• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E28+ traveler issues

Phil Rushing

Member II
I know this must have been covered somewhere on this forum, but I can't find anything to specifically address my issue. My newly acquired 1984 E28+ has a mid-boom main sheet with a cockpit mounted traveler system. This system is not very user friendly to single handing. I find it difficult, if not impossible, to adjust (cleat and uncleat) the traveler when I'm standing behind the wheel steering the boat. I have to lock the wheel down, reposition myself in front of the wheel next to the traveler and then make my adjustment; even from there, its still difficult. This whole process is not conducive to trimming the main with the traveler. Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this? Thanks!!

Glyn Judson

Traveler convenience.

Dear friend, I replaced my awkward, factory-original track and traveler replacing it wth a dedicated track and Windward Sheeting System from Harken. I included stacked, double track-end turning blocks which allow the extra long control lines to lead aft to the wheel when laid over the cockpit cushions, photo attached. It all works like a charm. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Hull #55, Harken Windward Sheeting sys.jpg
    Hull #55, Harken Windward Sheeting sys.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 353

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"It's all in the wrist"...

Our model has a Harken mainsheet system (6 to 1). The Harken ball bearing cam cleat works well enough that when alone I can bring a loop of main sheet back to drape over the guard and when I want to take in or let out... I can flick the line up to release it, and then pull it tight to re-cleat it again.
The traveler lines on our model are not available aft, altho they could be re-led if I really want to. For single handing I just center the tackle on the traveler.

I wonder if the cleat angle on your main sheet block assembly needs to be changed?

Link to another thread: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11550-E-33-Mainsheet-upgrade&referrerid=28

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One more argument for a tiller/wheel pilot.

And not just when singlehanded. Eliminates "explaining" how to ease or trim to the crowd in the cockpit while you're trapped behind the wheel.

"No, the line with the blue flecks. Try going clockwise around the winch. No, two turns and then through the feeder arm, yeah, the shiny thing, no it's that little whatamacallit on the winch, just lay the line over it, no the other way, now jam it into the pressure plates, those round things on top, yes, but you have to jam it harder or it slips, uh, the handle has a lock, just move it with your finger, push the release with your finger, Stephanie, show him, George? George. can you move--George! Give her some room, won;t you? Just crank it--no, the other way, it's easier--Show him how, Marjorie. Wait, if you put the wine bottle down there it will tip ov....er. That's all right, it's a self-draining cockpit. Good, good, great, now stand by to come about....

Phil Rushing

Member II
Hilarious!

One more argument for a tiller/wheel pilot.

And not just when singlehanded. Eliminates "explaining" how to ease or trim to the crowd in the cockpit while you're trapped behind the wheel.

"No, the line with the blue flecks. Try going clockwise around the winch. No, two turns and then through the feeder arm, yeah, the shiny thing, no it's that little whatamacallit on the winch, just lay the line over it, no the other way, now jam it into the pressure plates, those round things on top, yes, but you have to jam it harder or it slips, uh, the handle has a lock, just move it with your finger, push the release with your finger, Stephanie, show him, George? George. can you move--George! Give her some room, won;t you? Just crank it--no, the other way, it's easier--Show him how, Marjorie. Wait, if you put the wine bottle down there it will tip ov....er. That's all right, it's a self-draining cockpit. Good, good, great, now stand by to come about....

Christian, sounds like you were on my boat one day but you changed the names to protect the innocent. Thanks for the laugh!

Phil Rushing

Member II
Our model has a Harken mainsheet system (6 to 1). The Harken ball bearing cam cleat works well enough that when alone I can bring a loop of main sheet back to drape over the guard and when I want to take in or let out... I can flick the line up to release it, and then pull it tight to re-cleat it again.
The traveler lines on our model are not available aft, altho they could be re-led if I really want to. For single handing I just center the tackle on the traveler.

I wonder if the cleat angle on your main sheet block assembly needs to be changed?

Link to another thread: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11550-E-33-Mainsheet-upgrade&referrerid=28

Loren
Loren, my main sheet block assembly works fine from behind the wheel. The issue lies with my traveler; the system is mounted such that the jam cleats are almost flush with the deck, making it impossible to cleat the traveler with the "flick of the wrist" motion you refer to. But the link you referred me to, while primarily addressing the main sheet block, does show the traveler cleats mounted up higher off the deck and on the inside of the gunwhale. I think this might work for me; I may be able to use my existing traveler system, eliminate use of the existing deck-level cleats, and install more user friendly cleats up higher located somewhere on the gunwhale. Does that make any sense? I also like Glyn's set up, but that would require a whole new, expensive traveler system.

Vagabond39

Member III
Travler cam cleats

Phil:
The cam cleats appear to be in a very ackward location. They could be located between the end block, and your position at the helm. Thus a pull upward would release them, and the travler repositioned.
Bob

Starduff

Member II
E-28 Traveler

I don't worry myself with the traveler when sailing solo. I just center it and lead the main sheet back to the rear of the cockpit. I cleat it there after setting the angle of sail I prefer. I can then adjust it if needed.
I know, it isn't perfect. But, it allows me to enjoy a sail if I don't have crew.

starduff

Polonius
E-28

Last edited:

PDX

Member III
I don't worry myself with the traveler when sailing solo. I just center it and lead the main sheet back to the rear of the cockpit. I cleat it there after setting the angle of sail I prefer. I can then adjust it if needed.
I know, it isn't perfect. But, it allows me to enjoy a sail if I don't have crew.

starduff

Polonius
E-28

You can also try vang sheeting for upwind sailing if you have a strong vang and strong boom. Center the traveler and forget about it. Next, tighten down the vang until you can notice the sail start to flatten above where the vang connects to the boom. For traveler substitution purposes that allows you to use the main sheet as you normally would a traveler. Easing the main sheet causes the boom to move horizontally instead of vertically (similar to releasing the traveler). The tight vang keeps the boom from lifting. You have to remember to release (or at least ease) the vang if you change points of sail.

Starduff

Member II
E-28 Traveller Issue

You can also try vang sheeting for upwind sailing if you have a strong vang and strong boom. Center the traveler and forget about it. Next, tighten down the vang until you can notice the sail start to flatten above where the vang connects to the boom. For traveler substitution purposes that allows you to use the main sheet as you normally would a traveler. Easing the main sheet causes the boom to move horizontally instead of vertically (similar to releasing the traveler). The tight vang keeps the boom from lifting. You have to remember to release (or at least ease) the vang if you change points of sail.

Thanks. Good point. I forgot to mention that. I always tighten down the boom vang in a breeze, especially in a race. I loosen it when running before the wind. But when sailing for fun solo, I just snug it a little and pretty much leave it there to keep the boom from lifting too much.

Starduff

Polonius
E-28

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One simple guide to mainsail set is the top batten. In perfect conditions, pointing to the theoretical limit, the top batten is almost in line with the keel.

It's a very unforgiving set, since attached flow can be easily lost.

Under sloppy, variable conditions--the other end of the spectrum--the angle of the top batten can be maximized, to deter the sail from stalling.

Adjustments in between can be made with the traveler, mainsheet, or vang.

And end-boom traveler (I don;t know if any of us has one) provides the most control of the leech. All other controls are less effective because they bend the boom, relieving the leech.

When racing, an experienced mainsail trimmer continually works traveler and mainsheet, his eye glued to the top batten and his ear attuned to the tactician's call of upcoming wind changes or approaching waves. Attached flow must be maintained above all else, in concert with the helmsman's maneuvers. The job is subtle and mentally exhausting.

The vang is most useful off the wind, when it is tightened to remove twist and present maximum area to the wind. The mainsail dead downwind is a barn door and no longer has properties of an airfoil.

Last edited:

Phil Rushing

Member II
I wonder if you could add one (or two) of these cam cleat wedges to raise and improve the angle for cleating on your system? It may help or even aliviate your problem.

http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/198804_2_LRG.jpg

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/harke...9CI2mKvHi5vBBSHYHDqAMOvQIv4-BRSokwaAiv68P8HAQ
Wow! I have a lot to learn about sail trimming! I've sailed for years, mainly dinghy sailing with boats that didn't even have a vang or an adjustable traveler. I have my work cut out! But first I need to make my traveler more user friendly when single handing. to that end, I like what Keith has to say about cam wedges. It would be an inexpensive fix and may just do the job. The angle provided by the wedge could be just what I need to be able to cleat/uncleat the traveler from behind the wheel.