• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tips for removing headliner on 34-2

Simeon

Hi,

Just acquired a 1993 34-2, built by Pacific Seacraft. We are looking at rebedding all the stanchions, and will have to remove the vinyl-covered headliner to access them from below. The headliner is in very nice condition, and we'd like to keep it that way. It is attached with what look like snap buttons (they do not appear to screw out) - anyone have any tips on how to remove them without damaging them or the surrounding vinyl?
Thanks!

Sim

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Congratulations on the boat and welcome aboard.

You have one of the "newest" Ericsons on the forum. We'll need a PS owner to interpret the headliner snaps--on earlier boats the vinyl was held by battens over staples.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Sim - Welcome to the group.

To illustrate what Christian said here are a couple of pics illustrating the way Ericson attached the overhead vinyl. I think the CEO had a brother-in-law in the carbon steel staple business because no boat was complete until 5000 staples were installed. Each more rusty than the next one. :0

The pics are from when I replaced the forward hatch on my '87 E-34, but they are typical of the whole overhead.

Attachments

• Fore hatch 025B.jpg
    Fore hatch 025B.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Fore hatch 009A.jpg
    Fore hatch 009A.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 56

JSM

Member III
Simeon. Those snap buttons may indeed be snaps. Try putting a putting a thin screwdriver blade between one and gently prying it to see if it unsnaps. Congrats on your purchase. We're in Chicago and just purchased an 87 34-200 and may have looked at yours. Did you buy Calypso?