• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Nordic DT stove

Richard

Has anyone tried a Nordic DT stove. It's a combination stove and cabin heater. Seems easy enough to install, but it's a little expensive. My little 25+ still has it's original propane stove and heater, and they have to go.

Glyn Judson

Keeping it warm inside.

Dear friend, You don't mention what type of cabin heater you have other than it is propane fueled as well as your stove. Although that Nordic DT looks like a real gem and I'm sure it works well, that's a lot of cash to lay out for it. Might I suggest a far cheaper test to see if what you have now might not be sufficient with a little help? Consider getting one, two or even three of these heat powered fans: http://www.efireplacestore.com/fsd-...OvuvZ_a-M8CFYF9fgodcFwHUw&refnum=OCT-426-7864 You could fabricate an affordable 1/4" aluminum plate to fit over a stove burner (or two) and place one fan on the plate. If there is space on top of your cabin heater such as is on a Force 10 type or a Dickinson Newport, a fan could sit atop that too. Can you tell us what make the stove and cabin heater is? All the best, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heating and Cooking

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/wp-content/uploads/Wallas-Nordic-Dt-2015-Priced-s.pdf
Nice stove and heater combo. Not "cheap" but I have seen these for many years as the stock cooker & heater on well-equipped recreational fishing and cruising powerboats up to about 28 foot.
Listening in to owner conversations, they are much loved. Probably for the simplicity if for other reason. :nerd:
"Simplicity" is a very good thing for any marine system, gotta say.

Note that you cannot gimbal this stove and the exhaust vent has to go directly outside the cabin.

An aside about the "cost" : Like most stuff we put on our boats for comfort and convenience, the price only has to relate to our personal budget and the length of time we plan to own our boat and amortize out the investment in utility and pleasure.

I imagine that you'd need to d/l the install instructions and print them out enlarged, and measure 3 or 4 times... and have the actual stove on hand... and contemplate the project at bit.... before you cut any holes. :rolleyes:
My SWAG is that locating the exhaust outlet on the cabin side will be your biggest challenge.

Let us know what you decide, and do put up some pix here.

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
A friend of mine has one of these on his 26' Glacier Bay. He has been having a lot of problems with it and parts are very expensive. He loves it when it is working but is quite frustrated with it. You might try some of the sailing sites for comments.

Richard

Simplicity

Why have two different fuels on a boat. My little Yanmar GM10 burns diesel just fine, and is a very easy to maintain engine. I can easily get Diesel anywhere in Southeast Alaska. It's safer than propane, and having an open flame and propane in a small confined space is just asking for trouble. Even though The Nordic DT is a little expensive, I will be putting one on my boat. It will buy me peace of mind if nothing else. The stove/heater will eliminate the need for two separate units. Just do the maintenance and keep the fuel clean.

Next step is to convert all the lights over to LED. Any suggestions.

Thanks for all the advice
Richard

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To clarify, there is no evidence that propane use in confined spaces is "asking for trouble." Propane as a cooking or heating fuel is a long-tested technology, cheap and simple. It is popular on boats and RVs because it works, is easy to install, readily available and universally considered safe.

Richard

Propane

There is no doubt propane can be a effective fuel. But, I'm in and around commercial fisherman all the time. They tell me it is wet heat. It causes condensation inside the boat. It's humid enough in Southeast Alaska without adding more water to the air though combustion. Most of them just use diesel to cook and heat with. I'm sure they know what they are doing. I live and working in a very remote location. The only way I can have propane delivered is on a barge. Most of the Bush pilot don't what it on the plane, and for good reason.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
To clarify, there is no evidence that propane use in confined spaces is "asking for trouble." Propane as a cooking or heating fuel is a long-tested technology, cheap and simple. It is popular on boats and RVs because it works, is easy to install, readily available and universally considered safe.
"Safe" in these discussions is, of course, always relative. Alcohol is relatively safer than propane, though it has its minuses. A well installed propane installation (ABYC-compliant) is certainly safer than a hack job without the proper sensors, splices in the supply line, non-vented storage of the propane cylinder, etc. Eating cold sandwiches would be exceedingly safe and the safest course of all would be not owning the boat in the first place! :nerd:

So what is safe enough? Christian is surely correct, since I know he has in mind a properly executed propane system. (Christian is very maintenance savvy and makes certain all of his systems are installed properly. In fact, once he perfects every system on a boat he sells it so he can buy another boat to perfect! :)) Propane would be an excellent option for you--so far as cooking goes-- *provided that* you are willing to install it correctly.

In your case, you are looking for something to heat the cabin as well, so you are probably concerned about not building up moisture in the cabin. The diesel stove/oven combo seems really nice, as it would provide you with a dry heat. (Not that I know anything about boat heaters, being in southern Calif!) But you might want to seriously heed the cautions about the reliability of that unit since any system is not going to do warm you up if it is broken down most of the time. Something to look into at least.

Edit: Sent just before seeing the comments on the moisture issue connected with propane.

Last edited:

Richard

Dickinrson bulkhead mounted heater

The nordic DT stove/heater is to complicated, and I had no good options for the exhaust vent placement. So, I went with the Dickinson Newport bulkhead mounted heater. It will mount right where the old force 10 propane heater is, and the vent can go though the existing exhaust hole with little modification. My propane stove can stay until I find something better. I believe the newport will keep the boat warm dry and comfortable even in Southeast Alaska.