• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Xantrex Truecharge location

ref_123

Member III
Hi, dear all,

after a long hiatus - life happens - I am back to boat upgrades projects. Some time ago (long time ago, I should say) someone - and I believe it was Loren - posted a picture of the charger placed under the sink... I looked through the archives, but it seems to be removed/archived. Any chance E32/34 owners can share their pictures or descriptions? The new (to me) Truecharge does not fit to the area where the old charger was sitting on the side of the trash bin.

Thanks in advance,
Stan

E32-3 1986 "Fire Eater"

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My Truecharge 20, since replaced, was located in the sail locker forward inboard corner. This is the location of the original ferroresonant charger.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Water heater 001A.jpg
    Water heater 001A.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 325

ref_123

Member III
Thanks Tom.

Your setup looks great, but on our 32-3 that area is pretty far from the batteries, so wire run would be pretty long. I am also a bit concerned about potential water drips from the locker hatch. Still, if the spot under the sink does not work out, it is an option.

I distinctly remember seeing Truecharge under that sink, above the fresh water tanks valves... Just cannot find that picture.

Regards,
Stan

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Your setup looks great, but on our 32-3 that area is pretty far from the batteries, so wire run would be pretty long.

Stan - FWIW, My house bank (2 x grp 29) is in the same place, under the aft cabin, and I think that is about 15 feet of wire from the battery to the charger and back to the engine ground. For my 20 amp charger with #8 wire that is less than 0.2 volts at full load which acceptable to me. With #10 wire it would be about 0.3 volts.

It would charge faster with less wire, but I don't worry about it because at the dock I'm usually there for the night. The battery in the pic is my reserve/start battery.

That said, less wire is cheaper, and cheaper is good.

pick

Member II
On my 32-3 the charger is located ahead of the refrigerator which sits on a shelf in the starboard locker in the cockpit under the winch. I think that is far enough up and forward so that it stays dry. I'm away from the boat so I can't send a photo.? Mike

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
On my 32-3 the charger is located ahead of the refrigerator which sits on a shelf in the starboard locker in the cockpit under the winch. I think that is far enough up and forward so that it stays dry. I'm away from the boat so I can't send a photo.? Mike

My son had a PS/E-32-200 and I put a Truecharge 20+ in the same place Mike mentioned in the sail locker. I hadn't realized the E-32-3 and the E-32-200 had the same sail locker layout.

The original Lewco charger was mounted on the same board. In the pic the Lewco is sitting loose on the shelf.

Attachments

• En Douce 214A.jpg
    En Douce 214A.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 57