• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dirty soft plastic winch handle pockets and cowl vents

markvone

Sustaining Member
Is there any hope for cleaning these once they are this dirty?

Does anyone have any tricks for keeping new ones white?

Thanks!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 654

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Acetone and a throw-away piece of toweling. Lacquer thinner works about as well, also.
Wear some vinyl gloves, and do not inhale the fumes! :rolleyes:

We have the same style of handle pocket, and clean them up once a year.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just installed three new ones. I started making Sunbrella winch handle pockets as a better idea--but couldn't get the design to work.

Mouldering vinyl cowls and pockets have been my frustration for years, and all I can say is follow The Way of Loren (in all things).

And throw the old ones away every couple of years.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I just installed three new ones. I started making Sunbrella winch handle pockets as a better idea--but couldn't get the design to work.

Mouldering vinyl cowls and pockets have been my frustration for years, and all I can say is follow The Way of Loren (in all things).

And throw the old ones away every couple of years.

Those cowls are a pain in the transom! Tried cleaning mine and they got sticky.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Paint?

We scrubbed our old PVC dorade cowl vents and then sprayed them with white plasticote paint or similar. They looked good for about five years after that, but its past time for us to repeat the process - hopefully it will be repeatable. The vents in question were too $$$ for us to throw out and replace, but "cheap" items like winch handle holders I would be tempted to toss.

Regarding the cleaning, I don't recall exactly, but I think I just cleaned up ours with a stiff brush and detergent in the kitchen sink. I'm hesitant to use acetone to clean plastics I want to keep long term, I've seen some things that get sticky and not properly dry back up, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vinyl Rescue

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?105-O-34-vent-modification-from-Grizz
There is discussion in this blog about repainting the old vinyl vents (same material as a winch handle holder, probably).
I painted ours in 2012, and probably should have another coat or two put on next year.

BTW, if you find some sticky stuff on the newly-cleaned surface, I believe that is 'plasticizer' from the manufacturing process, and more cleaning will get rid of it. Once you do get the surface cleaned good, paint it.

Opinions rendered on the hour. Deposit one cent please. No guarantees.
:)
Loren
ps: I once sailed over 20 miles off shore, but not being Christian, I got lost -- not knowing "the way"... !

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

First try something a bit easier

Put them in a dishwasher, top rack, cascade works wonders.

For some really bad ones, brush and roller cleaner from ace hardware works great, Can't get it in Californian though. Doesn't make them as sticky as acetone or other solvents, I don't know why.

Guy
:)

Steve A

Member II
Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonders on them and any rubber/plastic( power cord, rub rail, fenders etc.)

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Made my own

Used some leather and Phfifertex scraps, and some snaps placed strategically around the cockpit and the cabin. They work really well with wine and water bottles, and for holding sunglasses, sunscreen, bilge pump handles, and anything with a clip (handheld VHF, InReach Explorer, etc...) to mount it on the opening.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,301

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Impressive.

Too bad you're not dating at the moment.

I should think one glance at such yachting accoutrements* would extend to any passing candidate a wholesome and immediate attraction.

*Had to look up spelling, plural, and pronunciation.

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I've done the cleaning with acetone in the past, and it does indeed leave the surface clean but quite sticky. It also seems to sort of open up the pores of the surface, and make it more readily attract dirt in the future, so you need to treat the surface some how to get back to "normal". Painting is certainly one option, and I've gone that route on a couple of items. But what has also seemed to work well is treating the surface with either Armor All or just simple boat wax, either of which will keep it from attracting dirt - BUT which will not last, and will need to be repeated.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Used some leather and Phfifertex scraps, and some snaps placed strategically around the cockpit and the cabin. They work really well with wine and water bottles, and for holding sunglasses, sunscreen, bilge pump handles, and anything with a clip (handheld VHF, InReach Explorer, etc...) to mount it on the opening.

attachment.php
You could market those!