• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

running rigging specs...?

McGinnis

Member II
Please take with a grain of salt or sand and make sure the information below is going to work for you before committing.

Main Halyard- 5/16" or 3/8" 90+ distance to your clutch
Jib Halyard- 5/16" or 3/8" 90+ distance to your clutch
Spinnaker Halyard- 5/16" 110'+ distance to your clutch
Topping Lift- 3/8" 90+ distance to your clutch
Mainsheet- 3/8" 13.2 x purchase
Genoa Sheets- 7/16" 51'
Jib Sheets- 7/16" 35'
Spin Sheets- 5/16" or 3/8" Sym 80'. Asym out 105'. Asym in 85'
Tack Line- 3/8" 70'

Sta-Set, XLS and Yacht Braid work well for cruisers for halyards though I much liked the V100 we ran.

Sta-Set also works well for sheets, Regatta Braid is much more comfortable though.

Some will say "too thick", "too thin". "use X" or "use Z". Look at the load ratings, feel different lines, make sure they fit in your clutches and decide what's best for your based on how you sail your boat.

JSM

Member III
Ralph, click on the downloads & galleries tab. In the E34 owners manual there is a chart for the running rigging in section 6.
Un Tona por favor!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hving been misled by the E38 rigging specs, I agree that they should be taken as rough guides.

Use a piece of test line before ordering, and make sure you like the way it goes though the blocks.

Smallest diameter that works.

Measure the sheets for each genoa--are they long enough when winged out to maximum on whisker pole?

JSM

Member III
I used this chart when I replaced all of the running rigging on my 1987 34-2 this past spring. Can't speak for the spin sheets etc. as at this time we are jib and main only.
All lengths and diameters worked out just fine.
We used Nova Braid XLE from Cajun Trading to make up the halyards. Jib and main sheet line came from Valleyrope.com. Very happy with price and quality from both suppliers.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sizing the Halyards

"Guidelines", yes, only.
:rolleyes:

When we long ago replaced the original wire-to-rope halyards, I tried some 3/8 line and it had noticeable friction thru the sheaves at the top. It was fine in the exits, turning blocks, and clutches.
So I went with hi tech T-900 line for halyards. Less bulk so it runs freely, enough diameter for a good hand grip, and it holds in the original ST winches and in the clutches.

We have a tall rig and I would hazard a guess that the SA for an E-34 or 35 would not be too much different.

Remember that there are advantages to going with the smaller line diameter, not to mention the weight aloft saved. Less $, too.
:)

Loren