• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

60" Home (Boat) Theater

adam

Member III
I have it dialed in just right now, and am loving it. :)

* Blackout fabric as a screen that I just roll up and stow when it's not in use.

* A mini-projector strapped onto the shelf rail. The projector I'm using has been discontinued, but the 3M MP300 looks like the new version of it.

* A Bluetooth speaker. I really like my JBL Charge+. But note that any Bluetooth speaker should be hard wired with a headphone cable for movies or else there is a annoying fraction of a second lag on the sound.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 291

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I thought of something like that, in a thread about boat sound systems over on Sailing Anarchy. How cool would it be to project the evening movie on the genoa? How annoying to everyone else in the anchorage?

I sort of have the feeling that VR headsets will be the death of big screens, eventually.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
project the evening movie on the genoa.

Years ago it was de-rigeur to pull pranks in the Newport-Ensenada race. It was a "serious" race for top programs, but mostly a race to the party at Hussongs Cantina for hundreds of other boats... many of which had probably not been offshore at night before. So there was the crew that played a very loud, very high-fidelity recording of a train going by... while about 20 miles offshore... just to freak people out. Etc.

One of the best pranks was on a large well-known classic yacht. In the middle of the night, they set up two movie projectors... one showing some disney cartoon on the front of the main, the other showing a... uh...more grown-up movie on the back of the main. The idea being that most of the crews on the other boats would want to see the latter one and would have no incentive to pass them while it was playing.

No idea how it worked out for them, but... it was entertaining.

Gary Holford

Member II
Last summer a group of us got together and projected the farewell concert of Tragically Hip (it's a Canadian thing) on 14' x 20' tarps at the Main Harbour of the Benjamin Islands, Lake Huron. It was a bit of a logistical nightmare not helped by drizzling rain. We used a 2000 watt Yamaha generator to power a home projection unit. Audio went thru a 3000 watt system on a nearby powerboat (they come in handy) and live streaming was handled by another powerboater. We warned everyone in the anchorage way ahead of time and invited them to stay if they felt so inclined. We watched from our boats, popcorn and cocktails. Everyone loved it.
Ironically during the second encore just as the band was starting into a Nautical Disaster the heavens opened up and a solid wall of water rained down. The monsoon quickly overwhelmed our video tent and blew up the projector.

Attachments

• Hip show (Small).jpg
    Hip show (Small).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 235

adam

Member III
We have also done it here on sails at raftup, but it requires a much bigger projector and a windless evening.

In the boat we can movie nights all of the time. The only thing that gets a bit wonky is when you're watching a sailing movie and the characters are in a boat rocking one way while your boat is rocking a different direction...

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... it occurs to me that a little device like that might add a nice touch of decadence to the back yard hot tub area, on some of these nights that it's too cloudy for stargazing. Although I'm not sure I can stew for the full length of a program.

Um... I mean "There is a strong business case for spending some year-end funds on a portable presentation device. For totally legitimate business reasons."