member III
E27 panel pic

IMAG0218.jpg
Hi, The pic is my pryer E27 1975 27. I believe this is basically the original setup. Currently prepping our 1975 E35-2 for this coming spring.
John
E35-2
1975-#413

celtic sea

Member III
The Bow light switch on mine worked the mast steaming white light. The running light switch turned on bow and aft running lights.
John
E35-2

celtic sea

Member III
Masthead switch turned on "anchor" light at masthead.
Do you have a steaming light on your mast? Or an anchor light? The wiring is just switched it sounds like. Trace it out when you can.
John
E-35-2

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Disambiguation ??!!

I concur with Celtic Sea.
My understanding of panel labels is as follows: Originally, the switch labeled "masthead" was only used for a 360° white anchor light. With the advent of masthead tricolors and strobes, the designation "masthead light" became ambiguous. Panel labels then needed to become slightly more specific.
Similarly, the term "bow light" generally designated a steaming light on the forward side of the mast. Most deck lighting was by spreader lights. When people added a light on the mast to illuminate the deck, labels were often changed to "foredeck light", "deck light", or confusingly "bow light".
If one wishes to purchase something called a "bow light", most likely what will be found is a red and green navigation light for the bow. This just adds to the confusion.
Perectly clear!!??

I have no permanent anchor light installed. The MASTHEAD LT. switch controls the steaming light. If I remember correctly, all wires going up the mast are accounted for. Guess I'll have to put a better effort into tracing the wire. I'm hoping it's unused, so I can use that circuit for a tiller pilot.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Check to make sure that "Bow LT." switch/breaker works. You can probably get an exact replacement if it doesn't.

It occurred to me that the Bow light wire could have been moved to the unused "Masthead" switch as a quick and dirty fix if the "Bow LT" switch failed sometime in the past.

I would also move the steaming light wire back to the "Bow LT" switch (if its working) and re-purpose the "Masthead" switch for your tiller pilot, as I think bow light is the more well known meaning for the steaming light.

FWIW, I've used the Brother P-Touch label maker I got for labeling wires to make new labels for a few of my switches. You can match the letter size and font and the black background blends very well on the panel.

Happy wiring!

Mark