• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bracket for A4 Shifting Cable on E27

AndrewD

I'm trying to replace the shifter cable on my E27, but the bracket that connects it to the engine was missing when we bought the boat. I'm new to this stuff and a little overwhelmed and could use some help. I tried doing as much research as I could before posting, promise! =)

1) Anyone have any info on what the bracket looks like? I've done some snooping, and most people say "angle iron," but that's a little vague for me.. does anyone have a picture or better description? Is it literally just angle iron that attaches to the transmission case and has holes drilled for the cable clamp?

2) I found in another thread the appropriate cable is a Teleflex TFXtreme 6400CC 12'. Can anyone confirm the length?

3) Using this PDF, it looks like I'll need (2)
Univ. 6400/64 Clevis (I'm guessing the 5/16" pin will be adequate, but there's also a 3/8" option) and (1) Univ. 6400/64 Clamp & Shim Kit for the engine side connection. I'm assuming the binnacle side will still have a working clamp. Here are the Clevis connectors on West Marine.[Here's the 3/8" connector if anyone needs it]. Here's the Shim kit. Does that all sound about right?

4) Any money saving tips? I doubt it, but thought I'd at least ask. :nerd: Standing rigging is also on the list and wouldn't mind saving some cash!

Thanks in advance everyone! Hopefully the links above will save some people some time in the future.

Jenkins

Member II
Andrew,

my bracket is indeed a piece of angle - pretty sure mine is aluminium. no photos i am afraid.

you may want to post this queston at the Moyer forum - www.moyermarine.com/forums/index.php

someone there will very probably have pictures and have done this job.

you will want to join that forum anyway as you have an A4 in your boat.

best

Peter

Gary Holford

Member II
Andrew,

my bracket is indeed a piece of angle - pretty sure mine is aluminium. no photos i am afraid.

you may want to post this queston at the Moyer forum - www.moyermarine.com/forums/index.php

someone there will very probably have pictures and have done this job.

you will want to join that forum anyway as you have an A4 in your boat.

best

Peter

My E27 is in my yard. I'll grab a pix this weekend if nothing else surfaces.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I just replaced the shift cable. It took a 10 foot. Your # looks correct. The bracket is bolted to one of the transmission cover bolts. Pretty simple hunk of steel. I'll take a pic next time I go sailing- prob. tomorrow. And ditto to the Moyer forum.
I put new lowers on in August. Bought them from Rigging Only online. Owner Tom was helpful.

Last edited:

AndrewD

Thanks for the info and help everyone, pictures would be awesome! I'll cross post this in the moyer forum as well. 12' did seem a little long to me; I might just grab an 11' and split the difference =)

Hope your having a happy thanksgiving.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the Universal diesels, there's a shift-cable clamp. (first picture)

It mounts on a shift-cable bracket attached to the transmission. (second picture)

The clamp holds the shifter cable jacket firm so the control wire inside can move inside it.

On this clamp design, there is an important "bump" on the inside of the radius, which fits into the grove on the shifter jacket.

I have seen others where a set screw performs the same function.

attachment.php

shifter 2.jpg

Attachments

• shifter cable clamp.jpg
    shifter cable clamp.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I can't immediately find any pics of the back of the engine... my shift cable is clamped to a rough piece of angle iron that is scabbed onto the starboard-side transmission cover bolts, and sticks through a hole in the back of the engine compartment. The end of the cable is attached directly to the manual shift lever of the engine, but I seem to have no specific memory of that attachment point, since I have never detached it that I recall.

Edit: Found an old pic that partially shows it: Shift cable attaches to a Y-shaped bracket that is pinned through the shift lever. Cable goes out through the hole on the left and is clamped, behind that bulkhead, to the angle iron, which one can see vaguely passing through the hole on the right at the bottom.

Screen Shot 2016-11-24 at 12.52.04 .jpg

Last edited: