• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stormpocalypse

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Fellow PNW'rs...

Port of Everett just sent out notices - email, text and robocall - saying that the National Weather Service predicts a "severe storm system" will impact the Port of Everett tonight and tomorrow, with heavy rain and high winds. Latest wind-warning I've seen is for 50+ in Everett, potentially 60+ in the San Juans.

Yeah, I know, weather is always headline-news up here, and they usually blow it out of proportion. But when veteran offshore weather/routing friends of mine start saying things like "bigger than the Columbus-day storm of 1962..." it's worth thinking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm_of_1962

Port of Everett advises making sure "vessels, gear and rigging are well secured". Sounds like good advice.

$.02

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We're down in Seattle and we went out yesterday and pulled off our new genoa and brought it home. Earlier on Thursday our sailmaker (Seattle North Sails loft) sent out an e-mail to his customers (including me) offering to come out to the Seattle area marinas and remove roller furled headsails and dry them and store them at no charge. Another sign that the end is near.
:egrin:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Tornados in Manzanita and Oceanside this morning. :0
No particular warnings in my area. Still, I think I'll go make sure the furler is secure... Gusts around 30 so far.

Last edited:

Teranodon

Member III
We are told to expect gusts up to 75mph after 4PM. Went down to the marina this morning; removed the genoa, dodger and pedestal cover. Passed lines around the main and some other stuff. It's going to be messy here.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
It's going to be messy here.

Yeah. I have a friend who does weather routing for offshore racing programs. He says that the San Juans are at the "wrong end of the shotgun" on this one. Strong southerly with ~60 miles of fetch in the funnel effect of the Sound, all pointed toward the SJs.

Stay safe...

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sometimes you never know. The storm hit Port Angeles from about 1PM to about 3PM right at a very high tide. The waves actually overtopped the breakwater in the west side of the marina and destroyed a finger pier. Unfortunately two boats were tied to the finger and sustained damage. Our Club Ericson 29 was right on the other side of the pier and did not sustain any damage. Terra Nova was on the east side of the marina and was not bothered by the seas.

My pictures were taken this morning and the remnants of the finger pier were mostly removed. The shot between terra Nova and the Sorvill 33 shows the breakwater on the east side. The other shots are of the west side. Our Club Ericson is right across from the damage.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000552.JPG
    P1000552.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 61
  • P1000553.JPG
    P1000553.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000554.JPG
    P1000554.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 43
  • P1000555.JPG
    P1000555.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1000556.JPG
    P1000556.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 78

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Very glad Terra Nova is okay - you've had quite enough "adventure" for one year....

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Duwamish River at high tide

Good to hear you escaped damage in Port Angeles. How did it go at Friday Harbor? We had it pretty easy in Seattle at our marina. But Sunday afternoon at high tide (12 feet) this is what the water level looked like. This is the highest I've ever seen it. Fortunately no flooding is forecast here even with some rain continuing. The tops of the marina pilings are still 6 feet above the river.

Duwamish East Waterway bridge
20161016_Duwamish_East_Waterway01-small-crop.jpg

Marina ramp
20161016_Harbor_Island_Marina-small.jpg

Last edited: