• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

slab reefing

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Discovery, an Ericson 30+ has a old slab reefing system on the boom. I have never used it, can someone point me in the right direction?

MJS

woolamaloo

Member III
I'm interested in this as well. There is a Harken block on tracks on either side of the aft end of my boom that I presume are for the reef system. But they never make sense to me. Instead of using them, I have the reef lines come out of the boom sheaves, to the reef cringles, and back to a bowline around the boom. Like this:
attachment.php

This has worked very well for me but I still wonder what those blocks are for on the boom.
I found this picture of my my main up that shows my reef lines and the unused blocks. I actually have one reef in in this picture.
attachment.php

Attachments

• The-ends-of-the-reef-pennants-need-to-be-secured-tightly-around-the-boom-so-they’re-slight.jpg
    The-ends-of-the-reef-pennants-need-to-be-secured-tightly-around-the-boom-so-they’re-slight.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 140
  • reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 128

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jim is how to do it with loose footed main. That boom Hardware was for slug foot mains. Can be removed. Sent iPhone.

bolbmw

Member III
Mine is mostly rigged up as in Jim's diagram and I have a loose footed main. For my second reef I did end up putting a cheek block on the outside of the boom as all the internal sheaves were used. 1st reef is internal, 2nd is external.

Guy Stevens

The Drawing is not quite right.

There is a slightly better way to do it, especially if you have lazy jacks, or sail for a while with the main reefed.

The way it is drawn there will be a substantial amount of chafe possible with the main sail cloth being trapped under the reefing line. (The line stretches, works back and forth and you have at least one if not many holes in the sail).

Instead of bringing the bitter end down on the opposite side of the sail as in the drawing, bring it down on the same side it went up on. This way the grommet or ring is taking any chafe and not the whole sail bundle.

It also makes it easier in my opinion to tie the remainder of the sail up.

Loose footed or not doesn't make any difference, you just have to get the reefing lines tied in the correct place.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
There is a slightly better way to do it, especially if you have lazy jacks, or sail for a while with the main reefed.

The way it is drawn there will be a substantial amount of chafe possible with the main sail cloth being trapped under the reefing line. (The line stretches, works back and forth and you have at least one if not many holes in the sail).

Instead of bringing the bitter end down on the opposite side of the sail as in the drawing, bring it down on the same side it went up on. This way the grommet or ring is taking any chafe and not the whole sail bundle.

It also makes it easier in my opinion to tie the remainder of the sail up.

Loose footed or not doesn't make any difference, you just have to get the reefing lines tied in the correct place.

Guy

I'd like to see a drawing of that Guy if you have one.

Guy Stevens

How about a good major key solo instead?

I tried drawing this, and can't make it work with my drawing skills in 3d. In 2d, it looks like the lines are all the same.

(So instead of drawing it, I am going to play a nice major scale solo over a chord progression in G)........ OR....

Let me try an explanation.

The reefline comes out of the back of the boom, (or off of the cheek block), it goes up the port side of the sail, through the reefing grommet, (It is now on the stbd side of the boat right? ) it then comes around the back of the sail below the running portion to the port side again. It runs down the sail, and is tied around the boom as in the drawing above.

As you reef the sail with this configuration all of the material of the sail will be on the starboard side of the boom. It won't be compressed between the reefing line and the boom as it normally would.

Guy

For the rest of you wondering... Both Rick and I play the guitar.

woolamaloo

Member III
Hum a few bars maybe I can make it out.

Actually, I got it. It makes sense now that you describe it and I like the logic behind it. Hopefully, when winter is over, I'll remember to rig it that way. It's a long winter.

However, I'm worried that I hijacked mjsouleman's thread. I hope this has been pertinent.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I tried drawing this, and can't make it work with my drawing skills in 3d. In 2d, it looks like the lines are all the same.

(So instead of drawing it, I am going to play a nice major scale solo over a chord progression in G)........ OR....

Let me try an explanation.

The reefline comes out of the back of the boom, (or off of the cheek block), it goes up the port side of the sail, through the reefing grommet, (It is now on the stbd side of the boat right? ) it then comes around the back of the sail below the running portion to the port side again. It runs down the sail, and is tied around the boom as in the drawing above.

As you reef the sail with this configuration all of the material of the sail will be on the starboard side of the boom. It won't be compressed between the reefing line and the boom as it normally would.

Guy

For the rest of you wondering... Both Rick and I play the guitar.

LOL! Now, play that G major scale over Em, Am, B7 chords for a nice sounding solo!!!

Thanks
Guy

cooper999

Member II
I apologize for the necropost, but we have a slug footed main on our 30+ with tracks along both sides of the rear of the boom for hardware as Jim (woolamaloo)'s photos. Previously I've reefed as Guy described, with the reef line tied with a running bowline around the boom over top of the sail, and I've been concerned about chafing.

Should we be investing in hardware to mount to the tracks on the sides of the boom to attach the reefing line to in lieu of the bowline directly to the boom/over the sail method? The previous owner advised against this approach so I never thought about it much until looking over this thread. If so, what works? a bail on a slide? Something like https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=145_120&products_id=3711?

Thanks all-every day a head scratcher for me:rolleyes:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I must have six of those boom reef fittings in a box somewhere, various track sizes. If you want a couple, measure your track and send me a PM.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
reply woolamaloo

Yes, mine is slug footed.

I setup the in-boom reefling system this past weekend and used it in winds up to 18 Knots and a single reef.
worked like a charm.

MJS

QUOTE=woolamaloo;102836]Thanks Christian. It finally makes sense to me.

MJS, Is your main slug footed?[/QUOTE]

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
reply 2 woolamaloo

No hijacking at all. This is all good stuff.

when I get a moment, I'll post a picture of my in-boom reefing system.

MJS

Hum a few bars maybe I can make it out.

Actually, I got it. It makes sense now that you describe it and I like the logic behind it. Hopefully, when winter is over, I'll remember to rig it that way. It's a long winter.

However, I'm worried that I hijacked mjsouleman's thread. I hope this has been pertinent.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, mine is slug footed.

I setup the in-boom reefling system this past weekend and used it in winds up to 18 Knots and a single reef.
worked like a charm.

MJS

QUOTE=woolamaloo;102836]Thanks Christian. It finally makes sense to me.

MJS, Is your main slug footed?
[/QUOTE]

On our previous main, with slug type foot, the sailmaker put a reinforced slot along the foot for the reef line (as part of a recut to extend its life). This might lead to a similar reefing line result as described by Christian.

Loren