• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 33/36RH Folding Mast Mounted Table

markvone

Sustaining Member
By request I'm posting pictures of the E33/36RH folding mast mounted table. You may have heard of this interesting cantilevered part unique to the two Holland designed Ericsons - or not. The table mounts to the mast, has no legs and folds up out of the way providing a large central space for 1980's IOR racers to congregate and discuss the fine points of yacht racing. The pdf is a sketch to which I can add dimensions if needed.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 93
  • E36RH Mast Table Diagram.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 103

markvone

Sustaining Member
E33/36 Table Details

Some pictures of the table details.

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 54

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like same one on a friend's E-33RH. Way cool design and intricate ss welding. plenty for room for dinner for two couples when in use.
You could almost charge admission to watch it "origami" from storage to dining positions.
:)

Loren

markvone

Sustaining Member
E33/36RH More Table details

More table detail pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2313.jpg
    IMG_2313.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 51

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
They sure knew how to make a table. What wood do you think it is? I have been saying mine is mahogany, but I have no real way of knowing. Not dark like teak, but on the other hand, not reddish like some mahogany is.

[My table turned out to be teak. In cutting it down in size a little there was no mistaking the grain, smell, and sawdust. When varnished, teak can have a definite reddish hue]

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Yep. Mine is just like that. We love the design. The only downside we have found is that, at anchorage, it rattles. 2 or 3 strategically placed towels easily take care of that, as appropriate.

rgraham

Member II
Thanks Mark

I have one of the very early 36 RH's made and the table is fixed. With a bracket bolted to the mast and a large front support similar to the support in front of the helm, complete with a hand hold loop. I like your table design much better. Are the support tubes underneath solid so that the rear of the table sides up the mast as the table is pivoted on them back into it's stored position?

Attachments

• support pole.jpg
    support pole.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 415

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Robert,

I suspect your table started out like mine and was modified at some point. Hull #7 has had its table fixed in the extended position and has a wine rack built into the end support. You get the additional hand holds and a fixed surface to put stuff on. You also have a tighter space to hold you up as you move forward while underway. The downside is you loose the open space in the center of the boat and it makes it a tight squeeze every time you go forward to the head or v-berth.

My table would begin to slide up the mast into the folded position if any weight was placed on the unsupported end and then everything on the table would slide off onto the floor. I suspect this may have caused some people to modify the table. I added a sail slide stop into the mast track above the pivot point that I tighten to lock the table in the down position (see the third picture down in post #4). When loosened, it slides up the mast track just above the table pivot as the table is folded.

The main table supports are rigid stainless tubes that pivot on a bolt through the mast near it's base. The tubes pivot to vertical when the table is folded and are parallel to the mast and hidden between the table leaves and the mast on each side.

Mark

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mast table Slider Dimension Drawing

Here are the dimensions/details of the slider which attaches the top (mast end) of the table to the mast luff groove. This piece has the Schaeffer Marine logo on it, so it was probably custom made by them. The main stainless plate has a 3/8 inch round x 4 inch long piece of plastic attached (via 4 roll pins) to hold the slider in the 3/8 inch mast luff slot. I'm going to check with Schaeffer to see if they can make a replacement since mine is starting to fall apart.

Mark

Attachments

• Mast Table Slider Dimension Dwg.pdf
    57.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 33

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Mark,

My mast has a flat slotted luff track, whereas yours must obviously be a round slot. My table slider has another perpendicular stainless plate welded to I‎t which functions as the slide up and down in the mast track. I‎t has no round plastic rod. Since that slide is metal on metal against the mast track, that is a likely source of my rattle when the boat is in an anchorage (even with a very minimal swell running through the anchorage) or with a breeze rocking the boat.

You have given me the idea to possibly take it apart and apply some Teflon or plastic strips to the slider which might quiet it as well as make it slide easier.