• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Hull/Bilge Construction

Latitude

Greetings all- so I am a yacht broker and I have a listing for an 1989 Ericson 34, and one of my prospective buyers found online that there was some reported issues with the grid systems in which stress cracks sometimes can be found in the areas around the base of the mast. Looking at my listing, and also just having been on another Ericson 34 recently, they both seem to have identical areas where the grid system is coated in grey as opposed to white bilgecote in the deeper areas of the bilge.

I'm assuming this was how they were built, or could it be signs of near identical repairs in this area? They greyness the color of the epoxy used to bond the grid system to the hull?

Below are 2 pics each of each of the 2 separate boats bilges. If there is an issue, how is best to tell?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• E34-CT-1.jpg
    E34-CT-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 60
  • E34-CT-2.jpg
    E34-CT-2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 54
  • E34-1.JPG
    E34-1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 89
  • E34-2.JPG
    E34-2.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 59

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My EY-built boat is an '88, and AFAIK there was no epoxy used in its construction.
Of course I have used epoxy for later upgrades, but OEM's in the 80's used mostly all poly resin.

(Trivia note: one cost factor that Express boats in California never overcame in the mid 80's was their choice to use epoxy resin for it's added layup strength. That and added labor in their layup methods helped to push them into bankruptcy. Real nice boats when you find one for sale.)

Not sure how to interpret the photos; wish they were larger or had more rez. But that's the internet for you.

One relevant construction note from my own boat is that EY did use white get coat in the central part of the bilges (and throughout a lot of the rest of the hull areas under settees, the fore peak, and under the laz. area. It looks great, and is easier to keep clean.

Brushing on that white gel coat, late in the build-out process, often caused it to be applied thicker in and around any corner area. As you know, thick areas of gel coat will later show some surface cracking as the material slowly shrinks over the years/decades.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Some E-34 owners should be stopping by, in due course.

Regards,
Loren

ps: a grayish or slightly greenish sort of color is what aged poly resin in a layup would look like.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This is my '87 E-34. No work has ever been done to the grid, and am not aware of any E-34 that has had work done.

attachment.php

Attachments

• floor 7b.jpg
    floor 7b.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 373

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>> identical areas where the grid system is coated in grey as opposed to white bilgecote in the deeper areas of the bilge.

Not quite sure what you mean, but the gray in photo 3 (108 kb) indicates the tabbing by which the Ericson Tri-Axial Force Grid is connected to the solid hull. There are numerous such connections under the floorboards, and the tabbing usually has a much darker color than the white gelcoat of the TAFG.

The keel bolts penetrate the TAFG, and the bilge surrounding the stainless nuts and washers should be shiny white gelcoat. It appears that somebody has painted the bottom of the bilge a dark color? (The keel bolts should not be painted--encourages corrosion). Or is it oil residue ?(If so, trace source)

The so-called TAFG is the stiffening backbone, with molded features to accept furniture and tankage and provide conduits. It appears also to contain the mast step.

The good news is that this forum is a complete database of Ericson knowledge and experience. I suggest the client Google his question, adding "ericson yachts.org".

If you can't find the issue by searching this forum (use Google), it probably doesn't exist. The forum discusses and exposes all conceivable problems, and as you may have noticed is sponsor-free and entirely candid.

Last edited:

Roger

Member II
I'm not aware of any mast base issues on the 1980's version E-34, but perhaps some owners can confirm (or refute). There was an issue with the mast base on some of the older 35-3's, which was corrected at the factory sometime in the mid-80's.

Not sure what is going on in the photos. The TAFG is a beige color, and the original Ericson interior gelcoat that would have covered the tabbing was somewhat lighter IIRC. We may just be looking at the original construction with some discoloration.

EGregerson

Member III
mast base

I don't think this is a mast base problem; it appears to be an attempt to keep water from coming in thru the keel bolts. Haul the boat and see if any rust colored water comes down the ballast; check the hull/keel joint to assure the 5200 is in good shape; check the keel nut torque.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And now it's December 11

Odd that the OP has not logged back in since posting the question. I rather expected an expression of mild appreciation.
:confused:

Latitude

Thanks Loren for your input and sorry for being absent from the convo. I helped a friend on a yacht delivery that put me out to sea from Dec 3-Dec 12 and am just getting caught up now.

It's possible like you said that I am just seeing the white gelcoat in the center and then the aging poly-resin that looks greyish... or would have to take another look, but possible both boats decided to paint bilge coat grey above the bilge "scum" line.

This is one of the places I found mention of possible grid system issues: http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1050-ericson-34.html Mentioned in this article, but from hearsay from "some owners". As a yacht broker, I wish things would not be written about unless it has been fact checked.

My EY-built boat is an '88, and AFAIK there was no epoxy used in its construction.
Of course I have used epoxy for later upgrades, but OEM's in the 80's used mostly all poly resin.

(Trivia note: one cost factor that Express boats in California never overcame in the mid 80's was their choice to use epoxy resin for it's added layup strength. That and added labor in their layup methods helped to push them into bankruptcy. Real nice boats when you find one for sale.)

Not sure how to interpret the photos; wish they were larger or had more rez. But that's the internet for you.

One relevant construction note from my own boat is that EY did use white get coat in the central part of the bilges (and throughout a lot of the rest of the hull areas under settees, the fore peak, and under the laz. area. It looks great, and is easier to keep clean.

Brushing on that white gel coat, late in the build-out process, often caused it to be applied thicker in and around any corner area. As you know, thick areas of gel coat will later show some surface cracking as the material slowly shrinks over the years/decades.

Wish I could be more helpful.
Some E-34 owners should be stopping by, in due course.

Regards,
Loren

ps: a grayish or slightly greenish sort of color is what aged poly resin in a layup would look like.