• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for information about the Ericson 36 RH

ReefTheMain

Hello Ericson owners!

I am an aspiring cruiser (I have my ASA certifications up through 106 and have skippered several charter boats up to 50') and was planning on heading down to Florida to buy a sailboat and begin living in the Caribbean for a few years. I have more than enough money saved up for the boat and am just planning on working through October 2017 to build up more for my cruising coffers.

As I'm a photographer, videographer, and software engineer, I'll be living (mostly solo, with occasional friends visiting) on my boat full time living fairly cheaply and doing a lot of computer work, so I need something I can single-hand and something that will keep me fed with electricity (using as little diesel as possible).

I regularly look at listings for boats in my planned price range ($25-35k) just to keep an eye on what I should be expecting when I finally leave Seattle, and just today I ran across a 1982 Ericson 36 RH down in Florida with an asking price of $25,000. It has a ridiculous amount of new equipment on it that was installed over the past two years. The two owners are my age (early 30s) and ex-military who'd bought the boat a year ago expecting to cruise the Caribbean until one of them got a dream job, so the boat is up for sale. It seems to be (both from the pictures and discussing it with the broker) in really good condition, with the main caveat to that being that the interior is not a nice teak interior, but instead has lots of plywood as it's the stuff the two owners installed so they could get up and running. Frankly I don't mind that too much, as long as it is functional and not gross it'll be fine with me.

If I did buy a boat now, I'd just stick it on the hard for the next year rather than shorting my cruising coffers.

So, on to my questions:
1. This is clearly a ridiculously good deal, meant to be a quick sale. How good of a deal is it? Of course I'd get it fully surveyed before buying.
2. What are the issues to look out for?
3. How is the Ericson 36 RH's motion at anchor?
4. How is its motion at sea?
5. Is the Ericson 36 RH a good liveaboard in general? What should I be aware of in terms of comfort and living on it?
6. The boat currently has rod rigging, which I would likely want to replace even after an inspection (as the broker does not know when it was last replaced). Would it be worth it to switch over to synthetic rigging, or stick with rod?

Thank you!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Can't answer any of your questions, but I'll add a tidbit: your profile says you're in Seattle, there's an E36-RH up here that has been on the market (craigslist) for quite some time... including some significant price reductions since the summer.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/5829816287.html

Might be worth the time to check it out, ask the seller some questions, see if he/she has guidance about how well suited it is for cruising and what to watch out for.

$.02

ReefTheMain

I appreciate it, but I do want to leave the northwest and head to the Caribbean, so I'm not planning on getting a boat up here. :)

That said, I will contact the seller, that's an excellent idea.

EDIT: just got a generic "I'm only the broker, the info in the listing is all I have" reply from that avenue of inquiry

Last edited:

Steve Swann

Member III
Hmmmmmm........

Dear Reef The Main:

When you start telling me the boat is in Florida (sun baked tropics), that there is a lot of owner-installed plywood inside to "get up and running" for whatever reason and the owners installed a ridiculous amount of new gear, and the brokers says its in good shape.......I feel like I need my running shoes.

First: You are looking at a boat 3,000 miles away when you have a huge pool (pun intended) of boats in the PNW from which to choose. Pictures and previous owners are not above lying.

Second: Florida's sun and weather is really hard on boats; nobody pays asking prices in this cauldron. Staring at somebody's idea of plywood fixtures might make you stark raving mad in about 6 mos. It looks cheap because it is. You need a boat that is pleasant to spend time on - and inside. Plywood might not be your first choice after a while.

Third: Don't listen to the Broker. Don't listen to any broker unless they have been properly vetted. The broker you reference likely has not.

Fourth: A surveyor is worth it. Don't buy a boat sight unseen. Don't make it an emotional purchase; be prepared to walk away from ANY boat: even (gasp), an Ericson. Don't make an offer on ANY boat until you hire a professional surveyor.

Fifth: Your budget is adequate for a decent cruising boat. As you suggest, locate possible cruising boats that already have electronics, GOOD cruising sails, a GOOD dingy WITH motor, spares, watermaker, etc. Don't get 2-foot-itis. Big boats are harder to handle and more expensive in every way. Whereas I sit out on the end dock in our 50'+ deep draft cruiser, I always envy the 27-28' boats in the Marina right next to the Laundry and bathroom. There are a lot of good boats around the 30' mark that will work brilliantly for a couple years of cruising.

Sixth: Why the Caribbean? It is expensive, noisy, increasingly regulated, and while sitting in Seattle, you may be disillusioned with what you think it is. Reality check. Many anchorages are crowded, you'll have to buy water if you don't have a watermaker, and the list goes on.

Seventh: If you are getting ready to cruise and you need to add to the cruising kitty while working in the PNW, you can work and sail on your boat in the Seattle area.

Eighth: You already live in a fabulous cruising grounds. Try fitting on your rain coats and go north. If you need to dry out and warm up someday, go south: Make a trip down to Mexico and ply the Sea of Cortez. You will find everything you are looking for with respect to adventure and remoteness. We've spent 7 winter seasons there and want to return after Alaska.​
I just think you have acres of opportunities under your feet right where you are.[/INDENT]

Just my 2 cents and opinions. This free advice is probably worth just this: $0. You didn't pay for this and I am sure there will be lots of disagreement with me on this. You'll do what you want and learn along the way. In any case, keep it fun.

Steve Swann
s/v "Tahnee Mara"

ReefTheMain

Hi Steve, I appreciate the time you took to reply.

You're absolutely right to ask why I am not looking at boats in Seattle. The truth is, I actually was, but I was looking at larger boats that I would need to finance, with the goal of heading across the Pacific. However, there are a number of good reasons that I would like to head to the Caribbean next year. My plan up until I saw this boat was to head down to Florida next November and look around and find something to buy over the course of a few months. I don't really have a desire to live in a marina on a smaller boat here in Seattle (I've sailed around here plenty)--if I'm going the smaller/cheaper boat route (which is simply a better idea for my first boat) I'd rather it be down in the Caribbean.

I am not going to buy a boat sight unseen. Right now I am trying to find out more about this particular model before I fly down to Florida to see it for myself and have a survey done on it.

I am mostly interested in hearing about experiences with this model of boat (thus my post on this forum)--I am approaching this fairly cautiously and don't have my heart set on this particular boat, I just need to know more about this particular model before I start making plans for flights (I'm also trying to get more information about the available of dry dock storage and prices down near where the boat is being sold).

For me this is not a "someday" thing. I'm done with Seattle, I've worked in software here for the past decade, and one more year is all I can take.

(for what it's worth I have done sailing trips in the Sea of Cortez and in the BVIs in addition to the sailing I do here in the Pacific Northwest)

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
If (!) the boat and engine are sound, I'm leaning toward "good deal." Can't really tell that from the photos. However, it is obvious from the photos that while they bought some nice toys, all the work the previous owners did will have to be re-done.

I mean, I'm no master craftsman, but... just for starters: Nothing appears to be holding those big solar panels on. Nothing keeping those batteries from bouncing around and wreaking havoc. Nothing supporting those thin interior plywood pieces. Furring strips and drywall screws? Really? Lots of new running rigging, but lots of really old-looking pieces too. And... those stripes! Maybe you could throw a blanket over them?

Steve Swann

Member III
Hmmmmmm

You do have some experience and experiences. Having owned an E25 and sailed on a 27, 32, 35, and 38, Ericson's are generally good sailers and there are enough owners out there with enough pride and pocketbook to keep them up. If you have your heart set on an Ericson, all of us on this site understand completely!

It sounds like you are setting out to do this the right way. I have no experience with the model you are considering so I am of no help to you other than this: Be patient and you'll find a good Ericson. Along the way, don't rule out a good 36C and a few other models, like the 39 and 41.

Steve

Steve Swann

Member III
Plywood

I think the plywood is questionable at best. If someone is willing to plywood up refit on a boat such as this, one has to wonder how much "fit" and knowledge went into it? Despite all the goodies, I think a surveyor will have a lot to say about some of the modifications on this boat.

Steve
Boise ID

ReefTheMain

If (!) the boat and engine are sound, I'm leaning toward "good deal." Can't really tell that from the photos. However, it is obvious from the photos that while they bought some nice toys, all the work the previous owners did will have to be re-done.

I mean, I'm no master craftsman, but... just for starters: Nothing appears to be holding those big solar panels on. Nothing keeping those batteries from bouncing around and wreaking havoc. Nothing supporting those thin interior plywood pieces. Furring strips and drywall screws? Really? Lots of new running rigging, but lots of really old-looking pieces too. And... those stripes! Maybe you could throw a blanket over them?
Very good points, and worth looking into. I had noticed the battery issue (and was one of the first things I'd figured I'd fix if I ended up getting the boat, get them secured properly). I think I may pay for a quick pre-inspection by a good surveyor to see if it is even worth me flying down there--if I really did need to re-do most of their work you're right, it would not be worth it.

You do have some experience and experiences. Having owned an E25 and sailed on a 27, 32, 35, and 38, Ericson's are generally good sailers and there are enough owners out there with enough pride and pocketbook to keep them up. If you have your heart set on an Ericson, all of us on this site understand completely!

It sounds like you are setting out to do this the right way. I have no experience with the model you are considering so I am of no help to you other than this: Be patient and you'll find a good Ericson. Along the way, don't rule out a good 36C and a few other models, like the 39 and 41.

Steve
Thanks! I am fairly model-agnostic, as I'm simply looking for something that I can afford, will be comfortable to live on, and is single-handable. ("afford" also means something that I don't have to put too many tens of thousands of dollars or months of work of setup before I can head to the DR). I have done a number of days of sailing here in Puget Sound on an Ericson 26 (named Leif, because of course, and because it's moored at Shilshole Marina where there is a big statue of Leif Erickson) and I rather liked how well it was laid out for such a small vessel, so I have at least been paying attention to Ericsons in my price range. (conversely I had a pretty bad experience skippering a Morgan 41 ketch last year in the Sea of Cortez that soured me on Morgans in general--the thing handled like a pregnant yak and the layout was not something I would like living with)
I think the plywood is questionable at best. If someone is willing to plywood up refit on a boat such as this, one has to wonder how much "fit" and knowledge went into it? Despite all the goodies, I think a surveyor will have a lot to say about some of the modifications on this boat.

Steve
Boise ID
Agreed--that is both why I think it is priced so low (that and those hideous striped cushions!) and the thing I am concerned about. I don't need the plywood to be pretty, but I also worry if it was done badly how much work it would be to deal with it.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One small bit of advice from up here in the third balcony.... when you look at a boat and immediately see work poorly done, this may be a sign of poor maintenance and work in places not visible. :rolleyes:

Good Quality boats can be upgraded.
I have in mind a lovely Cascade 36 that moors beside me and has been completely rebuilt. Re-manufactured, actually. When the couple bought it the last owner had wired the AC circuits with zip cord. He was quite indignant when the surveyor "insulted" his wiring! :0

Under it all, the boat was solid and worthy of a rebuild, and they are now in the finishing stages of that work. (Their plan is to cross oceans in a few years when they retire from work.)

You will not likely be looking for a "project" boat, but sometimes buyers seeking a larger live-aboard vessel have little sense of just what in involved in bringing ANY older boat up to standards. Ericson is certainly not the only high end boat worth restoring, but it is among a small group of brands at the top of any list.

Here is the Blog link for that Cascade:
https://gypsykramer.wordpress.com/gypsy/

Trivia: their prior boat was a well-equipped Ericson 27.

Cheers,
Loren