• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help needed ! New ericson 30 - looking for information

Nugget

Hi all
We have just purchased an ericson 30, hull number 21. It was previously called Hoku Pa'a and was owned by jimmy hall. It has since been renamed the dot. We are trying to learn as much as we can about the history of this particular yacht and was hoping that someone on this forum may have some information for us ? We believe it originated in Hawaii but is now in australia ? Any information, even if only small, would be much appreciated !! Thank you in advance :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This seems like a good forum for such a question.
Gotta say, that boat has ventured a long ways from California.
:egrin:

For some reason the same question was duplicated across several of our forums, so I had to remove most of the duplicates.

(If a new member is trying to be extra sure of getting noticed, this is kind of like running around the outside of the house, knocking on the front door, the back door, and also rapping on all the windows.... the house occupant is less likely to cheerfully answer the front door, and will probably be irritated when he does so!)
:)

Loren

ps: over the years, Ericson built several different 30 footers. What year is yours??

Last edited:

Nugget

Thanks for your response :) sorry for the confusion regarding which forum to post in. Our Ericson is a 30-1 , 1967.
We got very excited yesterday when we discovered it had such a colourful history when we received all the old paperwork associated with it, and would love to find out more!

PDX

Member III
There was one for sale in Hawaii for quite a long time. It had chainplates repositioned to the outside of the hull. Looked to be well maintained from my recollection. Good looking bottom paint. Don't have any idea whether it found its way to Australia recently.

If you're interested in the Ericson 30-1 model, in general, apart from your particular boat, let me know. I have a 1968 E-30, hull number 79.

Nugget

Ours has been fully gutted and striped by the previous owner now passed away so we have the job of fixing her back to her former glory I would love to see some photo of yours to see what it should look like

PDX

Member III
When you say gutted and stripped do you mean everything in the interior, including bulkheads? If so, you have a lot of options for a rebuild. There were about three different interior configurations. What your particular boat had may not be optimal for your current needs. It would be helpful if you could post some pictures.

Nugget

This is what we got

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 63

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That little mast rack is interesting - never seen that simple setup before!

I'll have to presume you like painting. Looks like a lot of the hard prep work has been done (perhaps by you).

PDX

Member III
Looks like your predecessor (or someone in the ownership chain) did quite a few add-ons. And it looks like they were into teak.

It looks like your boat has the original cockpit coamings and toe rails (and they were teak originally). The teak on the starboard cockpit bench is not original (it was just a FG surface like the port side). None of that teak edging on the coach roof is original and I would strongly urge getting rid of it as it looks like a water trap and ruins the cabin top's graceful concavity.

Moving inside, the bulkheads look like they are either original or new ones installed in the original locations. But the original bulkheads were mahogany veneered plywood, so the veneer has been painted over if they are in fact original. It looks like there is a teak sole. Original was marine plywood with a shag carpet. My V-berth did not have drawers on the port side or an opening on the starboard side, so those are either a factory option or an owner modification by somebody. Also, all the original surfaces in the interior were either mahogany veneered plywood or solid mahogany--there was no white paint. So that V-berth area has been painted over if it is original.

I am going to try to attach some pictures so you can see what the original boat looked like.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Ericson 30, 1968 blue, well varnished teak, cockpit view from aft.jpg
    Ericson 30, 1968 blue, well varnished teak, cockpit view from aft.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 124
  • ericson 30 salon aft, dinette style.jpg
    ericson 30 salon aft, dinette style.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 791
  • Ericson 30, 1968 blue, well varnished teak, bow area.jpg
    Ericson 30, 1968 blue, well varnished teak, bow area.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 429

Nugget

Nice boat hope I can get mine looking that good
we have not done any work to her yet what you see is how we bought her.
Not 100% how we want to set the inside up if we keep her in Tasmania most of the sailing would be over night or a few days . what lay out do you think would suit that type of sailing ?

PDX

Member III
How many people are going to sleep on it?

If you're interested in keeping the layout faithful to something the boat had originally, the layouts were as follows:

All layouts had the V-berth of course; either what I saw in your picture or very similar to it. This is suitable for sleeping one adult but not two unless the people are quite small.

Aft of the main bulkhead the options were:

1. Dinette table to port that converts to double berth. Captain's berth to starboard with a fold out ledge for additional room. This makes a very spacious single berth but, once folded out, it is virtually right next to the dinette double berth. Head to port forward of main bulkhead with closing door. Hanging locker opposite.

2. Booth to port that converts to berth slightly smaller than the dinette option--probably a nice size single berth but not enough for a double. Captain's berth to starboard same as option 1. Head to port forward of main bulkhead with closing door. Hanging locker opposite.

3. Third option is pretty radically different and somewhat rare. It is dinette table to port (same as option 1.). Side galley to starboard, consisting of ice box, stove, etc. Quarter berths aft on both sides extending into cockpit area. Walk through head forward of main bulkhead with toilet to port and sink to starboard (no hanging locker).

I can show you plenty of pictures of 1.) and 2.). Not sure I have pictures of 3.). It was rare and I assume was intended for off shore racing.

usmmjenny

Tipsy Sailor
1967 Ericson 30-1 Hull Number 17 in California

This is what we got

Hi! I have a boat just like yours, this is an old thread, so I'm not sure if you still have her,:confused: but if you do, then maybe I can be of help, my boat is in almost original condition, not the greatest condition... lol, but still (mostly) original. I'll be starting her refit this summer. I will take lots of before and after photos and post them here, since they are hull numbers 17 and 21, I'm pretty sure they were made in the same yard about the same time. After looking at some of the photos of your boat gutted, I can see where you would need photos of how it originally looked. Godspeed! Jennifer

meemee

1967 e 30 here

Hi all
We have just purchased an ericson 30, hull number 21. It was previously called Hoku Pa'a and was owned by jimmy hall. It has since been renamed the dot. We are trying to learn as much as we can about the history of this particular yacht and was hoping that someone on this forum may have some information for us ? We believe it originated in Hawaii but is now in australia ? Any information, even if only small, would be much appreciated !! Thank you in advance :)
Hi I have tons of info and need more myself